[comp.sys.m6809] Is anybody out there?

mdk1@cblpf.ATT.COM (shadow) (06/29/88)

Or have you all disappeared for the summer?  Mike Knudsen, anything
exciting happening? Wasn't it last summer about this time that I sent out a
similar message?  I wonder why that is.  I also wonder why we haven't had
any female posters (at least none that I can remember) on comp.sys.m6809.

A comp.sys.m6809 poster child --
Mike King

--
^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^
ihnp4!cblpf!mdk1   | "You can lead a yak to water, but you can't teach an old

jimomura@lsuc.uucp (Jim Omura) (06/30/88)

In article <1350@cblpf.ATT.COM> mdk1@cblpf.ATT.COM (shadow) writes:

>Or have you all disappeared for the summer?  Mike Knudsen, anything
>exciting happening? Wasn't it last summer about this time that I sent out a
>similar message?  I wonder why that is.  I also wonder why we haven't had
>any female posters (at least none that I can remember) on comp.sys.m6809.

     Well, yes, some of us are still around.  I've pretty much finished
my first major project working under OS-9 Windows.  In a couple of days
I'll be sending it off for negotiation for distribution.  I expect that
the first company I send it to will be the one to distribute it.  For
their sake (in case they reject it) I won't say who it is, but they know
me and have been waiting for this submission for quite a while.

     I intended to wait about 2 more days.  The design is now frozen
really, but I want to make sure that I know all bugs and complaints.
I may make one last change, but not likely.

     Notice the implication?  That I *know* there are bugs in it which
I'm *not* fixing?  It's true.  It's like this:  Where an anomaly has
arisen in the program where I think that Tandy/Microware may and indeed
*should* fix the OS I'm faced with what to do if the fixed OS would
break what I've done to overcome the problem.  This arose in a couple
of placed.  So, where I felt my code was "right", I decided in those
cases to leave it and note it in the documentation.  The problems are,
for the most part livable.  It's just disappointing.

     Here's an interesting problem:

     Nowhere in any documentation, could I find what the *Specified*
result should be of "Get"ting a buffer where the pixel addresses
don't line up on a byte address.  Similarly, the documentation does
not say what will happen if you "Put" a block to a pixel which isn't
byte aligned.

     Of course there were *many* out and out errors in documentation,
and you will find that the system calls don't always work.  All in
all the project took 2, maybe 3 times longer than it should have.
It could have been worse, but I could be a lot better.  Lets hope
for the better.

Cheers! -- Jim O.
--
Jim Omura, 2A King George's Drive, Toronto, (416) 652-3880
ihnp4!utzoo!lsuc!jimomura