[comp.sys.m6809] PD software, etc.

testuser@athena.mit.edu (A Test User) (10/21/89)

I have a COCOIII w/ 2 5-1/4" drives and OS9LII.
My problem is that I'm quite used to Unix, and want OS9 to
behave more like the environment I'm used to.

As soon as possible (money, ha! Vee don't need no stinking money... ;)
I'm going to get a hard-drive and start building up the neccessary
software, perhaps even culminating in Unix for the COCOIII (would that
make the COCO the lowest price UNIX-box?)
Before I start, however, I would like to know what exists in the Public
domain?

MAJOR INTRESTS:
1. C-compiler!
2. Std-unix-like utilites (a real shell wouldn't hurt)
3. Windowing (no, I don't expect X).

Next, I know the COCOIII can do a-lot, however (even though I've hacked
around in assembly on the machine and can quote it's innards in hex...)
I'm not quite certain of the restraints that are placed on me by OS9LII.

Particular Questions:
1. Any chance that I could Kludge out a vmOS9 in THIS life?
2. How readily can I play with the MMU from OS9?
3. What kind of PD libraries exist out there?
4. How real is the IPC under OS9?
5. Is there anyone at any of the relevant companies that is
   a reliable source of info on such things? (on the net?)

Thanks for any/all help......

			-AJS(Harmil)

----
sig-and-sig what is sig?

wynkoop@esquire.UUCP (Brett Wynkoop) (10/23/89)

>As soon as possible (money, ha! Vee don't need no stinking money... ;)
>I'm going to get a hard-drive and start building up the neccessary
>software, perhaps even culminating in Unix for the COCOIII (would that
>make the COCO the lowest price UNIX-box?)
>Before I start, however, I would like to know what exists in the Public
>domain?
>
>MAJOR INTRESTS:
>1. C-compiler!
>2. Std-unix-like utilites (a real shell wouldn't hurt)
>3. Windowing (no, I don't expect X).

Get C compiler ar the development pack that the shack sells.  Then goto CI$
and download the new Clib and the new CC executive.  OS9 LII on the COCO
already has windows built in.  RTFM ;)

>3. What kind of PD libraries exist out there?
Go to the OS9 forum on CI$.  Also Join the usersgroup.  There address was
just posted here today.  There is a very good shell with wildcarding and
cd/cx instead of chd/chd on CI$ it is called shell+.  It has many features
that allow advanced shell scripts to be written and kept in memory or your
execution dir.

-Brett

jonh@tekgen.BV.TEK.COM (Jon Howell) (10/24/89)

>>As soon as possible (money, ha! Vee don't need no stinking money... ;)
>>MAJOR INTRESTS:
>>1. C-compiler!
>
>Get C compiler ar the development pack that the shack sells.  Then goto CI$
>and download the new Clib and the new CC executive.  OS9 LII on the COCO
Watch it!  The development pak does NOT include a C compiler!  I fell for that
one too. :-)  It has make and upgraded linker (r.link) and assembler (rma),
but for $100 ADDITIONAL -- you decide. :-)
	Not to mention, the regular C compiler package (the only way to get
C) is now $100 - I tried but didn't succeed in finding the old $30 package
around where I live.

		--Jon
--
Jon Howell  jonh@tekgen.bv.tek.com  (503) MAK-SEMA  | Science fiction, drugs,
 _     _               _       You can't have       | and reality are just

storkus@arrakis.nevada.edu (Mike Storke N7MSD) (10/24/89)

  Also check into the CoCo Listserv at Princeton.  The address is
listserv@pucc.princeton.edu (Inet).  Other addresses may be found there.
Listserv is a program.  To get a list of commands mail it a message and (on
one line) the word help.  To subscribe to a mailing list, mail it this:
subscribe <your real name>  It gets address info from your mail header.
  Again, note that all commands must be on a single line.  I am THOROUGHLY
SATISFIED with it, and it supports both OS-9 and RS-DOS.  Great C-library
on there for the Microware C-compiler.  73's,
Mike P. Storke, N7MSD @ University Nevada/Las Vegas-only a student, sorry :-)
Inet: storkus@arrakis.nevada.edu  Packet: KF7TI @ LAS:K7WS-1 or ANGEL:K7WS-2
Snailmail: Box 462 Las Vegas, NV 89119 Sorry, what I say comes from my fingers.
"Pascal: The Handcuff of the Programmer"-ME!  I WANT MY C!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mithelen@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Paul Jerkatis) (10/24/89)

I have many unix clone utilities, which are available on Delphi and many
other systems. Some of the utilities i have are:
   tar, shar, compress, wc, ls, spew ...

I am currently working on comverting the rz/sz zmodem, xmodem, ymodem
program to work under OS9. I also have a few other unix --> os9 projects
that i have planed for the future. When I get the time.
---
These opinions were given to me by a hyper-intelligent pan-demensional
being... So they CAN'T be WRONG!

Paul Jerkatis

UUCP    : mithelen@vpnet.UUCP                BITNET: MITHELEN%BSU@MSUS1.BITNET
Internet: vpnet!mithelen@ddsw1.MCS.COM       Delphi: MITHELEN
.. or ..  vpnet!mithelen@obdient.chi.il.us

hlw@attcc.UUCP (10/24/89)

Saying that each command must be on a single line is a bit confusing.  Actually, each command must be on a SEPARATE line.

Howard Wilson II

jimomura@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Omura) (10/26/89)

In article <1832@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US> mithelen@jolnet.UUCP (Paul Jerkatis) writes:
>I have many unix clone utilities, which are available on Delphi and many
>other systems. Some of the utilities i have are:

     We also have a very nice and I believe somewhat unique set
of files on BIX.  In fact, I have a feeling it must be fairly
unique because some of the things you guys seem to be working on
are things we might have already.

>   tar, shar, compress, wc, ls, spew ...

     What's 'spew'?  I've never heard of that one before.
I should say that I'm still hoping to finish a "free standing"
port of
tar which won't require libraries beyond those from Tandy.
I haven't done it yet though.

>I am currently working on comverting the rz/sz zmodem, xmodem, ymodem
>program to work under OS9. I also have a few other unix --> os9 projects

     If you mean for OS-9 68K, we already have rz/sz/zmodem.
If you mean for 6809, I'll be very happy to see this too.
Xmodem we've had for some time now though, in many languages.

--
Jim Omura, 2A King George's Drive, Toronto, (416) 652-3880
lsuc!jimomura

mithelen@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Paul Jerkatis) (10/27/89)

Spew is a program which creates random, syntaxically/gramaically correct
sentences (ya, i know, I am lousy at spelling and grammer!) from a data file.
Really neet... You can generate all types of data files, the one that i have
contains the stuff needed to make "National Enquierer" type headlines, kind
of a take of of the fortune program. I have head that to original author of
spew had a data file that will allow spew to generate random C source code,
all of it being syntaxtiaclly correct... A place where this spew program can
come in really handy in a practical mannor, is if you needed to create a data
file for say.. and adventure game you were writing that needed a bunch of
sentences. Just create the spew data file which contains rules and sentence
parts/nouns/verbs. tell it to create 10000 sentences and redirect the output
to a file. And, before you know it, you have just created you database of
random sayings for you adventure.... Not bad... Perhaps I will post the source
here, It is written in C.

Oh, BTW the SZ/RZ zmodem program I am working on IS for the CoCo version of
OS9...