[comp.sys.m6809] Is there anything better than the standard shell?

davis@utx1.UUCP (Gary A. Davis) (11/16/87)

Is there any better SHELL available for OS9 LII (CoCo) than the one supplied?
I would like to have a few of the features I have come to appreciate in the
UNIX ksh such as history and wild-card expansion. Other nice things would be
environment variables (especially PATH with an appropriate fork that would
search the path).

I am aware of a mod to the keyboard driver what allows command line editing
(could someone post this) which would be useful.

Thanks,
Gary Davis
Sugar Software
--
  Gary A. Davis
  Racal-Milgo, P.O. Box 407044, Fort Lauderdale, Fl 33340, (305) 476-4393

  {allegra,codas}!novavax!utx1!davis

belmonte@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Matthew Belmonte) (11/19/87)

In article <1792@utx1.UUCP> davis@utx1.UUCP (Gary A. Davis) writes:
>Is there any better SHELL available for OS9 LII (CoCo) than the one supplied?
>I would like to have a few of the features I have come to appreciate in the
>UNIX ksh such as history and wild-card expansion. Other nice things would be
>environment variables (especially PATH with an appropriate fork that would
>search the path).

a clarification - the fork syscall doesn't search the path.  the shell looks
up the correct path for a given program name and hands the full path name to
fork (or, more precisely for UNIX, forks and then hands the full path name to
execve).  i don't know much about level 2 (it's been about a year since i've
fired up my old level 1 system), but it seems that if you have source code or a
good disassembler or debugger, it wouldn't be much of a problem to add or patch
in a history mechanism.  UNIX-style environment variables would be more
difficult, i think, because they're a function of the operating system.  such
a modification would involve rewriting the F$fork call.
as for a path variable, that's possible, although it does involve the overhead
of searching the entire path when the shell starts up or when you do a rehash.
this may or may not be acceptable, depending on how fast your main i/o device
is.  for floppies i think it's not worth it.  it would be nice if you have a
hard disk or RAM disk, though.

Disclaimer:  my 6809 hacking days are over, so don't expect me to do any of
this.  i'm still wondering whether i'm better off now with Turing machines...
--
Matthew Belmonte
Internet:	belmonte@svax.cs.cornell.edu