[comp.sys.m6809] Upgrade from COCO2 to COCO3 problems.

res@ptsfa.UUCP (Bob Stockwell) (03/10/87)

I am posting this for a friend who doesn't have access to Usenet.
She has recently upgraded from a COCO2 to 3.  She has the
following:
COCO3
CM-8 Monitor
Multi-Pak Interface
2 Disk Drive
TP-10 Printer

Here are her questions:

1) Should the RS 26-3009 serial interface cable work to hook up a
Volksmodem(VM1)?  The cable is a 5 pin to 4 pin.

2) Will the RS232 Program Pak allow downloading to Disk.

3) When the COCO hangs up, can I reset it without turning off the
power?  I tried the "3 stooges" method - hold down Alt, Ctrl,
Reset - then release Alt and Ctrl and press Reset again - it only
works part of the time and never with disk.

4) How can I alter programs that used to run fine on my old Coco
and now won't run on Coco3?  Also, can I fix the ones that now
only run in black and white?  Since I type in a lot from Rainbow,
how can I spot those programs that will have these same problems
in the future.  (I will want to type in programs from back issues
that require more K than I used to have).

5) Why do I still get 22824 when I print mem (with Disk)?  I know
I need OS9 to use all 128K, but shouldn't I at least get what's
left of 64K?

Now back to me.

I have access to Usenet through my companies Unix machine, how
does an unaffiliated person access it.  (Is there a FIDONET, or
whatever, connection)?

Bob Stockwell
ptsfa!res

jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (03/12/87)

In article <2183@ptsfa.UUCP> res@ptsfa.UUCP (Bob Stockwell) writes:

>Here are her questions:

>2) Will the RS232 Program Pak allow downloading to Disk.

     Not as it sits.  There are public domain programs which will use
the RS-232 pak, however (Mikeyterm) and if you have OS-9 any terminal
program will use the RE-232 pak (Xcom9 in particular).

>3) When the COCO hangs up, can I reset it without turning off the
>power?  I tried the "3 stooges" method - hold down Alt, Ctrl,
>Reset - then release Alt and Ctrl and press Reset again - it only
>works part of the time and never with disk.

     I'm confused.  Why not just use the Reset button alone?  You mean
from a machine language program?

>4) How can I alter programs that used to run fine on my old Coco
>and now won't run on Coco3?  Also, can I fix the ones that now

     It depends on the program.  Some of the Rainbow stuff in BASIC need
to have speedup pokes removed.  Some machine language programs will need
to have their locations checked for address conflicts.  I can't think
of a generalized answer.

>only run in black and white?  Since I type in a lot from Rainbow,

     I take it you're talking about the high res-color programs which used
black and white signals to produce color ("artifacted color")?  They have
to be rewritten substantially.  No quick answer--just have to learn the
new color capacity in the GIME chip.

>how can I spot those programs that will have these same problems
>in the future.  (I will want to type in programs from back issues

     The color problem?  Anything that uses hi-res color is not going to
show in color.  Check the CoCo manual and it'll describe what addressing
modes will work on the new color chip.

>that require more K than I used to have).
>
>5) Why do I still get 22824 when I print mem (with Disk)?  I know

     BASIC only works within 1 - 64K addressing space.  It doesn't know
about the rest of the memory pages (at least not in terms of direct
programming space).

>I need OS9 to use all 128K, but shouldn't I at least get what's
>left of 64K?

     No, because BASIC is in the same address space as the user space and
the IO address and the screen memory.

>Now back to me.
>
>I have access to Usenet through my companies Unix machine, how
>does an unaffiliated person access it.  (Is there a FIDONET, or
>whatever, connection)?

     I don't know where you are, but I think the Well is a Fido/Usenet
gateway.  That may not help you though.

Cheers! -- Jim O.