[comp.sys.m6809] RGB explanation

jejones@mcrware.UUCP (James Jones) (02/08/91)

In article <1991Feb6.160410.21526@cbnewse.att.com> gmark@cbnewse.att.com (gilbert.m.stewart) writes:
>As a matter fact, I wonder about that, too.  The high-res box came with
>the original COCOMAX.  Now, they indicate the need for the Tandy Hi-Res
>pack (which I ordered from Colorware for 10 bucks).  Is there a difference?

Yes.  The Tandy high-resolution adapter is a small, cheap circuit that,
like the bit-banger port, is cheap at the expense of eating CPU time
heavily.  I believe that the CoCo Max high-res box was a real A/D
converter.

>So, does the III run at the high speed by default?  What's the poke
>address?  I tried the old location last night and it didn't seem to
>do anything.  Sure like the new 40/80 screen, tho'.

Under OS-9 Level Two, the CoCo 3 runs at 1.78 MHz by default.  I don't
know the poke address--but evidently the old CoCo 2 "one and a half"
speedup poke is ignored.

>> 1 and 2--we're talking a 16-entry color lookup table with colors chosen
>> from RGB222 (that's right, RGB222)).
>
>What's that?  Electrical spec., complete interface spec., IEEE nomenclature?

That's nomenclature for color resolution.  On the CoCo 3, one can specify a
color with two bits for each of the red, green, and blue components
(corresponding, naturally enough, to four possible amounts of each component
in the resulting color).  Hence RGB222.

	James Jones

(Since I am an organization of eukaryotes, the above opinions are shared by
one organization--but it's the only one I know of.)