[comp.sys.m6809] OS9 Backup util

df1b+@andrew.cmu.edu (David R. Fulmer) (08/10/87)

The backup command that is supplied with OS9 (both levels!!!) refuses to
backup a disk onto another disk that was formatted differently.  This makes
sense in that you can't backup a 40 track disk onto a 35 track disk.
Unfortunately this won't let you backup a 35 track disk to a 40 track disk.
Is there "something" that will let you do this.  It shouldn't be that hard to
do - just backup the first 35 tracks, then mark the sectors on track 0 to say
that its really a 40 track disk.

If anyone knows of "something" to do this, I'd appreciate hearing....

Dave Fulmer
df1b+@andrew.cmu.edu  (arpa)
df1b+%andrew.cmu.edu@cmccvma  (bitnet)
...!seismo!andrew.cmu.edu!df1b+

pete@wlbr.EATON.COM (Pete Lyall) (08/12/87)

There is a tool called 'DUP' floating around that will do what you are
looking for. I believe it has a ceiling of 800 ($800 ?) sectors on
the target device (why??). It appeared here on the net about 1.5 years
back, methinks..

--
                                                   Pete Lyall

Usenet:     {trwrb, scgvaxd, ihnp4, voder, vortex}!wlbr!pete
Compuserve: 76703,4230 (OS9 Sysop) OS9 (home): (805)-985-0632 (24hr./1200 baud)

ww0n+@andrew.cmu.edu (Walter Lloyd Wimer, III) (08/12/87)

> From: df1b+@andrew.cmu.edu (David R. Fulmer)
>
> The backup command that is supplied with OS9 (both levels!!!) refuses to
> backup a disk onto another disk that was formatted differently.  This makes
> sense in that you can't backup a 40 track disk onto a 35 track disk.
> Unfortunately this won't let you backup a 35 track disk to a 40 track disk.
> Is there "something" that will let you do this.  It shouldn't be that hard to
> do - just backup the first 35 tracks, then mark the sectors on track 0 to say
> that its really a 40 track disk.
>
> If anyone knows of "something" to do this, I'd appreciate hearing....
>

> Dave Fulmer
> df1b+@andrew.cmu.edu  (arpa)
> df1b+%andrew.cmu.edu@cmccvma  (bitnet)
> ...!seismo!andrew.cmu.edu!df1b+

Try using something like:

	OS9: chd /d0
	OS9: dsave -s32 /d0 /d1 ! shell

which copies all files on /d0 to /d1 and produces NO FRAGMENTATION.
You better check the syntax for dsave; I'm just typing from the top
of my head and could be wrong. . . .  Good luck.

Walt Wimer
Carnegie Mellon University

Internet:  ww0n+@andrew.cmu.edu
Bitnet:    ww0n+%andrew.cmu.edu@cmuccvma
UUCP:      ...!{seismo, ucbvax, harvard}!andrew.cmu.edu!ww0n+

df1b+@andrew.cmu.edu (David R. Fulmer) (08/12/87)

In article <1113@wlbr.EATON.COM> pete@wlbr.EATON.COM (Pete Lyall) writes:
>There is a tool called 'DUP' floating around that will do what you are
>looking for. I believe it has a ceiling of 800 ($800 ?) sectors on
>the target device (why??). It appeared here on the net about 1.5 years
>back, methinks..

Well, unfortunately I don't have access to net stuff from a year ago, so can
some kind soul either mail it to me, or if there's interest, could someone
post it?

Thanks!

df1b+@andrew.cmu.edu (David R. Fulmer) (08/13/87)

In article <YV7wkxy00UoLpTo0=-@andrew.cmu.edu> ww0n+@andrew.cmu.edu (Walter
Lloyd Wimer, III) writes:
>Try using something like:
>
>	OS9: chd /d0
>	OS9: dsave -s32 /d0 /d1 ! shell
>
>which copies all files on /d0 to /d1 and produces NO FRAGMENTATION.

Yea, I know all about dsave, but I want to avoid the 15 minute process that
this involves!!!