[comp.sys.m6809] tsmon/login

jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) (11/24/87)

     I long time ago Bob Santy gave me a patch to use Level I 'tsmon/
login' with Level II for the CoCo3.  I never got around to using it,
but knowing Bob, I expecte it works.  Anyway, I bought the Development
System and got 'tsmon' and 'login' again.  This being a kit specifically
for the CoCo3, I expected these modules to work without changes.
Again, I hadn't gotten around to trying it until today.  Well, I
tried logging on from a remote through /t2 today and I couldn't
do it.  After numerous failures, it crashed.  Does this set of
utilities need a patch or did I just have bad luck today?  Anybody
else try these versions of 'tsmon/login' successfully?

Header for:  Tsmon
Module size: $0081    #129
Module CRC:  $2434B6 (Good)
Hdr parity:  $A9
Exec. off:   $001A    #26
Data Size:   $01C8    #456
Edition:     $08      #8
Ty/La At/Rv: $11 $81
Prog mod, 6809 obj, re-en, R/O

Header for:  Login
Module size: $04C4    #1220
Module CRC:  $19CBE4 (Good)
Hdr parity:  $E8
Exec. off:   $015D    #349
Data Size:   $024D    #589
Edition:     $10      #16
Ty/La At/Rv: $11 $81
Prog mod, 6809 obj, re-en, R/O

--
Jim Omura, 2A King George's Drive, Toronto, (416) 652-3880
ihnp4!utzoo!lsuc!jimomura

--

pete@wlbr.EATON.COM (Pete Lyall) (11/24/87)

In article <2220@lsuc.UUCP> jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) writes:

>     I long time ago Bob Santy gave me a patch to use Level I 'tsmon/
>login' with Level II for the CoCo3.  I never got around to using it,
>but knowing Bob, I expecte it works.  Anyway, I bought the Development
>System and got 'tsmon' and 'login' again.
> (text removed)
>I tried logging on from a remote through /t2 today and I couldn't
>do it.  After numerous failures, it crashed.

Jim -

Haven't tried those myself yet, but I did (with Kent Meyers) author
the patch for the Level I Version 2.00.00 LOGIN that was published in
the 'Inside Level II' book by Kevin Darling. The main problem is that
user ID is set in level 1 by getting into the system's/your process
descriptor and hand-stuffing the USERID in there. Under level II, you
can't get at your process descriptor (at least not this way) and thus
you end up corrupting your *own* data memory (Login's). The patch
simply overwrote the section of code that did the manual-stuffing and
changed it to a f$susr call (set user ID - a user mode system call
available only in Level II). The other changes were cosmetic (altering
the login banner, etc.). Note - these patches were specifically
written for the Login found on the 2.00.00 master disk (Level I).
Login was different in the earlier releases, on each one in fact.
TSmon should work right off the level I disk, but it forks the Login,
which must be modified. If Tandy distributed LI Login to LII users
they should be shot.

P.S. Need you to get in touch with me re: UG when you get a chance.

--
Pete Lyall (OS9 Users Group V.P.)             Eaton Corporation (818)-706-5693
Compuserve: 76703,4230 (OS9 Sysop) OS9 (home): (805)-985-0632 (24hr./1200 baud)

jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (11/30/87)

     I forgot I posted that "problem" report!  It turns out that there's
*no* problem with the new versions of 'tsmon/login'.  I forgot to
set my modem up properly to not send results or echo to the modem
port.  It was throwing garbage back at 'login'.  Hey, look, I've
been working with 2 modems on the QT for a *long* time now.  I
*forgot* about setting up the modem for incoming calls. :-)

Cheers! -- Jim O.