[comp.sys.m6809] CoCo 1 upgrade pointers wanted

jeffg@tekecs.TEK.COM (Jeff C. Glover) (09/19/88)

I just bought a Color Computer 1 at a yard sale and would like pointers
to articles describing upgrades.  Specifically

    + 16k ram to 64k ram (can it go to 512k ala CoCo 3?)
    + disk drives (both hard disk and floppy)
    + NTSC video output (to drive a monitor)
    + audio amplifier (goes with above - tied to SND pin on cartridges)

Also, any UNIX-based development software would be appreciated
(assemblers, cross-compilers, small-C).
--
Jeff C. Glover, Tektronix, Inc.
PO Box 1000, MS 61-201, Wilsonville, OR 97070     Graphics Workstation Division

knudsen@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Knudsen) (09/22/88)

In article <10380@tekecs.TEK.COM>, jeffg@tekecs.TEK.COM (Jeff C. Glover) writes:
> I just bought a Color Computer 1 at a yard sale and would like pointers
> to articles describing upgrades.  Specifically

>     + 16k ram to 64k ram (can it go to 512k ala CoCo 3?)
Easy enough, and cheap, to do.  Details depend on what sort
of 16K RAM chips are used in yours (8 16Kx1, or 2 16Kx4).
Oh wait, you said Coco 1.  That wants 8 64Kx1, easy to find.
You may have to hotwire a couple of gates to address 64K,
but it will work great (I did my old greycase Coco this way).

Impossible to go to more than 64K except for ban-siwtching;
cannot run OS9 L2.

>     + disk drives (both hard disk and floppy)
Easy but not cheap.  Hard disks can be run under BASIC or OS9-L1
on a Coco I/II, but probably aren't worth it.

>     + NTSC video output (to drive a monitor)
>     + audio amplifier (goes with above - tied to SND pin on cartridges)
Pre-packaged little hardware boards to do these used to be readily
available, may still be.  Coco III does not need these add-ons.

I'm glad you got into Coco-ing nice and cheap, but if you have
real ambitions (like hard disks and OS9) you really should wait
till near CHristmas and see how cheap the Shack sells Coco IIIs
again -- I'd predict $150 for the 128K machine.

> Also, any UNIX-based development software would be appreciated
> (assemblers, cross-compilers, small-C).
Would be nice, but with OS9 you can compile C right on the Coco.
Much less painful on a 512K Coco III.

I know I've seen 6809 cross-assembler source on netnews, years ago.