[comp.sys.m6809] Help On Kermit Under OS9

gibb@cgofs.dec.com (John Gibb Support Eng. Western Canada) (12/15/87)

I have a question regarding Kermitos9 version 1.6. I am using /t1 and
what is happening is that it transmits fine but I don't know if it is
receiving, that is there is nothing been echoed on the screen. I have
tried iniz /t1 as will as shell i=/t1&. I am running level 2 of os9 and
I have tried it under level 1 and it does the same thing. Is there anyone
out there that is using kermit through the bit banger port?. Is there a
problem running kermit using /t1?. Thanks in advance... John Gibb

pete@wlbr.EATON.COM (Pete Lyall) (12/17/87)

In article <8712142034.AA21646@decwrl.dec.com> gibb@cgofs.dec.com (John Gibb Support Eng. Western Canada) writes:
>I have a question regarding Kermitos9 version 1.6. I am using /t1 and
>what is happening is that it transmits fine but I don't know if it is
>receiving, that is there is nothing been echoed on the screen. I have
>tried iniz /t1 as will as shell i=/t1&. I am running level 2 of os9 and
>I have tried it under level 1 and it does the same thing. Is there anyone
>out there that is using kermit through the bit banger port?. Is there a
>problem running kermit using /t1?. Thanks in advance... John Gibb

Firstly, the INIZ shouldn't hurt anything, but the shell will. The
shell will block other I/O while it sits there waiting for a command
with an I$readln..

Secondly, you're really not supposed to see anything during a Kermit
receive. What you could do to verify that the file is being received
is pop to another window and see if the size of the file increases
every now and again (it is buffered, and pre-extension occurs, so
you'll likely see the file grow in chunks of $800 if floppy or $2000
if hard disk).

Last - the bit banger is a poor choice for full duplex communications
under OS9. A hardware serial port is much easier on the CPU and you
have a significantly greater chance of getting the protocol transfer
done successfully.
--
Pete Lyall (OS9 Users Group V.P.)             Eaton Corporation (818)-706-5693
Compuserve: 76703,4230 (OS9 Sysop) OS9 (home): (805)-985-0632 (24hr./1200 baud)