[comp.sys.m6809] ar format

hak@cooper.cooper.EDU (Jeff Hakner ) (05/05/89)

	A while back, the Kreider C library was posted.
I have it, but it is in a format which I cannot use.
The format is called 'ar' format, but it does not seem
to  work with the ar(1) utility on my big Unix machines.
Could someone please post information on unpacking these
ar files?

			Jeff Hakner
			Cooper Union Computer Center

hak@meagan.cooper.edu
hak%meagan.cooper.edu

pete@wlbr.EATON.COM (Pete Lyall) (05/06/89)

The 'ar' utility for os9 was also written by Carl Kreider years ago,
and is the de facto standard for compression and bundling groups of
files. It uses a proprietary (then) format, and is basically
a Lempel-Ziv scheme. I believe AR is available on all the major
services (CIS, Delphi, Genie) as well as the coco mailing list at
Princeton here on the net. There are binaries for both os9/6809 and
os9/68000 machines. If you have trouble getting a copy, I (or someone
else here) could probably mail you a uuencoded binary.

Pete

--
Pete Lyall                                           Contel Corp.(818) 706-5693
Compuserve: 76703,4230 (OS9 Sysop)  OS9_Net: (805)-985-0632 (24hr 300/1200/2400)

blarson@skat.usc.edu (Bob Larson) (05/06/89)

In article <30122@wlbr.EATON.COM> pete@wlbr.eaton.com.UUCP (Pete Lyall) writes:
>The 'ar' utility for os9 was also written by Carl Kreider years ago,
> I (or someone
>else here) could probably mail you a uuencoded binary.

Why distribute the binary when source is available?  SHARed source would
be a much better way to distribute it.  (SHAR files can be taken apart
by any editor, and with source the parinoia about viruses is somewhat
releived.)

--
Bob Larson	Arpa:	blarson@skat.usc.edu
Uucp: {uunet,cit-vax}!usc!skat!blarson

hpn@attcc.UUCP (05/11/89)

It's not in the Unix .ar format.  The Kreider Library is for the Coco OS-9 System.  You need the AR utility under os-9 to break the file.

Huy Nguyen