[comp.sys.m6809] VIP Library Under OS9

aweiss@pacsbb.UUCP (arnold weiss) (01/27/89)

         I  posted this about two weeks ago, but since I have had no re-
plies I'm assuming it got lost in a "black hole".  I just got the latest
version of the VIP LIBRARY and have found it greatly improved.  When I
spoke to S & D Enterprises I was told that one of the Burkes of Burke &
Burke had discussed moving the Library over to OS9, But S & D wasn't sure
there would be a market for it.  I told him that I thought that there
would be a good bit of interest in the program under OS9, and would post
this here to see what the "world" thought.  Any thoughts out there?

megabyte@chinet.chi.il.us (Dr. Megabyte) (01/28/89)

In article <528@pacsbb.UUCP> aweiss@pacsbb.UUCP (arnold  weiss) writes:
>Burke had discussed moving the [VIP] Library over to OS9,
>But S & D wasn't sure there would be a market for it.

I for one would buy the complete VIP library for OS9.  Much as I hate
to admit it, I feel the package, as an integrated system, beats
out anything else available for OS9. Besides, I'd buy any useful
programs from Chris Burke. He does good work.

Maybe Stylograph is a better word processor, maybe Dynacalc is a better
spreadsheet, maybe Profile is a better database, and certainly
OSterm is a better terminal package, but as an integrated
environment with a consistent user interface, nothing else can come close.
--
"Do a Little Dance, Make a Little Love, Get Down Tonight!" - K.C.
Mark E. Sunderlin | aka Dr. Megabyte | megabyte@chinet.UUCP | (304) 267-2911

koonce@brahms.berkeley.edu (tim koonce) (01/28/89)

I have mixed feelings about the idea of trying to port the VIP series to OS9.

On one hand, I consider them basically lousy programs to start with,
and would hope that we could come up with better programs.  (dEd is
much better than VIP Disk-Zap; XCom9 is better than VIP Terminal by a
long shot) The only parts of it which we don't (unquestionably)
already have better versions of are word processor and possibly
spreadsheet.  Personally, though, I find uemacs/mroff much better than
VIP Writer.

On the other hand, there are a lot of RSDOS people that would be persauded to
seriously consider OS9 if such a package were avalaible.  And, with Chris'
experience in writing RSB, it shouldn't be too big a project

All in all, I wouldn't buy it, but I suspect a lot of people would, and that's
a good thing.  I think it would help persaude a lot of CoCo users to make the
jump.  Go for it!

				- Tim Koonce

grunwald@Katmandu.ira.uka.de (Grunwald Betr. Tichy) (02/07/89)

I would like to have VIP too. The Business market for OS9 products is just
at the very beginning and I think it will grow, because there is no other
Operating System, which is sold at a reasonable price and has the power of OS9.
Especially MSDOS and(!) OS/2 cannot handle big disks (CDROM's), what will
be a must in the future. On the other hand is UNIX no price competitor, because
you need a much bigger system to give the user the same power and in case of
a power failure the user of a UNIX-PC has to be an expert to get his data
back, if he or she has not very much luck.
Therefore write business software for OS9 and OS9/68k. The market will come.