[comp.sys.m6809] Multipak Upgrades

jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (12/08/86)

     I have been waiting for the upgrade to arrive for my old grey
Multipak interface so I can use it with my new CoCo3.  Without it
I can't use my disk controller at all (it is the original Shack
controller which requires the 12 volt line) nor can I use the disk
in conjunction with my RS-232 pak.  The local Shack has received
shipment of the upgrade kit for the later white Multipak, but not
the kit for the old grey ones.  Has anybody seen one *anywhere*?

Cheers! -- Jim O.

ingoldsby@calgary.UUCP (12/09/86)

In article <1431@lsuc.UUCP>, jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) writes:

> I can't use my disk controller at all (it is the original Shack
> controller which requires the 12 volt line) nor can I use the disk

I'm in a similar situation.  I have the old (needs 12v) disk controller
and I plan on using it with my CoCo 3.  I built Multipak like box
shortly before Radio Shack came out with the real Multipak, and have
been using it ever since.  My interface box has its own 5v supply
that tracks the computer's 5 volt supply, but since the interface didn't
need much 12 volts, I just used (and passed through to the program Paks)
the computer's +/- 12 volts.  My options are:

       1) Open the CoCo 3 and put 12 volt supplies inside it.
          I wouldn't have to touch the custom interface, but
          would void the warranty on the Coco III.

       2) I could put a 12 volt supply in the box that would
          always (even when the 5 volt supply was off) send
          12 volts to the program paks and disk controller.
          Some chips dislike having one power supply voltage
          on and others off.  I can find no reference to any
          such problems in the WD1793 spec sheets.  Does anyone
          know whether the WD1793 would dislike this situation?

       3) I could make a 12 volt supply for the interface box
          that turned on with the computer's 5 volt supply.  This
          is a little more complicated than 2.  Also, some devices
          require specific power up/power down sequences for the
          different supply voltages.  Does anyone know if the
          WD1793 (and other common program pak chips) care?
          (This is really the same question as 2).

Also, is there any problem using the Ver 1.1 Disk Basic Roms with
the new CoCo III?  I presume I won't have the DOS command, but I
could probably live without it.  Will Ver 1.2 (or whatever's newest)
plug into the ROM sockets, or do the new controllers use different
ROMs?

Any comments appreciated.

                                 Terry Ingoldsby

...ihnp4!alberta!calgary!ingoldsby

jonh@tektools.UUCP (12/11/86)

>Also, is there any problem using the Ver 1.1 Disk Basic Roms with
>the new CoCo III?  I presume I won't have the DOS command, but I
>could probably live without it.  Will Ver 1.2 (or whatever's newest)
>plug into the ROM sockets, or do the new controllers use different
>ROMs?
No problem.  From what I've collected, the III has it's own 2.0 (That's
what's newest) Disk ROM inside, which apparently is activated if the
disk controller is present @ the cartridge port.  I certainly plan to
have no problems. :-) Also, you certainly shall have your DOS command..
I've used it to reboot the demo disk at my local computer center.

---Jon Howell
_____ ___      ___ ___   __         ___
============================================  Ignore these four words.

EWTILENI@PUCC.BITNET (12/11/86)

In article <724@vaxb.calgary.UUCP>, ingoldsby@calgary.UUCP (Terry Ingoldsby) writes:

>Is there any problem using the Ver 1.1 Disk Basic Roms with
>the new CoCo III?  I presume I won't have the DOS command, but I
>could probably live without it.  Will Ver 1.2 (or whatever's newest)
>plug into the ROM sockets, or do the new controllers use different
>ROMs?

Terry... NO, there are no problems using the old ROMS, provided they are
really ROMS - EPROMS will NOT work.  The Disk Basic (which will work with
1.1 or 1.2) is exactly the same.  They did, however, change the internal
chips almost completely.

I recently purchased a new Tandy Multipak, and it works fine with the
CoCo 3 and disk controller in slot 4.  This is one of the old CoCo
controllers, so it does supply the power.  However, the pak will not
switch between multiple devices.  If you bought your Multipak within
the last 90 days, upgrade service is UNDER WARANTEE.  In general, the
multipak is a great device and should come in useful anyway...

