[comp.sys.m6809] the OSKer

StG@hummer.iupui.edu (Scott Griepentrog) (07/18/90)

 *-----------------------------------------------------------------------*

     THE OFFICIAL STANDARD SUBSTANDARD FIRST ISSUE REQUEST FORM FOR

                            " the OSKer "

          The new magazine for OS9/6809 and OS9/68000 Users

 The first issue (July, already in print), contains:

 o  News about the two new machines (MM1/TCxx) and their creators
 o  Info on using CoCo3 Windows, including assembly source
 o  A contest for would-be hackers and some handy C source
 o  A lengthy conversation with Kevin Darling, creator of the new windows
 o  Differences between OS9 and OSK
 o  Help on using uMacs

 Future issues slated to contain:

 o  Basic programming on OSK and OS9
 o  Assembly language in OSK
 o  Graphics on the MM1/TC70
 o  Software Reviews
 o  Program submissions
 o  Writing a Chess program in "C"

 To get your own copy of the first issue FREE, or if you are convinced this
 is the magazine for you and want to subscribe, fill out the form below:
 (This offer good while supplies last - get your copy before we run out!)

 NAME ___________________________________      [ ] Send 1st Issue Free

 ADDR ___________________________________      [ ] Subscribe for 1 year

      ___________________________________          Include $12 in US
                                                   $15 in Canada,
      ___________________________________          Or $20 Elsewhere

 MAIL TO:  the OSK'er,  P.O. Box 24285, Speedway, IN 46224

 Anyone who has already replied to this offer need not do so again...

 *---------------------------------------------------------------------*

StG@hummer.iupui.edu (Scott Griepentrog) (07/20/90)

>From: daver!cheers!greg@decwrl.dec.com (Greg Onufer)
>
>Commercial offers are in *very* bad taste on Usenet.  Please post an
>apology.
>
>Cheers,
>Greg Onufer

I hereby apolgize for offering to the OS9 community what it has so badly
wanted (their own magazine) for so long, and even with the first copy
free to boot!

And thanks to those of you who have replied via mail with your
addresses, I will be getting your copy out in the mail right away.

StG

p.s. mailing address to me is o.k. - mail is safer, but slower...

dev@ei.ecn.purdue.edu (Larry Weeks) (07/20/90)

In article <1990Jul19.191038.12929@hummer.iupui.edu> StG@hummer.iupui.edu (Scott Griepentrog) writes:
>>From: daver!cheers!greg@decwrl.dec.com (Greg Onufer)
>>
>>Commercial offers are in *very* bad taste on Usenet.  Please post an
>>apology.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Greg Onufer
>
>I hereby apolgize for offering to the OS9 community what it has so badly
>wanted (their own magazine) for so long, and even with the first copy
>free to boot!
>
>And thanks to those of you who have replied via mail with your
>addresses, I will be getting your copy out in the mail right away.
>
>StG
>
>p.s. mailing address to me is o.k. - mail is safer, but slower...

Bravo Scott!

     He's sacrificed much of his time and money to support OS9. More
power to him. The Usenet is for the free dissemination of information.
And while the "commercial" offers of misc.forsale purporting to get
you easy money are indeed in very poor taste, his offer was far from
that. Geesh, no gratitude. No wonder there is so little motivation to
develop for OS9. Let's hope the MM1, Paul, Kevin, and other people like
Scott change that.

Larry
--
Larry Weeks         |"Take time to deliberate, but when the time for
Purdue University   | action has arrived, stop thinking and go in."

us277492@mmm.serc.3m.com (Arthur T. Manning) (07/21/90)

No apology needed for me..  Where else would I find this information if
I were not on their surface mailing list?

--
Arthur T. Manning   atmanning@mmm.uucp         /
  3M Center 518-1                        \____/_________

os9paul@gkcl.ists.ca (Paul Good) (07/23/90)

In article <1990Jul20.031520.24021@ecn.purdue.edu> dev@ei.ecn.purdue.edu (Larry Weeks) writes:

>He's sacrificed much of his time and money to support OS9.

Or perhaps he has 'invested' his time and money in the hopes of turning a
profit.

>More power to him.

For putting out a magazine for the OSK/OS9 community: YES.  For advertising
on Usenet: NO!

>The Usenet is for the free dissemination of information.

Yes, it is.  BUT it is not to be used for free advertising of your products.
Have you read your users' info material lately?  Product announcements
are allowed; commercial advertising is not.  If Scott had made one
announcement of his new magazine, not many would have complained.  He
has however issued a number (it's coming, it's here, still some free
issues available).

>And while the "commercial" offers of misc.forsale purporting to get
>you easy money are indeed in very poor taste, his offer was far from
>that.

I'm not sure what your point is here.  Is it that some people break the
rules, so Scott should be allowed to as well?

>Geesh, no gratitude. No wonder there is so little motivation to
>develop for OS9. Let's hope the MM1, Paul, Kevin, and other people like
>Scott change that.

It appears you are confused as to what the actual issue is.  I'm sure
there are many people that appreciate efforts to expand the OSK universe.
However, that does not require them to grant carte blanche to step on
the Usenet guidelines.

Paul Good   INTERNET: os9paul@gkcl.ists.ca   UUCP: ists!gkcl.ists.ca!os9paul