[comp.sys.m6809] A c compiler for the 6809

harrisg@motcid.UUCP (Gary L. Harris) (02/06/91)

Does a c compiler exist for the 6809?

--

jejones@mcrware.UUCP (James Jones) (02/06/91)

In article <4546@ash53.UUCP> harrisg@motcid.UUCP (Gary L. Harris) writes:
>Does a c compiler exist for the 6809?

Yes--I use one all the time on my CoCo 3.  Tandy sells it, probably now
only through Express Order.

I believe the C Users Group has a 6809 Small C, but that of course has the
various limitations of Small C--I don't know whether it supports floating
point, for example.

	James Jones

harrisg@motcid.UUCP (Gary L. Harris) (02/08/91)

jejones@mcrware.UUCP (James Jones) writes:

>Yes--I use one all the time on my CoCo 3.  Tandy sells it, probably now
>only through Express Order.

Ideally I would like to find a cross compiler, possibly source, to
run in a unix environment.  I think I may be asking too much however.

-Gary
| Gary Harris                           | Motorola Inc.                 |
| motcid!harrisg@uunet.uu.net           | Phone:                        |
| uunet!motcid!harrisg                  | (708) 632-6999                |

henk@hgatenl.hobby.nl (Henk Dijkstra) (02/17/91)

harrisg@motcid.UUCP (Gary L. Harris) writes:

>jejones@mcrware.UUCP (James Jones) writes:

>>Yes--I use one all the time on my CoCo 3.  Tandy sells it, probably now
>>only through Express Order.

>Ideally I would like to find a cross compiler, possibly source, to
>run in a unix environment.  I think I may be asking too much however.

The small-c compiler comes with source, and can be compiled under unix
(although you have to look carefully for one wich includes a
6809 back end.
You could even try the Motorola bbs, and use the 68hc11 smallc as a
starting point to build your own.

There are also some commercially available ones. We use INTROL and are
very happy with it. (However a bit expensive, as I recall: $3000 for a
2 user unix version)

--
Henk Dijkstra				|| domain: henk@hgatenl.hobby.nl
Hobbynet User Group, Netherlands.	|| Tel: (+31) 3240-61683 (Voice)

halkoD@batman.moravian.EDU (David Halko) (02/19/91)

In article <4553@ash53.UUCP>, harrisg@motcid.UUCP (Gary L. Harris) writes:
> jejones@mcrware.UUCP (James Jones) writes:
>
> >Yes--I use one all the time on my CoCo 3.  Tandy sells it, probably now
> >only through Express Order.
>
> Ideally I would like to find a cross compiler, possibly source, to
> run in a unix environment.  I think I may be asking too much however.
>
> -Gary
> --
> +-----------------------------------------------------------------------+
> | Gary Harris                           | Motorola Inc.                 |
> | motcid!harrisg@uunet.uu.net           | Phone:                        |
> | uunet!motcid!harrisg                  | (708) 632-6999                |

There was one distributed over USENET last year, written in C (commented
in French) which would run under a UNIX system. I used to have it, but not
any longer. Does someone else still have a copy of it floating around? I
would like to have a copy of it, myself.

David J. Halko

wilker@gauss.math.purdue.edu (Clarence Wilkerson) (02/23/91)

I have seen some "small c " versions, but not any fullfledged
compilers. Also, I have not seen a small c compiler that
generates the "PIC" ( position independent code) required by
os9.
  In simtel20 <MSDOS.C>:mc20.zip is a c-compiler for the pc
which says that there are versions for other microprocessors,
for a modest price .
Clarence Wilkerson

harrisg@motcid.UUCP (Gary L. Harris) (02/26/91)

halkoD@batman.moravian.EDU (David Halko) writes:

>There was one distributed over USENET last year, written in C (commented
>in French) which would run under a UNIX system. I used to have it, but not
>any longer. Does someone else still have a copy of it floating around? I
>would like to have a copy of it, myself.

I know enough French to get by but the price (free) sounds good to me.

| Gary Harris                           | Motorola Inc.                 |
| motcid!harrisg@uunet.uu.net           | Phone:                        |
| uunet!motcid!harrisg                  | (708) 632-6999                |

kientzle@oreo.berkeley.edu (Tim Kientzle) (02/26/91)

   The "commented in French" program I saw was a 6809 _assembler_, not
a C compiler.  I might still have a copy sitting around, though I did
some house-cleaning recently, and it probably disappeared.  6809
assemblers are available from lots of sources, though (an assembler
for 6809/z80/6502/etc was recently posted to alt.sources).
   Introl used to sell a C compiler for OS9/6809, and may still have
one available.  I don't know much about Introl's products firsthand,
but I've heard that their compilers are pretty good, though a bit
pricey.
   I've been working on Small-C for OS9/6809.  The version I have now
seems to work pretty well, though with the standard limitations of
Small-C (no data types other than int, char, pointers, and
1-dimensional arrays).  Generates assembly output for Microware's RMA
assembler right now, though it could be altered for almost any
assembler without too much trouble.  It will be available on Delphi's
OS9 SIG soon.
					- Tim Kientzle
kientzle@math.berkeley.edu
ucbvax!math!kientzle