I find the CoCo 3 a FANTASTIC machine overall!  It's potential is
really outstanding... My only quibble is with the keyboard.  It is
too high off the tabletop, the ENTER key is too small, et. al, but
other than that, my hat's off to Tandy.

- ERIC -

jonh@tektools.UUCP (Andy Davidson) (12/12/86)

>I recently purchased a new Tandy Multipak, and it works fine with the
>CoCo 3 and disk controller in slot 4.  This is one of the old CoCo
>controllers, so it does supply the power.  However, the pak will not
>switch between multiple devices.  If you bought your Multipak within
>the last 90 days, upgrade service is UNDER WARANTEE.  In general, the
>multipak is a great device and should come in useful anyway...

According to what I've collected from a freind of mine, any old multipak
with a $15 PAL chip from RS, and the MultiPak 2 (Apparently there are
3 releases, of which only the newest works on the III) will be going on
sale for $50 in January.  DISCLAIMER:  My freind said it, not my em-
ployer.. :-)  He (freind) plans to wait for the sale and swap PALs.
I hope it works, I might go that route.
	Also, has anyone found a way to make the RS-232 Pak compatible
with the CoCo III?  I have one, and I want to access UNIX at a REAL baud
rate, even if I go with a Y-pak.  (I know the 232 pak will work with
the MultiPak 3)

	Jon Howell
_____ ___      ___ ___   __         ___

pete@wlbreng1.UUCP (Pete Lyall) (12/12/86)

In article <1431@lsuc.UUCP> jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) writes:

>     I have been waiting for the upgrade to arrive for my old grey
>Multipak interface so I can use it with my new CoCo3.  Without it
>I can't use my disk controller at all (it is the original Shack
>controller which requires the 12 volt line) nor can I use the disk
>in conjunction with my RS-232 pak.  The local Shack has received
>shipment of the upgrade kit for the later white Multipak, but not
>the kit for the old grey ones.  Has anybody seen one *anywhere*?
>
>Cheers! -- Jim O.

Jim,

I understand that the decode logic in place in some of the older
Multipaks will work if you stuff your disk controller into slot 1 of
the pak.. Good Luck! Oh and YES... I have seen (and installed) the
upgrade for the older multipaks. Note that there are THREE multipak
types: 1) Old Grey 2) Old White (same as old gray) and 3) New White.
The last one requires a satellite board, while the 1st two require
only a $7.50 PAL chip.

                                                   Pete Lyall

Usenet:     {trwrb, scgvaxd, ihnp4, voder, vortex}!wlbr!wlbreng1!pete
Compuserve: 76703,4230 (OS9 SIG Sysop)
OS9 (home): (805)-985-0632 (24hr./1200 baud)
Phone:      (818)-706-5693 (work 9-5 PST)

EWTILENI@PUCC.BITNET (Eric Tilenius) (12/15/86)

>Has anyone found a way to make the RS-232 Pak compatible
>with the CoCo III?  I have one, and I want to access UNIX at a REAL baud
>rate, even if I go with a Y-pak.  (I know the 232 pak will work with
>the MultiPak 3)

There are several terminal packages available that will let you use the
CoCo 3 running 1200 baud from the back of the computer (no RS232 pak).
One of these, COLOR CONNECTION IV from Computerware, also lets you use
the RS232 pak to use baud rates of up to 9600.  With any multipak that
works, this program and the 232 pak will work.  Also, while I haven't
tried it, I understand the public domain program GREGGYTERM will let
you use true 1200 baud from the computer on the CoCo 3.  Both CC IV and
Greggyterm let you use the 40 & 80 column screens, and both have XMODEM.
CC IV also has CompuServe B protocol built-in.

I'm currenlty working with someone to try to bring out a terminal emulator
that will let you hook up to practically any mainframe.  It runs under OS-9
and will probably require the 232 pak.

- ERIC -

MCIMAIL: ETILENIUS
DELPHI : TILENIUS