[comp.sys.m6809] C compiler performance

authorplaceholder@gorgo.UUCP.UUCP (05/10/87)

Larry Harmon writes:
>	I spent a few hours toying with the Microware Level I C compiler
>this past weekend and I had some success with speeding up the process both
>with preloading the c steps and also with using pipes.

Several years ago, James Jones (Now employed at Microware) wrote a new
'cc' driver for the Level II C compiler that loads all of the passes of
the compiler and connects them with pipes. I believe that this was
submitted to the OS9 users group. Write to mcrware!jejones about this.

  Steve Blasingame (Oklahoma City)
  ihnp4!gorgo!bsteve

tds@ojibwa.UUCP (05/19/87)

   I just got a Disto 512K ramdisk the other day.  Would you believe
>>10 SECONDS<< to compile and load a "hello, world" C program!  A
60-liner only took 50 seconds.  I'm in love!

     Tim Sirianni

neals@tekigm2.TEK.COM (Neal Sedell) (05/22/87)

In article <16800002@ojibwa> tds@ojibwa writes:

>   I just got a Disto 512K ramdisk the other day.  Would you believe
>>>10 SECONDS<< to compile and load a "hello, world" C program!  A
>60-liner only took 50 seconds.  I'm in love!

Under what circumstances?  With all the passes pre-loaded?  (If so how
much memory was left?)  What clock speed?  Pipes between applicable passes
or temporary files? (probably not as significant with a ramdisk...)
Optimizer pass enabled?  When I was using a ramdisk with my COCO II/Level 1
system I believe the time was around 60 seconds, half of which was spent in
c.prep, c.pass1 and c.pass2.  Notice the gawd-awful performance hit when 50+
lines are added!!!  Where they linking with everything including the kitchen
sink? ;-)

Neal Sedell

vodall@hpfcdq.UUCP (05/26/87)

>   I just got a Disto 512K ramdisk the other day.  Would you believe
>>>10 SECONDS<< to compile and load a "hello, world" C program!  A
>60-liner only took 50 seconds.  I'm in love!

Are you using a Coco III or Coco II?  I'm having a heck of a time trying
to get the compiler to run with a J&R ramdisk because of the memory
limitation on a Coco II.  And there's no chance when I try to use the
"real" terminal logged in as an additional user.  I admit it, I'm hopelessly
spoiled and can't use the coco's slow disk drives, plastic keyboard or
32 character lines.  The Microware C is very complete but it's just too much
for the little computer.  If I don't find a version soon I'm going to port
my FLEX version of Small-C to OS9.

Bill Vodall

tds@ojibwa (05/27/87)

Sorry i omitted the details.  I did everything possible to speed up the
process:  loaded all the c.* files into main memory (leaves quite a bit
               of memory left about 200K?)
          put the "defs" and "lib" directories into ramdisk,
          used pipes between c.prep, c.pass1 and c.pass2 (omitting c.opt
               to save more time)
          directed intermediate and executable files to ramdisk.

As far as clock speed, i didn't do anything (that i know of) to change
it from the default you come up with under coco 3/level II.  I guess
thats 1.8 MHz, right?

I used the standard lib/clib.l file.

BTW, i had to code up my own driver for the disto ramdisk.  the floppy
they sent had only the drivers for the add-ins:  clock, parallel printer,
etc.  I don't think i did *that* good a job to account for the difference
in results you report.  (I said a "hello, world" program compiled to
executable in 10 seconds, you said 60).

As far as the 60-liner taking 50 seconds:  hey, that still ain't bad!!
(and no annoying grinding sounds from the disks)

tim sirianni