[comp.sys.m6809] COCO memory expansion

mattp@oakhill.UUCP (Matt Pressly) (03/30/89)

I have a 16K color computer and have replaced the 16K RAM chips with 64K
chips.  The system still behaves exactly the same as it did before the
replacement.

Is there a simple hardware modification or software configuration that I can
perform to allow the system to use the entire 64K or at least 32K RAM?  I
tried changing the control register on the chip that handles the address
decode and refresh (don't remember the partno. offhand), but all combinations
that I used caused the computer to lock up  (even when I put things back to
normal before exiting the program).

There must be a simple solution, since it's possible to buy memory upgrades
from Radio Shack, although from what the people there have told me, it will
only work if you have the extended basic ROMs, which I don't have and don't
care to purchase, since I really only use the system for assembly language
programming.

I would greatly appreciate any help you can give me.
--
address: mattp@oakhill

tindle@ms.uky.edu (Ken Tindle) (03/30/89)

In article <1941@oakhill.UUCP> mattp@oakhill.UUCP () writes:

>I have a 16K color computer and have replaced the 16K RAM chips with 64K
>chips.  The system still behaves exactly the same as it did before the
>replacement.

You may already know about this, but did you install the 16/64K select
jumper when you changed the RAM chips?

You should need extended BASIC ROM only if you use a disk drive(s).

INTERNET:tindle@ms.uky.edu | "I heard you." -Kirk
BITNET:tindle@ukma.bitnet  | "He simply could not believe his ears."
Ken Tindle - Lexington, KY | -Spock, The Trouble With Tribbles