[comp.sys.m6809] OS9 II and Dynacalc

kdavies@dalcsug.UUCP (04/18/87)

Hi,
	A friend of mine has a Coco3 and OS9 level 2 (I think it's L II).
	Anyway, he tried using Dynacalc (Tandy version) under the 80 col
	screen mode, but it doesn't work.

	Now, I have used it on an older Coco with an 80 col. card, and
	it works fine.

	Anyone have any ideas as to what is wrong ?
	Is a new version of Dynacalc needed for Level II ??
	Should I stop asking these questions and let someone answer ?  :-)

thanks for any help.

--
Kevin Davies	 ...{seismo|watmath|utai|garfield} !dalcs!dalcsug!kdavies

Kirk :  "Spock, I do wish you'd stop using those colourful metaphors"
Spock:  "The _hell_ I will, Captain"

jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) (04/20/87)

In article <66@dalcsug.UUCP> kdavies@dalcsug.UUCP writes:
>Hi,
>	A friend of mine has a Coco3 and OS9 level 2 (I think it's L II).
>	Anyway, he tried using Dynacalc (Tandy version) under the 80 col
>	screen mode, but it doesn't work.

>	Now, I have used it on an older Coco with an 80 col. card, and
>	it works fine.
>
>	Anyone have any ideas as to what is wrong ?
>	Is a new version of Dynacalc needed for Level II ??

     I've had no problems with Dynacalc with either 40 or 80 column
screens.  Where did he put his terminal file?  Mine is in CMDS.

(I apologize for
the white space.
but the new
version of
news is to blame.
)

Cheers! -- Jim O.

--
Jim Omura, 2A King George's Drive, Toronto, (416) 652-3880
ihnp4!utzoo!lsuc!jimomura

knudsen@ihwpt.ATT.COM (mike knudsen) (04/21/87)

In article <1736@lsuc.UUCP>, jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) writes:
> In article <66@dalcsug.UUCP> kdavies@dalcsug.UUCP writes:
> >Hi,
> >	A friend of mine has a Coco3 and OS9 level 2 (I think it's L II).
> >	Anyway, he tried using Dynacalc (Tandy version) under the 80 col
> >	screen mode, but it doesn't work.
>
> >	Now, I have used it on an older Coco with an 80 col. card, and
> >	it works fine.
> >
> >	Anyone have any ideas as to what is wrong ?
> >	Is a new version of Dynacalc needed for Level II ??

The 80-column window screens supplied with Level 2 are not
as well-equipped with cursor control codes as were either
the hardware 80-column cards (PBJ WordPak, etc) and their
drivers under Level 1, or some of the software 80-column
screens for the Coco 3 that were passed around for Level 1.

In particular, the extended set of cursor controls used
by the Dynastar editor (from Frank Hogg) and implemented
in the WordPak driver are not recognized by Level 2's
windows.  So Dynastar won't work unless you buy Hogg's
upgrade, which I did.  A friend reports successfully
porting one of those Coco3 Level 1 80-column drivers
to Level 2 and getting good Dynastar results, though.
I think he got his driver from Compuserve; the one I had
from this Usenet won't hack those codes either.
If you can find such a driver and get it up under Level 2
(and watch out, the window system is NOT bug-free),
your old DynaCalc (and Dynastar) should work.

Maybe someone could write a translator program that
you would PIPE between Dyna-whatever and the Tandy-supplied
windows to convert the extended PBJ control code set to
the Tandy official set.  The original PBJ OS9 docs list
both code sets.  Any takers?

As good as Level 2 for Coco 3 is, it appears the process
of hackers replacing drivers and descriptors is already
well under way.  Oh well, that's why OS9 was created
modular in the first place ... mike k
--
Mike J Knudsen    ...ihnp4!ihwpt!knudsen  Bell Labs(AT&T)
    Delphi: RAGTIMER    CIS: <memory failure, too many digits>