[comp.sys.m6809] CoCo smart terminal emulators

belmonte@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Matthew Belmonte) (11/13/86)

I'm looking for a smart terminal emulator for a CoCo.  OS9 or rsdos.
I'm getting tired of seeing "[Using open mode]" every time i vi something
remotely.  So, does such a thing exist?  I tried to find one a few years
ago but came up w/ nothing.  It doesn't matter WHAT it emulates;  as long as
there's a termcap entry for it or one can be made.
--
"When you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow."
 -- a member of the Nixon administration

jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (11/15/86)

     In "The Rainbow", Nov. '86, p. 195 there is an ad for Datapack II,
Plus v. 4.0, from Cer-Comp, 5566 Ricochet Ave., Las Vegas, NV, 89110,
(702) 452-0632.  This program claims emulation of VT-52 and VT-100
and many other features.  I have not used the program myself, so I
cannot vouch for it.  It requires 32K and disk and costs $59.00 US.
The only caution they advertise is that it doesn't work with JDOS.

     I won't go into the features because the ad is very lengthy.

Cheers! -- Jim O.
--
Jim Omura
2A King George's Drive, Toronto

mf2e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Douglas Fischer) (04/13/88)

Matthew-
    The only terminal for the CoCo (public domain) that claims to
have VT52, VT100, and ANSI emulation is Ultimaterm. I use this, but
find that it doesn't work correctly even 75% of the time. The proram
uses the top and bottom line of the screen for status, giving a 22
line display which usually messes up thing I use such as EMACS. The
author doesn't think it should matter, but it obviously does if you
watch what my screen does! The VT100 seems to have all the features,
excepting that one bug. Maybe a future version will be able to turn off
the status lines for a full 24 line display.

   --Mike

mf2e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Douglas Fischer) (04/13/88)

Oops! I just replied to a message from November 1986. That'll teach me
to check the date before replying!! Sorry...

Mike

EWTILENI@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Eric Tilenius) (04/14/88)

In article <wWMbKPy00UgL80elQN@andrew.cmu.edu>, mf2e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Douglas Fischer) writes:

>    The only terminal for the CoCo (public domain) that claims to
>have VT52, VT100, and ANSI emulation is Ultimaterm.

Not true at all!  Ultimaterm does support VT100, but, as Mike mentioned,
it's a buggy implementation.

The best VT100 emulator out there is probably V-Term, written by Tim Koonce
and sold through GIMMESOFT.  Another good one is DATAPAK III+, sold by
Cer-Comp.  (Greg Miller also wrote one, but it's not being actively sold.)

If you want a good terminal emulator, check either V-Term or Datapak out.
CoCo 3 only, but they have good features.

From the discussion on the COCO mailing list, sounds like V-Term is much
preferred.

BTW, you can get a copy of Ultimaterm over the net through the LISTSERV
server that serves the CoCo mailing list. Free downloads & Docs, too.

To find out how to use the server, and to get on the list, send mail
to:  LISTSERV@pucc.Princeton.EDU    (or LISTSERV@pucc.BITNET)
and include the following command lines (as you choose)...

SENDME COCO MEMO    --> Gives you information about the list
INDEX COCO          --> Lists current CoCo Software Available
INDEX OS9           --> Lists OS-9 software and digests
SENDME CURRENT INFO --> Get more information about the files
SUB COCO Your Name  --> Subscribe to the COCO mailing list.

- ERIC -

*----------------------===>  SPACE IS THE PLACE... <===-----------------------*
*        ewtileni@pucc.Princeton.EDU  //  ewtileni@pucc.BITNET                *
*      rutgers!pucc.bitnet!ewtileni  //  princeton!pucc.bitnet!ewtileni       *
* ColorVenture - Microcomputer Software - "Because Life isn't Black and White"*
*--------------------===> Another proud CoCo 3 owner <===---------------------*

donp@bucket.UUCP (Don Park) (04/17/88)

In article <wWMbKPy00UgL80elQN@andrew.cmu.edu> mf2e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Douglas Fischer) writes:
>Matthew-
>have VT52, VT100, and ANSI emulation is Ultimaterm. I use this, but
>find that it doesn't work correctly even 75% of the time. The proram
>uses the top and bottom line of the screen for status, giving a 22
>[chomp,chomp]The VT100 seems to have all the features,
>excepting that one bug. Maybe a future version will be able to turn off
>the status lines for a full 24 line display.

