[comp.sys.m6809] RS-232 Program Pak Problems

mdk1@cblpf.ATT.COM (Michael King) (02/01/88)

I have been having problems with my Radio Shack RS-232 Program Pak.  When I
try to connect to the Amdahl here at AT&T, I get the  carrier signal, then
when I switch the modem from talk to data, I get garbage on my screen.  I'm
using the pak with a Coco3, an upgraded Multipak Interface, and Datapack
III+ communications software.  I've checked the baud (1200), word length
(8), stop bit (1), and parity (even) and everything is set correctly.  The
tin lands on the pak look like they've oxidized a little.  I used an eraser to
try to get the oxidation off and it works sometimes.  Other times, it has no
affect.  Usually, after rubbing and rubbing, I can get the pak to work,
but if I shut it down for even a few seconds, I get the same problem.  Is
anyone else having this problem?  What have you done to correct it?

Any help is appreciated.

Mike King
..!ihnp4!cbosgd!cblpf!mdk1

UUCP:..!ihnp4!cbosgd!cblpf!mdk1 |"What's the point in being grown-up |- The

pete@wlbr.EATON.COM (Pete Lyall) (02/02/88)

In article <1017@cblpf.ATT.COM> mdk1@cblpf.ATT.COM (41450-Michael King) writes:

>I have been having problems with my Radio Shack RS-232 Program Pak.....

Mike -

The RS-232 pak under LII has problems with dropped interrupts. This is
primarily because of the GIME, and the way interrupts are managed
(edge vice level sensing is employed). Many/most folks have gotten
around this by running a PHYSICAL IRQ jumper out of the pak and into
the CPU.

You find the little blue jumper wire that currently connects to pin 8
on the RS-232 pak.. it connects to a point about 1/4" to the left.
Remove this jumper, and connect a wire to what was the left connection
point. Run this out the side of the pak, and connect a plug to it (I
use a subminiature phone plug). On the coco end, connect a line to the
CPU's IRQ pin (pin 3). The easiest place to do this is on the pull up
resistor for the IRQ line... I believe it's R2, but I'm not near a
coco or schematic at the moment. Best bet is to check with an ohm
meter from PIN 3 of the 6809 to that bunch of resistors in the upper
right hand corner of the board (from the front). Connect this to a
suitable jack and mount it on the case. Voila - instant REAL IRQ buss.
(I also use this same IRQ bus for other paks, such as my Hard Disk
HCA, and in the past the PBJ pcpak/rtc). This will make the interrupt
operation MUCH better re: the ACIAPAK devices (I use T2 and T3).

Another thing is that the UART used in the RS-232 pak - a 6551 - has
some design flaws... it'll stop a character  IN MID BIT if the Clear
to send line is disabled. Best bet is to jumper pins 4 to 5 (RTS to
CTS) on the RS-232 pak connector. Also, unless you NEED carrier
sensing, jumper 6,8, and 20 also (DSR/DCD/DTR).. The 6551 also loses
transmit capability if DCD is not present.

If none of the above helps, try a different pak. Also, have you
tried a different terminal package?

--
Pete Lyall (OS9 Users Group VP)|  DELPHI: OS9UGVP  |  Eaton Corp.(818)-706-5693
Compuserve: 76703,4230 (OS9 Sysop) OS9 (home): (805)-985-0632 (24hr./1200 baud)

koonce@ronzoni (tim koonce) (02/02/88)

In article <1017@cblpf.ATT.COM> mdk1@cblpf.ATT.COM (41450-Michael King) writes:

>I have been having problems with my Radio Shack RS-232 Program Pak.

I don't know whether or not Datapack III+ operates in the 2mhz mode,
but I suspect it does, and if so, that may be the culprit.  I've heard
a number of complaints about the RS-232 pak which were eventually
traced to the 6551.  Many of the older paks had 6551's which won't
work with the 2 mhz clock rate.  If yours is one of these, the
simplest fix is to replace the whole pak (if you can find one!), or at
least the 6551.  I'm not sure if that's your problem, but I have heard
about this happening.  If it works fine under programs such as
Mikeyterm, or the built-in comm program, then that is probably the
problem.  Try using the program built-in to the pak, (or any other
comm program which doesn't know about the 2 mhz clock.  Greg-e-Term,
for example, may use the fast clock on the 3) just to see if
everything works.  If so, then it may well be the clock speed that's
hurting you.

                                 - Tim koonce@bosco.berkeley.edu

"Graduate assistant: it's not just a job, it's an indenture."

|Bitnet: koonce%bosco.Berkeley.edu@jade.berkeley.bitnet                       |
|ARPA:   koonce@bosco.berkeley.edu     Delphi: TIMKOONCE    CIS:72276,1135    |