[comp.sys.m6809] TOP project files

knudsen@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Knudsen) (10/17/88)

In article <1558@cbnews.ATT.COM>, mdk@cbnews.ATT.COM (Shadow) writes:
> If you have seen some of the files that were just posted to comp.os.os9
> from the TOP project in Germany, do you think that there are any commands
> that could be adapted for use on OS9/6809?  Some of the files that I saw
> were rename, ttyname, umask, hostname, mdir, info, crypt, etc.  I haven't
> looked at the code very closely, but do you think that it could be ported?

I haven't looked, but to go from OS/K to OS9 the things to look for are:

(1) If the source is in C, it's a lot less work than if assembly!

(2) Look for system calls of OSK that OS9 lacks.
Also for common calls, fix the argument passing conventions.

(3) If C source, watch out for machine-dependent things like
32-bit integers and sign extensions and >1 register variable
[none of these stop you from porting, but must be checked for
 when you're really doing it]

(4) Memory requirements -- a 68000 can address 16 Megs of RAM,
against 64K for 6809.  Some mighty BIG programs turn up under OSK.
I don't think any of the TOPS utilities listed above would be
very big though, even by 6809 standards.
--
Mike Knudsen  Bell Labs(AT&T)   att!ihlpl!knudsen
"Lawyers are like handguns and nuclear bombs.  Nobody likes them,

pete@wlbr.EATON.COM (Pete Lyall) (10/19/88)

In article <1558@cbnews.ATT.COM> mdk@cbnews.ATT.COM (Shadow) writes:
>Fellow enthusiasts --

If you have seen some of the files that were just posted to comp.os.os9
from the TOP project in Germany, do you think that there are any commands
that could be adapted for use on OS9/6809?  Some of the files that I saw
were rename, ttyname, umask, hostname, mdir, info, crypt, etc.  I haven't
looked at the code very closely, but do you think that it could be ported?

===========

Mike/all -

A good number of Unix-ish tools already exist for the 6809..
To name a few, a complete TERMCAP implementation (binaries are ready,
docs are being held up - anybody able to convert TeX format to
straight ASCII print images or Nroff?). A curses implementation is
somewhat operable (the last two largely thanks to Simmule Turner).
A MicroEMACS for the 6809 that uses the termcap package, a UUCP
clone, and some other stuff as well.

Some of the 68K stuff may not work... we don't have environments
(yet!), and the (cleanest) approach to take is not clear.

There is also a compress, a tar, some good kermit's (newer than what
I've seen floating around), and just more stuff than I can remember.

For starters - if we can get someone to convert the GNU docs that came
with the TERMCAP stuff to straight ASCII, we'll see about getting
TERMCAP on the street.

Pete

--
Pete Lyall (OS9 Users Group VP)|  DELPHI: OS9UGVP  |  Eaton Corp.(818)-706-5693
Compuserve: 76703,4230 (OS9 Sysop) OS9 (home): (805)-985-0632 (24hr./1200 baud)