Ultimaterm is by far the best terminal program for the coco today.
It does, in fact, have a 25 column screen w/ unique ansi capibilities
such as flashing and the vt-100 works very well with vi. Its all
I ever use and its one of a kind with things like:

        o dialing directories
        o over-lay menus and full buffering while in menus
        o 512k Ram-Disk support
        o modem result and init strings
        o redialing (uses result codes - not just CD detect)
        o key repeat, key click, speed & tone user definable
        o VT-100, VT-52, ANSI, VidTex (for compuserve)
        o on-screen clock (software, or DISTO clock)
        o toggle monochrome & destructable BS (needed for vi use)
        o By far the most professional and user friendly
          terminal package I have ever seen!
You might not have the latest version, 4.0 . If not, you can contact
me and I will either give you the # for DIGITS (his BBS) or maybe
I can send it CUTS style (a uuencode type program made for LISTSERV users).

Ta ta!

--
/.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.\
| Don Park - Bark Technologies - Bryan Bybee : 246-0025 (voice) 256-2154 (bbs)|

nujohnso@ndsuvax.UUCP (chris earl johnson) (04/19/88)

Funny I can never get Ultimaterm to work with vi.  Almost ALWAYS messes
up, I think it has to do with the fact that Ultimaterm only has 22 lines
per screen...(two are taken for status lines).

--
+-------------------------------+
| BITNET : NU108642@NDSUVM1     | *BE FAST
| UUCP : uunet!ndsuvax!nujohnso |     *BE CLEAN
+-------------------------------+          *BE CHEAP

ingoldsby@calgary.UUCP (Terry Ingoldsby) (04/20/88)

I don't require the fancy features of terminal emulation.  I'd settle for
less.  Eg. can anyone tell me how to send a DEL, ie. Ascii 7F from the
CoCo 3 keyboard (OS9 Level 2)?  I use kermit as my dumb terminal, and it
is sufficient for my needs, but when I work with VMS I need to be able to
send DELete.  Is it possible without rewriting the keyboard driver?

My second complaint is also with the keyboard driver.  Has anyone figured
out how to fix the shift key rollover problem?  Eg.  to send an upper case
character you usually press SHIFT, then the character.  If you happen to
release the shift key a little before the character key, then a second
lower case char is also sent.  This is a real nuisance, and none of the
previous CoCo OS9 keyboard drivers did this.  Does anyone know of a fix?

                                         Terry Ingoldsby
                                       ...!ihnp4!alberta!calgary!ingoldsby

richardk@puff.cs.wisc.edu (Richard Kottke) (04/22/88)

In article <833@ndsuvax.UUCP> nujohnso@ndsuvax.UUCP (chris earl johnson) writes:

>Funny I can never get Ultimaterm to work with vi.  Almost ALWAYS messes
>up, I think it has to do with the fact that Ultimaterm only has 22 lines

It actually has 25 lines on the text display, in addition to the 2 status
lines.  The two main reasons it screws up in vi are that Ultimaterm's tabs are
set 10 spaces apart, instead of 8 as they should be, and a character in the
80th column causes an erroneous carrige return which winds up putting your
cursor on the wrong line.  This happens no matter what emulation mode you are
in.  I am tempted to disassemble it and fix these minor bugs; they are all
that keep Ultimaterm from being ideal to me.

