[comp.sys.m6809] Funny key presses

ingoldsb@ctycal.COM (Terry Ingoldsby) (08/17/89)

Has anyone fixed the keyboard driver for COCO3 OS9 Level II?  The
current one has problems with the key rollover, particularly
noticable when using the shift key.  (Try pressing SHIFT,
a key, and release SHIFT before releasing the key).

While on the same subject, it seems that the CoCo3 keyboard driver
also makes no provision for some of the ascii characters (like
DELETE).  Or have I just not found the magic combinations of
keypresses?

--
  Terry Ingoldsby                       ctycal!ingoldsb@calgary.UUCP
  Land Information Systems                           or

ingoldsb@ctycal.COM (Terry Ingoldsby) (08/18/89)

In article <430@ctycal.UUCP>, ingoldsb@ctycal.COM (Terry Ingoldsby) writes:
> Has anyone fixed the keyboard driver for COCO3 OS9 Level II?  The

My apologies, that was supposed to go to comp.os.os9.

I know that there are some higher speed versions of the 6809 available.
Does anyone know if these are just fast clock speed versions of the
ordinary MC6809, or do they reduce the number of cycles for the longer
instructions.  The former is not desirable in many cases since memory
has to be faster to keep up with the chip.  Since many implementations
do the memory access in half a cycle, this can put quite a load on
memory components (ie. they have to be fast).

In some of the longer 6809 instructions memory lies idle.  A fast clocked
6809 will require fast memory that does nothing part of the time.  Not
an efficient use of resources!  On the other hand, making instructions
that spend a lot of their time doing things internally (not using the
external buses) faster would allow direct replacement of existing 6809s.
I think this was done with 8088s.
--

peterdur@microsoft.UUCP (Peter Durham) (08/18/89)

In article <430@ctycal.UUCP> ingoldsb@ctycal.COM (Terry Ingoldsby) writes:
>While on the same subject, it seems that the CoCo3 keyboard driver
>also makes no provision for some of the ascii characters (like
>DELETE).  Or have I just not found the magic combinations of
>keypresses?
>
>  Terry Ingoldsby                       ctycal!ingoldsb@calgary.UUCP

Terry,

There is a table of keypress codes as one of the appendices to the OS-9
Commands (I think) section of the Level II manual.
The magic keypress for DELETE is [Ctrl][;].  This means the CoCo3 can
generate all ASCII keypresses from space (32) to delete (127), plus
Ctrl-A (1) through Ctrl-Z (26) and escape (27).  As far as I know, the
supplied driver does not support 28,29,30,31.  It _can_ be done, though;
you would need to modify the key code lookup table (probably in CC3IO?)
Look for triplets of bytes that specify what keys generate (i.e.
'1' '!' '|' for [1], or ',' '<' '{' for [,]; etc.  This is what my
'kmode' utility did for level 1; it patched CCIO's lookup table.
Probably the keys you would want to modify are the arrow keys, or a couple
of the number keys without a [Ctrl] value (I think [2] is one, I don't
remember [Ctrl][2] being anything).  Or you could modify [F1] and [F2];
they are set to be [Alt][1] through [Alt][6] (B1..B6) anyway.

Peter Durham
microsoft!peterdur@uunet.uu.net     CoCo3, OS-9 LevII, Multivue, 5MegHD (home)
uunet!microsoft!peterdur            Compaq 386/20e, MSDos3.31, 110MegHD (work)

dnelson@ibiza.cs.miami.edu (Dru Nelson) (08/19/89)

ingoldsb@ctycal.COM (Terry Ingoldsby) writes:

>In article <430@ctycal.UUCP>, ingoldsb@ctycal.COM (Terry Ingoldsby) writes:

>I know that there are some higher speed versions of the 6809 available.
>Does anyone know if these are just fast clock speed versions of the
>ordinary MC6809, or do they reduce the number of cycles for the longer
>instructions.  The former is not desirable in many cases since memory
  [Heavy duty line eating]

  The versions that are put out are designed to do work at faster clock
  speeds.  There aren't any V20's of the 6809 variety from what I have
  read.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% Internet:  dnelson@ibiza.cs.miami.edu  %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
% Dru Nelson  %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
% Miami, FL   % os9, C, Progressive music (burrow owls to dial-a-cliche), chAos
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% and frying my mind & spirit? on certain questions about life  %

japplega@csm9a.UUCP (Joe Applegate) (08/27/89)

In article <683@umigw.MIAMI.EDU>, dnelson@ibiza.cs.miami.edu (Dru Nelson) writes:
> ingoldsb@ctycal.COM (Terry Ingoldsby) writes:
>
> >In article <430@ctycal.UUCP>, ingoldsb@ctycal.COM (Terry Ingoldsby) writes:
>
> >I know that there are some higher speed versions of the 6809 available.
> >Does anyone know if these are just fast clock speed versions of the
> >ordinary MC6809, or do they reduce the number of cycles for the longer
> >instructions.  The former is not desirable in many cases since memory
>   [Heavy duty line eating]
>
>   The versions that are put out are designed to do work at faster clock
>   speeds.  There aren't any V20's of the 6809 variety from what I have
>   read.

Thank God for that.... what the 6809 world doesn't need is a chip with an
incomplete instruction set that barfs when a programmer uses an undocumented
(but quite usable) opcode!

Two weeks after putting a V20 in my Tandy... I put the 8088 back in!
Besides... since buying a Coco 3 I was surprised to find the 2 MHz 6809
executed comparable routines faster than the 5 MHz 8088!...  Oh well...
I plan on getting a 386 in a few months anyway....

			   - Joe Applegate -

     All views and opinions are my own and do not represent the views or
     opinions of the Colorado School of Mines, whatever they might be.