[comp.sys.m6809] > 2MHz 6809 ...

paulba@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Paul T. Barton) (03/13/90)

To: state@cs.unc.edu
Subject: 6309, 6309E mpu's ...
--------

Tried to send to state@cs.unc.edu, but it came back :-)

	Hitachi 8/16 Multi-Chip Microcomputer Data Book.
	( info on back of data book )
	Semiconductor and IC Sales and Service Division
	1800 Bering Drive, San Jose, CA 95112
	1-408-292-6404

	The book that I have is #U70. This manual is not useable
	for ONLY 6309 data sheets, as they were new when this book
	came out, --ADVANCE INFORMATION-- on the pages.

	The local rep for us out here is:
	Crown Electronic Sales
	17020 S.W. Upper Boones Ferry Road.
	Portland, OR. 97223
	1-(503)-620-8320

	Hitachi has both HD63C09E and HD63C09 mpu's.
	The letter codes are A=2.0MHz, B=2.5MHz, C=3.0MHz.
	The only difference between 6809 and 6309 being that 6309's
	trap out illegal codes. I have tried plugging one into my COCO.
	Wouldn't run.  Apparently the DOS doesn't use all legal codes,
	must be some illegal codes in there. :-)

	I have run both at higher than the rated specs of 8MHz xtals.
	Took one up to 10 to 12 MHz, not sure which gave out first,
	ROM or serial port, but the mpu was still running.

	I don't know of any others above 3MHz rated speeds.  I have heard
	of bit-slice emulating 6800 codes though !

	Cheers.

Paul Taylor Barton
MAIL:   Tektronix, Inc. PO Box 500, MS 50-370
	Beaverton, OR. 97077   (503)-627-6134
UUCP:   uunet!tektronix!tekgvs!paulba
ARPA:   paulba%tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM@RELAY.CS.NET
CSNet:  paulba@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM

darrenr@munnari.oz.au (Darren James REED) (03/14/90)

   You mentioned that you plugged a 6309 chip into your coco but dos failed to work.  Did the coco work without DOS ?

   It would be great to be able to run os9 on the coco3 at a decent speed..

Darren

jhuang@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Jian Huang) (03/15/90)

In article <7091@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> paulba@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Paul T. Barton) writes:
>To: state@cs.unc.edu
>	The letter codes are A=2.0MHz, B=2.5MHz, C=3.0MHz.
>	The only difference between 6809 and 6309 being that 6309's
>	trap out illegal codes. I have tried plugging one into my COCO.
>	Wouldn't run.  Apparently the DOS doesn't use all legal codes,

They are CMOS chips.

--
JIAN HUANG                         System Software Engineer
jhuang@sci.ccny.cuny.edu           Klinger Scientific