-Rich
--
Richard Kottke                      |       ,----|__,-------------- sel
------------------------------------|out -O<  00 |___      ,----/___ b in

EWTILENI@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Eric Tilenius) (04/22/88)

>My second complaint is also with the keyboard driver.  Has anyone figured
>out how to fix the shift key rollover problem?  Eg.  to send an upper case
>character you usually press SHIFT, then the character.  If you happen to
>release the shift key a little before the character key, then a second
>lower case char is also sent.  This is a real nuisance, and none of the
>previous CoCo OS9 keyboard drivers did this.  Does anyone know of a fix?

This is a hardware problem, as each of the CoCo's keys in the keyboard does
NOT have it's own input/diode/whatever.  There was some discussion of this
on the COCO list (why aren't you on it?), and it's not an OS-9 related
problem - it occurs in RSDOS as well and is due to hardware.

Evidently, there's also a problem on some CoCo 3's with pressing THREE
keys at once.  In some cases, any more than two keys pressed simultaneously
won't register on some machines but will on others.

pete@wlbr.EATON.COM (Pete Lyall) (04/26/88)

In article <5009@pucc.Princeton.EDU> EWTILENI@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:
>>My second complaint is also with the keyboard driver.  Has anyone figured
>>out how to fix the shift key rollover problem?
>
>This is a hardware problem, as each of the CoCo's keys in the keyboard does
>NOT have it's own input/diode/whatever.  There was some discussion of this
>on the COCO list (why aren't you on it?), and it's not an OS-9 related
>problem - it occurs in RSDOS as well and is due to hardware.

Hmmmm. Now mind you I spend little or no time under RSDOS per se, but
my experience seems to conflict with yours. I have had no trouble
whatsoever with RSDOS keyboard handling (nothing worse than the
original COLOR BASIC 1.2 roms provided with their half-assed quick
key-down check). The new code also patches out a key-down check in the
disk roms when it effects the overlay, but again, this is noting
serious.

I looked rather closely at CC3IO and noted that there were two things
that could be done to improve the keyboard handling. It has been a
while, but I think one of them is testing to see if last key
combination was SHIFT/CTRL + current key, and also to see if all keys
have been up since that time. If not, ignore current key. They also
need to add code that clears the last-key-down variable when the
keyboard is scanned and no keys are pressed. This would save a lot of
headaches.

Also - the hardware is a SUPERSET of what was in the CC2... the only
difference I have seen (in the schematic) is that in addition to all
lines of the keyboard matrix being tied to PIA0 ports A and B, is that
there is a large OR gate reading all the inbound keystrobe lines to be
able to generate an interrupt on keypress.

Perhaps you had better research the problem a little more the next
time before offering a 'diagnosis'.

--
Pete Lyall (OS9 Users Group VP)|  DELPHI: OS9UGVP  |  Eaton Corp.(818)-706-5693
Compuserve: 76703,4230 (OS9 Sysop) OS9 (home): (805)-985-0632 (24hr./1200 baud)

donp@bucket.UUCP (Don Park) (05/03/88)

In article <1594@puff.cs.wisc.edu> richardk@puff.WISC.EDU (Richard Kottke) writes:

>It actually has 25 lines on the text display, in addition to the 2 status
>lines.  The two main reasons it screws up in vi are that Ultimaterm's tabs are
>set 10 spaces apart, instead of 8 as they should be, and a character in the
>80th column causes an erroneous carrige return which winds up putting your

That tab bug is true and Next I speak with Ken I will ask him to
change that in the next version. He is very good about takeing in
other's views of "BUGS". (He added the non-destructable BS toggle
in the last version just for me....)

I will post again when the next ver comes out..
--
| Don Park - Bark Technologies - Bryan Bybee : 246-0025 (voice) 256-2154 (bbs)|
|  512K Color Computer III - RGB - Os-9 Lvl. II - DTerm vr 3.2 - Hardware     |

donp@bucket.UUCP (Don Park) (05/03/88)

One final note... for now you can use "stty -tabs" to get
unix to use spaces instead of the tab char....
--