[comp.sys.m6809] coco-terminal talk?

haverl@haverl.applicon.UUCP (04/01/88)

I would like to use a terminal on my coco2 running os9-level 1.  I can
redirect output to the terminal using:

LIST <FILE> > /P -or-
LIST <FILE> > /T1

but when I type

TSMON T1

with or without concurrency, my terminal (actually an Amiga) just beeps.
I don't see the login prompt.  I am using the four-pin interface which came
with the computer.

                    --==  Carl Haverl  ==--

e-mail:       ...!harvard!ulowell!applicon!haverl
         -or- ...!mit-eddie!applicon!haverl
         -or- ...!sun!applicon!haverl
         -or- haverl@applicon.com

kim@mcrware.UUCP (Kim Kempf) (04/03/88)

In article <34900002@haverl>, haverl@haverl.applicon.UUCP writes:
> but when I type
>
> TSMON T1
>
> with or without concurrency, my terminal (actually an Amiga) just beeps.
> I don't see the login prompt.  I am using the four-pin interface which came
> with the computer.

Tsmon waits for a RETURN character before forking login.  It will beep on
all other characters.  If it beeps on a return, perhaps the hardware character
configuration is not correct.  Usually stripping parity on the transmitting
side will fix the problem.

jonh@tekgen.TEK.COM (Jon Howell) (04/03/88)

I have just successfully added a terminal to my Level II system; I am using
this now.  Here's some problems I encountered:

	o Make sure that you are using a modem cable, not a printer cable
	o Make sure that the CD line is held high. (This may only be necessary
	  with the RS232 pax)
	o Make sure that the cable you are using is not just a CoCo-to-modem
	  cable, but a null modem cable (Rx and Tx lines swapped.)

Good luck.
		Jon
--
  *       |     \    UUCP: ...!tektronix!tekgen!jonh  Jon Howell  (503)MAKSEMA
          |      \   USnail:  185 Norton, Sherwood, OR  97140
  | /\ /\ |\      \___________________________________________________________
\_| \/ || || . . . That's my username, and don't wear it out!

pete@wlbr.EATON.COM (Pete Lyall) (04/04/88)

In article <34900002@haverl> haverl@haverl.applicon.UUCP writes:
>I would like to use a terminal on my coco2 running os9-level 1.  I can
>redirect output to the terminal using:
>LIST <FILE> > /P -or-
>LIST <FILE> > /T1
>but when I type
>
>TSMON T1
>
>with or without concurrency, my terminal (actually an Amiga) just beeps.
>I don't see the login prompt.  I am using the four-pin interface which came
>with the computer.

Carl -

Without getting into an excessive amount of detail, the bit banger
port (the one you are using) is all but useless for serial
communications under os9. This is because it is not a true serial
port, but a software controlled UART emulation being done through a
few bits on a parallel port. Also, there is no built-in mechanism to
announce the arrival of incoming data... in effect, you must babysit
the port (look for the arrival of a start bit), or possibly mangle a
cable to allow an arriving character to toggle the carrier detect
interrupt. There are work arounds, bu the best bet is get yourself to
a Radio Shack and get an RS-232 pak (if you can still find one),
They're available anywhere from $10 to $30 these days.

--
Pete Lyall (OS9 Users Group VP)|  DELPHI: OS9UGVP  |  Eaton Corp.(818)-706-5693
Compuserve: 76703,4230 (OS9 Sysop) OS9 (home): (805)-985-0632 (24hr./1200 baud)

wynkoop@esquire.UUCP (Brett Wynkoop) (04/05/88)

Greeting-
     I used the bit banger port on my venerable 64k f board machine for a
couple of years under level one with no problems.  Just make sure the
cables are correct and start tsmon with the proper syntax (tsmon /t1 &),
and you should be ok.  The only time I had any problems was when one person
was working on the console, and another on /t1 and one or the other of them
was involved in disk access.  This caused all other I/O to be halted due to
the design of the disk controller.  If you have a controler with some cache
memory this will not be a problem.  Of course after the disk operation is
done, both the console and /t1 have no trouble with I/O.

-Brett

uucp............!rutgers!cmcl2!esquire!wynkoop
voice...........212-266-0741

OS9 seven steps ahead of OS/2