[comp.sys.m6809] Kermit for the CoCo3

nujohnso@ndsuvax.UUCP (C. E. Johnson) (11/23/87)

Does anyone know if there is a Kermit protocol terminal emulator program (whew)
for the CoCo3 (preferably using 80-cols)?  The Kermit I have now was for the
CoCo1, and because of some change in the disk memory or something, it crashes
whenever the disk drive is accessed.  If the program runs in the OS9
environment that would be great.  As I understand it, Kermit programs are
public domain.  Am I correct with this understanding?

Thanks in advance.
Ceej.
BITNET: nu108642@ndsuvm1
UUCP: uunet!ndsuvax!nujohnso   <-- Not too sure about this.  I am rather new
                                   with this network.  Is that the format you
                                   use with UUCP?
Gad, I feel like such a beginner!

pete@wlbr.EATON.COM (Pete Lyall) (11/24/87)

Re: Kermit and OS9 (and Coco3) ...

We have been using the v1.6 Kermit for sometime. It has its
shortcomings, but it does work. James Jones has recently submitted a
hacked version of 1.5 that has some of the problems in 1.6 taken care
of. As soon as we either get James' 1.5 operational on the '09 or
determine we're better off with the 1.6, I'll post either UUENCODED
copy or perhaps a UUENCODED .AR file. Would like to stay away from
BEX due to size, but that's an option too.

--
Pete Lyall (OS9 Users Group V.P.)             Eaton Corporation (818)-706-5693
Compuserve: 76703,4230 (OS9 Sysop) OS9 (home): (805)-985-0632 (24hr./1200 baud)

ww0n+@andrew.cmu.edu.UUCP (11/25/87)

Kermit is not exactly public domain; it is copyrighted by
Columbia University in order to protect it from improper use.  Kermit
may be freely distributed and you are encouraged to write versions
for new computers or improve existing versions if you so desire.  The
copyright prohibits selling Kermit for profit and entitles everyone
to a copy for free (or reproduction-costs only.  Columbia charges ~$100
for the five-magtape distribution which contains *all* kermit versions.)

There is an OS-9 Kermit which is based upon the original Unix Kermit
from long ago.  I still haven't gotten around to building it (it's in C),
so I can't say too much about it.  I get the feeling, though, that everyone
would like something a little better.  I also hear mention of various
other non-Kermit terminal emulators (MickeyTerm, GreggyTerm???) which
someone else may be able to elaborate upon.

I believe Bob Larson once took on the task of porting C-Kermit to
OS-9/68000.  I have no idea what has happened on that front.  Any ideas
guys?  Recently, I've become the "Kermit god" at Carnegie Mellon -- working
with Kermit-MS (for the IBM PC) and C-Kermit (for our distributed
Unix workstation environment, Andrew).  I may consider trying to port
C-Kermit (or some subset) to OS-9/6809 on the CoCo3, but don't hold
your breath.  I definitely couldn't get to it until summer. . . .

Walt Wimer
Carnegie Mellon University

Internet:  ww0n+@andrew.cmu.edu
Bitnet:    ww0n+%andrew.cmu.edu@cmccvb
UUCP:      ...!psuvax1!andrew.cmu.edu!ww0n+

blarson@skat.usc.edu (Bob Larson) (11/25/87)

In article <gVeitpy00ja953g0=8@andrew.cmu.edu> ww0n+@andrew.cmu.edu (Walter Lloyd Wimer, III) writes:

>Kermit is not exactly public domain; it is copyrighted by
>Columbia University in order to protect it from improper use.  Kermit
>may be freely distributed and you are encouraged to write versions
>for new computers or improve existing versions if you so desire.  The
>copyright prohibits selling Kermit for profit and entitles everyone
>to a copy for free (or reproduction-costs only.

(The kermit protocol may be included in a commercial product as long as
the price of the product is not raised.)

>Columbia charges ~$100
>for the five-magtape distribution which contains *all* kermit versions.)

Columbia charges $100/tape.  (2 for micros, 2 for mini/mainframes, and
1 of misc. associated programs.)

>There is an OS-9 Kermit which is based upon the original Unix Kermit
>from long ago.  I still haven't gotten around to building it (it's in C),
>so I can't say too much about it.  I get the feeling, though, that everyone
>would like something a little better.

>I believe Bob Larson once took on the task of porting C-Kermit to
>OS-9/68000.  I have no idea what has happened on that front.

1.6 works on both 6809 and 68k os9, and is what Columbia and the os9
users group are distributing.  (You can get it on os9 floppy from FHL
for $10.)  I gave 1.7 to several people, but they have had mixed
success with it on 6809 systems.  (It works nice on my QT+)

> I may consider trying to port
>C-Kermit (or some subset) to OS-9/6809 on the CoCo3, but don't hold
>your breath.  I definitely couldn't get to it until summer. . . .

C-Kermit is BIG.  Spliting it up into multiple processes will be a lot
of work.  I should get around to finishing the osk port I am
working on sometime.  (It's what I have been using the past 6 months.)
--
Bob Larson		Arpa: Blarson@Ecla.Usc.Edu
Uucp: {sdcrdcf,cit-vax}!oberon!skat!blarson		blarson@skat.usc.edu

davis@utx1.UUCP (Gary A. Davis) (12/01/87)

in article <gVeitpy00ja953g0=8@andrew.cmu.edu>, ww0n+@andrew.cmu.edu
 (Walter Lloyd Wimer, III) says:

> There is an OS-9 Kermit which is based upon the original Unix Kermit
> from long ago.  I still haven't gotten around to building it (it's in C),
> so I can't say too much about it.

> I may consider trying to port
> C-Kermit (or some subset) to OS-9/6809 on the CoCo3, but don't hold
> your breath.  I definitely couldn't get to it until summer. . . .

I know there is an RSDOS Kermit. I tried it once, long ago and I couldn't get
it to talk to UNIX Kermit. I did not spend much time on it. Lately, I have
been using Wiz (Frank Hogg) which includes xmodem and Kermit (OS9). I
couldn't get Xmodem to work so I tried Kermit and it did work, though a bit
slow. The Kermit portion of the Wiz package is separate and you have to
suspend Wiz, switch to another window and start up Kermit for connects, gets,
sends, etc.

Kermit uses the standard aciapak/t2 driver and descriptor and Wiz uses its
own versions. The kermit connect works fine for a terminal emulator and the
reason I use Wiz is for its auto login, print-through and/or VT52 emulation.
Not much Kermit doc is supplied and no support. It is provided as a service
to the user. I am not sure of the version number, if it is current or who did
the port. Source is not provided.

I think Kermit is available in the OS9 User Group library and possibly on
Delphi or CompuServe.

Gary Davis
Sugar Software
--
  Gary A. Davis
  Racal-Milgo, P.O. Box 407044, Fort Lauderdale, Fl 33340, (305) 476-4393

  {allegra,codas}!novavax!utx1!davis

david@ukma.UUCP (12/04/87)

kermit will work with 3rd party serial drivers.  I've used it
with the sio driver I got off of delphi ...
--
<---- David Herron -- The E-Mail guy            <david@ms.uky.edu>
<---- or:                {rutgers,uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET