[comp.sys.m6809] I see the light!

mdk1@cblpf.ATT.COM (Michael King) (03/17/88)

Enough already!  I say, "UNCLE!" I promise never to use scanf, printf,
putc, getc, highsea, Hi-C, or any of the other formatted-non-formatted C
language subroutines known in the free world. (Cross my heart and hope to
die!:-)).  I think this subject has been beaten into submission.  Let's
move on to new business.

To all of you who responded to my problem with my RS232 program pak...
I am still trying to find someone who sells that 6551A UART IC in Columbus.
However, I have had some luck in getting my RS232 pak to work properly.
I have a large piece of glass that covers the top of my desk and my
Multipak Interface was not sitting completely on the glass.  The glass is only
about 1/16th of an inch thick, but it was enough to put some stress on the
card edge connector stuck into the Coco as the
interface rested on the glass and desk.  I moved the glass so that the MPI
and CoCo are completely on the glass and so far
I haven't had any problems.  I would still like to upgrade to the 6551A,
but our 3 month old baby is taking up most of my free time.  Maybe
someday...  Anyway, thanks once again to everyone who sent advice.

Has anyone downloaded any of the icon editors that Dale Pucket discussed in
the April issue of Rainbow Magazine?  Do they work well?  Speaking of Rainbow,
I see that some of you subscribe to Delphi and CIS.  Do you consider them
useful?  What are the benefits of subscribing?  Are there any
disadvantages to subscribing? Of the many forms of bulletin boards
(NETNEWS, Delphi, CIS, local BBSs, LISTSERVE COCO [sorry, Eric, I almost
forgot you], etc.) which do you use the most?

Well, enough thought provoking questions for now...back to the discussion
of which is mightier, the putc or the printf:-):-)

Mike King

UUCP:..!ihnp4!cblpf!mdk1        |"What's the point in being grown-up |- The
Domain: mdk1@cblpf.ATT.COM      | if you can't be childish at times?"| Doctor

pete@wlbr.EATON.COM (Pete Lyall) (03/18/88)

In article <1097@cblpf.ATT.COM> mdk1@cblpf.ATT.COM (41450-Michael King) writes:
>I see that some of you subscribe to Delphi and CIS.  Do you consider them
>useful?  What are the benefits of subscribing?  Are there any
>disadvantages to subscribing?

Well, at the risk of sounding like own-horn-blowing, we're pretty
pleased with the OS9 community that has developed on Compuserve over
the past 4 years. I think that I can say without reservation that we
have the largest bunch of intercommunicating OS9'ers anywhere
(inclusive of Delphi, Genie, etc.) and the group is very active. The
profile of the OS9 Forum is widely distributed from raw newbies to
seasoned hard-core OS9'ers. There is no 'technical bigotry', and
everyone is treated equally.

We also have the largest OS9 Download library in existance. Included
in this library is the full OS9 Users Group Library (which has also
been distributed to Delphi subsequently).

Regarding technical support, most user's questions have a response (or
several!) within 24 hours. If a program is put on the market with a
bug or nuance, there is usually a fix within the week on the OS9
Forum. This is also true for 'added features', like alternate printer
drivers for Phantomgraph, etc. We have people that are experts in a
wide variety of fields, ranging from MIDI to device driver writing to
hardware to Multiview to the C language ... ad nauseum.

Kevin Darling and I co-pilot the OS9 Forum, with parental guidance
from Wayne Day, and input from an army of enthusiastic OS9'ers. Again,
at the risk of sounding like an overly-proud parent, the CompuServe
OS9 Forum is considered *the* place to go for OS9 answers and code
(BTW - those aren't my words).

Delphi is certainly picking up speed, but it will be quite some time
before their Forum is on the same scale. They also started
significantly later. Delphi is also currently less costly at 1200
baud than CIS, which some folks seem to feel is the deciding vote.
There are methods for getting logged on, getting your data,
getting logged off, and digesting the information and preparing

You asked if there was a downside? Yes - there is. You'll become
addicted to the daily interchange with other os9-aholics. As a
USENET'er, this may not be as dramatic with you as with other
ininitiated folks, but you'll have to learn to carefully control
your online time. Most folks' first months' bill is a shocker (on any
service).

In any case, online services are a valuable source of information,
assistance, and free code. They're a wonderful asset if you can muster
up the required self discipline to moderate your connect time!

--
Pete Lyall (OS9 Users Group VP)|  DELPHI: OS9UGVP  |  Eaton Corp.(818)-706-5693
Compuserve: 76703,4230 (OS9 Sysop) OS9 (home): (805)-985-0632 (24hr./1200 baud)