[comp.sys.m6809] ATARI 1040ST, COCO3

houser@mcnc.org (Kevin D. Houser ) (11/02/88)

Does anyone know if it is possible to hack a cable that
will allow an ATARI 1040ST be used with a magnavox 8CM515
RGB-analog monitor? Also, how easy would it be to connect the
1040ST to a monochrome monitor ($80 type) and use the 640x400 screen
resolution?

Second, ever since I have been using my 40meg hard disk on the
coco3, I have problems with multivue locking up when I try
to take a directory. If I go back to booting off the floppy w/o
the hard disk driver, MV works just fine. I'm using the B&B hard
disk interface with /d0 and /dd as the hard disk, and BBHdisk.dr
driver.

Any suggestions?

Kevin Houser
houser@mcnc.org

koonce@brahms.berkeley.edu (tim koonce) (11/02/88)

Kevin Houser (houser@mcnc.org) writes:
>Does anyone know if it is possible to hack a cable that
>will allow an ATARI 1040ST be used with a magnavox 8CM515
>RGB-analog monitor? Also, how easy would it be to connect the
>1040ST to a monochrome monitor ($80 type) and use the 640x400 screen
>resolution?

The Atari ST uses a non-standard sync timing which makes it difficult
to attach normal RGBA monitors to it.  I've heard a rumour about some
company which sells a little box which shifts the sync enough to do
the trick, but know nothing about it.  Interestingly, most multisync
monitors apparently can compensate for the non-standard sync.  You
can always try to hook it up, but I have heard that the picture ends
up offset enough to be unusable.  (Note:  This is my vague recollection
of some rumours I've heard.  I could very well be wrong.)

>Second, ever since I have been using my 40meg hard disk on the
>coco3, I have problems with multivue locking up when I try
>to take a directory.

There are two major bugs in the default distribution of MV which really
need to be fixed before you try to use it with a hard disk.  The patches
were listed a few months back in Dale Puckett's column in the Rainbow.
The two bugs are:
   - MV will lock up if it finds a file with a three letter extension that
     doesn't have a corresponding AIF file
   - MV will lock up if it tries to read a directory with more than 256 files
     (it's not uncommon for hard disk CMDS dirs to get this large)

						- Tim Koonce