[comp.sys.m6809] ATRUN in Unicharger

japplega@csm9a.UUCP (03/27/87)

Several years ago I bought Brian Lantz's UniCharger for OS9 and though I
have had no trouble with most of it, I have never gotten the ATRUN command
to work properly.  CRON & does run the CRON daemon which does call ATRUN.
AT does create an entry in crontab.  But ATRUN only deletes the entry...
it never executes the procedure file.  The people I talked to at Frank Hogg
Labs never understood what I was talking about...  They knew all about FLEX
but OS9 and UNIX were like another universe.... now that I am writing a BBS
for OS9 I once again have a need for AT, ATRUN, and CRON!  Has anyone had
any success with these tools... or is there really a problem in the code.

Joe Applegate - Colorado School of Mines Computing Center
	{seismo, hplabs}!hao!isis!csm9a!japplega

  *** UNIX is a philosophy, not an operating system ***

pete@wlbreng1.UUCP (03/31/87)

In article <425@csm9a.UUCP> japplega@csm9a.UUCP (Joe Applegate) writes:
>Several years ago I bought Brian Lantz's UniCharger for OS9 and though I
>have had no trouble with most of it, I have never gotten the ATRUN command
>to work properly.  CRON & does run the CRON daemon which does call ATRUN.
>AT does create an entry in crontab.  But ATRUN only deletes the entry...
>it never executes the procedure file.  The people I talked to at Frank Hogg
>Labs never understood what I was talking about...  They knew all about FLEX
>but OS9 and UNIX were like another universe.... now that I am writing a BBS
>for OS9 I once again have a need for AT, ATRUN, and CRON!  Has anyone had
>any success with these tools... or is there really a problem in the code.
>
>Joe Applegate - Colorado School of Mines Computing Center

[sorry for the having to POST this.. my mailer threw up on an 'r']

Joe,

I too had MANY problems in the implementation and execution of the
Unicharger Tools. Almost NONE of them ran out of the box, at least
not without creeping side effects!! I have no idea of how Lantz got
awa with selling that garbage, or for that matter, why Frank Hogg
didn't flag it as a Q/C failure early on..

In any case... I have either patched, disassembled & reassembled, or
outright rewritten almost all of the code that was worth saving
conceptually.

The major notables were: Cron (rewritten), Mail (rewritten - big kudos
to Kent Meyers here too!), and ATRUN. I use Cron and Atrun 24 hrs a day on
the Gimix without trouble. The mail is also online 24 hrs., as I keep
the Gimix open to remote users. You're welcome to establish an account
there if you like.

In any case, I'd be happy to send you my updated binaries & sources, but
I prefer electronic (i.e. you login and download) transfer. Last
resort would be send me a self-adressed stamped mailer. We can also
use uucp if you're amenable to that.

--
                                                   Pete Lyall

Usenet:     {trwrb, scgvaxd, ihnp4, voder, vortex}!wlbr!pete
	    	   				       !wlbreng1!pete
						       !wlpx!pwl
Compuserve: 76703,4230 (OS9 SIG Sysop)
OS9 (home): (805)-985-0632 (24hr./1200 baud)
Phone:      (818)-706-5693 (work 9-5 PST)