[comp.sys.m6809] rs232 Needed

isingh@watmath.UUCP (12/04/87)

 I am in need of a couple of things. First I phoned up Radio Scrap and they said they no longer have any Deluxe RS232 Packs. This is what I need to run a
 BBS at 300/1200 baud right? Well I also need a good bbs program.

 I have COCO 3 128k
 fd drives (2 of them)
 multi pack
 cm8 monitor
 etc....

 I would like to start a bbs, but I am not sure as to where to find the programs and rs232 pack. I would be interested in hearig from anyone who know about
 such things. I have run bbs's before on other systems ad I would like to do
 so on my coco. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
   Ivan

EWTILENI@pucc.UUCP (12/05/87)

> I have COCO 3 128k

That says it all right there.  You DO NOT need an RS-232 Pak, then.

The CoCo 3 can EASILY run 1200 baud out of the bitbanger port on the back
of the computer, using halfway decent software, and if you have a well
written program, it can do 2400 baud full duplex WITHOUT using the RS232
Program pak.

Now... if you want to talk at 9600 baud, that's a different story...

- ERIC -             * Another proud CoCo 3 user *        ______________
                                                         |              |
BITNET:ewtileni@pucc | ARPA:ewtileni@pucc.Princeton.EDU  | ColorVenture |
CompuServe: 70346,16 | MCI Mail and/or Delphi: TILENIUS  |______________|
PHONE :609-734-0092  | UUCP:{rutgers,cbosgd,cmcl2}!psuvax1!pucc.BITNET!ewtileni

pete@wlbr.UUCP (12/07/87)

In article <3986@pucc.Princeton.EDU> EWTILENI@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:
>> I have COCO 3 128k
>
>That says it all right there.  You DO NOT need an RS-232 Pak, then.
>
>The CoCo 3 can EASILY run 1200 baud out of the bitbanger port on the back
>of the computer, using halfway decent software, and if you have a well
>written program, it can do 2400 baud full duplex WITHOUT using the RS232
>Program pak.
>
>BITNET:ewtileni@pucc | ARPA:ewtileni@pucc.Princeton.EDU  | ColorVenture |

Wrong. Unless you wish to program the interval timer and poll the bit
banger (highly unsatisfactory, unless you are single-tasking) at the
designated intervals, it doesn't work worth a hoot. Reason: the
idiotic engineers set up the interrupt generation logic on the receive
data line so that an interrupt is kicked off on the *rising* edge.
This is directly opposite of the way a serial (asynch) character is
normally signalled.. that is, with a start bit (low - falling edge).
Now, if you want to clip that inverter out of the circuit and spend
some time rewriting SIO *then* serial port operations out of the bit
banger could be satisfactory, but will still be more cpu-expensive
than the RS-232 pak, or equivalent.

--
Pete Lyall (OS9 Users Group V.P.)             Eaton Corporation (818)-706-5693
Compuserve: 76703,4230 (OS9 Sysop) OS9 (home): (805)-985-0632 (24hr./1200 baud)

koonce@wheatena (tim koonce) (12/08/87)

In article <1153@wlbr.EATON.COM> pete@wlbr.UUCP (0000-Pete Lyall) writes:
>In article <3986@pucc.Princeton.EDU> EWTILENI@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:
>>The CoCo 3 can EASILY run 1200 baud out of the bitbanger port on the back
>>of the computer
>
>Wrong. Unless you wish to program the interval timer and poll the bit...
>--
>Pete Lyall (OS9 Users Group V.P.)

Here we have an excellent example of OS9 snobbery.  <grin>

You're right, but only under OS9.  Under RSDOS, things work
differently.  In fact, programming the interval timer and polling the
bitbanger is pretty easy, and doesn't use up such enormous amounts of
time as you might think, even at 2400 baud, if the routines are
carefully written.  I've done it, and it works.  As a round guess, I
think you could probably get up to 4800 baud and still have about 50%
of the processor time available for foreground stuff, under RSDOS.
Clearly, this won't work well under OS9 because of the overhead time
in servicing interrupts under OS9.  In fact, under OS9, it makes sense
to off-load the processor as much as possible, to allow time for
multitasking.  But if you're single-tasking under RSDOS, and you have
the processor time, it makes a lot of sense to use it, if it can
cut down on hardware costs.

Of course, if you're running a BBS which is probably written in BASIC,
(which I beleive was the original question), then you probably have
enough time problems already, and the RS232pak becomes necessary
again.  (Plus, I abhor switching cables between the modem and printer!
:-)

Tim Koonce
|ARPA:   koonce@bosco.berkeley.edu       |                                    |
|Delphi: TIMKOONCE    CIS:72276,1135     |                                    |

pete@wlbr.EATON.COM (Pete Lyall) (12/12/87)

In article <1455@cartan.Berkeley.EDU> koonce@bosco.edu (tim koonce) writes:
>In article <1153@wlbr.EATON.COM> pete@wlbr.UUCP (0000-Pete Lyall) writes:
>>In article <3986@pucc.Princeton.EDU> EWTILENI@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:
>>>The CoCo 3 can EASILY run 1200 baud out of the bitbanger port on the back
>>>of the computer
>>
>>Wrong. Unless you wish to program the interval timer and poll the bit...
>>--
>>Pete Lyall (OS9 Users Group V.P.)
>
>Here we have an excellent example of OS9 snobbery.  <grin>
>
>You're right, but only under OS9.  Under RSDOS, things work
>differently.  In fact, programming the interval timer and polling the
>bitbanger is pretty easy, and doesn't use up such enormous amounts of
>time as you might think, even at 2400 baud, if the routines are
>carefully written.  I've done it, and it works.

Guilty as charged..<grin right back>.

I certainly consider the OS9 environment to be an order of magnitude
more powerful than RS-DOS. And regarding RS-DOS and serial drivers,
I'm *painfully* aware of the intricacies and the pitfalls.. back in
the 'dark days' before OS9 was widely commercially available, I spent
over a year developing the machine language driver and underlayer for
the COLORAMA BBS system (the BASIC was written by Peter Banz of
Ceratec in Austin, TX - all BASIC flames to him ;^}). As an aside, it
was primarily developed under FLEX (on a COCO w/ a VT-100).

Back to present time..

I believe the interrupt logic to signal the arrival of a start bit is
still hosed up - detects and triggers on the rising edge of the bit
window.. should detect on falling. If that were the case, then I'd
agree - you wouldn't have to babysit the port waiting for start bit
arrival. Obvious solution is to short the CD line to the Rxd line and
use the carrier detect interrupt instead.

--
Internet: pete@wlbr.eaton.com  UUCP: {ihnp4,scgvax,jplgodo,voder}!wlbr!pete