[comp.sys.m6809] OS9 help

wynkoop@esquire.UUCP (Brett Wynkoop) (09/23/88)

greeting-
     I am having a few problems that I have not been able to figure out,
I hope someone longer in the tooth than I can offer me some advice.
     First the system description:

     512k COCO3 w/OS9-level2
     1-360k floopy drive (/d0)
     2-720k floopy drives (/d1 and /u1)
     1-st225 using BURKE & BURKE interface and software with everexx
controler
	This drive is named /dd and /H0 and has been online about 3 weeks
     shell+ V2.0
     cc3disk patched to work with Bob Santy's pcdos and rsdos
     level 1 C compiler with Karl's cc installed
     Karl's clib and defs (on /H0)
     level 1 asembler with defs on /H0
     OS9 profile patched per tandy for use with level2

Problem 1
     The level 1 assembler still wants to look at /d0/defs even though
I have use /h0/defs in the code instead of use /d0/defs.  It will not
even look at /d1/defs.

Problem 2
     The C compiler looks at /d1/defs, not /H0/defs.  It does look
at /H0/lib for linking, but the preprocessor dosn't seam to want to
go where ccdevice says to go.

Problem 3
     OS9 profile does not bring up a list of avaiable databases
when started, and I have three of them.  The directories are all
ther as well as all the files.  The names are just not displayed
on the startup page.  If I chose a valid name it will load and work
properly.
I think this is new since the hard disk, as I picked up profile about
3 weeks before the HARD DRIVE.

If anyone can help with these things I would be greatful.  They can be
lived with, but I do not want to!

	    Brett

.....cmcl2!esquire!wynkoop

OS9 seven steps ahead of OS2              OS9 when MSDOS is just not enough

koonce@brahms.berkeley.edu (tim koonce) (09/24/88)

In article <652@esquire.UUCP> wynkoop@esquire.UUCP (Brett Wynkoop) writes:
>greeting-
>     I am having a few problems that I have not been able to figure out,
>I hope someone longer in the tooth than I can offer me some advice.
[... system description ...]
>     1-st225 using BURKE & BURKE interface and software with everexx
>controler
>	This drive is named /dd and /H0 and has been online about 3 weeks
[ describes problems with ASM, C compiler, Profile not recognizing hard disk ]

>	    Brett
>
>.....cmcl2!esquire!wynkoop

A suggestion that many people seem unaware of is that re-naming your drives
can remove many of these problems.  A suggested naming for your drives,
that will get most programs running well, is:

 - hard drive:  dd, d0
 - floppy drives: f0, f1, f2, etc.

This way, programs that have /d0 or /dd descriptions hard-coded in will
automatically go to the hard disk.  If you want overkill, you can also
set up descriptors for the hard drive named 'd1', and 'h0'.  Then
any software referring to /d0, /d1, /dd, or /h0 will go to the hard
drive.

Using EZGen, which comes with the Burke & Burke controller (a bit complex
to puzzle out, but Chris includes some examples), this is actually fairly
easy to do.

Also, when you make up a new descriptor, you should always test it.

Have you tried 'dir /dd' just to make sure that the /dd is what you think
it is?

					- Tim Koonce

koonce@math.berkeley.edu
...!ucbvax!math!koonce

knudsen@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Knudsen) (09/27/88)

What I did was to patch ASM and C.PREP.  Use DUMP (and GREP
if you have one) to find the literal string "/d1" or "/d0"
in the binary, and change it to /h0 or /DD (I use DD).

Some power users advocate putting your DEFs in a Ramdisk,
so /DD would not be right for this.  I find that with a hard
disk there is little advantage to ramdisking the DEFs.
In fact the only thing that my C compiles put on ramdisk
is the assembly-code file.