[comp.sys.m6809] dead coco

gmark@cbnewse.att.com (gilbert.m.stewart) (11/06/90)

My coco seems to have died.  At powerup, ampersands and such appear on
the screen, whose black border and green background look normal.  I
guess it's the ROM.  Anybody know where the cheapest place to get
a coco I ROM nowadays?  Since the background looks okay, can I safely
say it's the extended BASIC ROM rather than the "stock" original ROM?

- G. Mark Stewart
ihlpq!gms
708-979-0914
1200 E. Warrenville Rd.
Naperville, Il.  60566

jal@acc (John Lauro) (11/06/90)

In article <1990Nov5.215152.28456@cbnewse.att.com> gmark@cbnewse.att.com (gilbert.m.stewart) writes:
>My coco seems to have died.  At powerup, ampersands and such appear on
>the screen, whose black border and green background look normal.  I
>guess it's the ROM.  Anybody know where the cheapest place to get
>a coco I ROM nowadays?  Since the background looks okay, can I safely
>say it's the extended BASIC ROM rather than the "stock" original ROM?

I never seen a ROM in a CoCo go bad.  To me, it sounds more like the SAM
chip or CPU.  It could also be a memory chip, but that would tends to
cause mostly everything to be the same (like an &), but have a some
characters different.

   - John_Lauro@ub.cc.umich.edu

SJS132@psuvm.psu.edu (11/08/90)

Maybe he aught to scrap the CoCo I and just get a CoCo III.. Worth it at
only 99$ (I saw them on saw the other day...)

       /--------------------------------------------------------------\
      /  Wish-Bringer....New for the 90's: Comming to a CPU near you!  \
     / _________________________________________________________________\
    /Steven Shimatzki /   * *      * *         |+| SJS132@PSUVM.PSU.EDU  \
   / RD#1 Box 20-A   /   * W *ish-* B *ringer__|_|________________________\
  /Dunbar, Pa 15431 /     * *      * *  |  Disclaimer: "ME RESPONSIBLE?!?!"\

ingoldsb@ctycal.UUCP (Terry Ingoldsby) (11/09/90)

In article <1990Nov5.215152.28456@cbnewse.att.com>, gmark@cbnewse.att.com (gilbert.m.stewart) writes:
> My coco seems to have died.  At powerup, ampersands and such appear on
> the screen, whose black border and green background look normal.  I
> guess it's the ROM.  Anybody know where the cheapest place to get
> a coco I ROM nowadays?  Since the background looks okay, can I safely
> say it's the extended BASIC ROM rather than the "stock" original ROM?

First of all, which CoCo are you referring to?  I am guessing that you
mean Coco I or CoCo II.  In any case, it is unlikely that the ROM would
go (unless you have been tinkering around inside and managed to short
something).  Much more likely is the CPU or (if it is a CoCo I/II) the
SAM chip.  Your VDG is quite capable of producing video output without
CPU, ROM, RAM or SAM in the system.  It will come up in some default
mode, and as long as some power and timing conditions are met will
display the data it sees on the data bus while the address lines are
clocked through certain values.  My guess is (I don't have schematic
or specs handy) is that some value is locked on the data bus (perhaps
NULL?  I think that gives inverted @ ??) and that your VDG is just
clocking them out to the screen.

What usually kills CoCos is unplugging a ROM cartridge with the
power on.  That can toast your CPU or SAM chip.  Hope this helps.

--
  Terry Ingoldsby                ctycal!ingoldsb%cpsc.ucalgary.ca
  Land Information Services                 or