[comp.sys.m6809] COCO 128->512K

gmark@cbnewse.att.com (gilbert.m.stewart) (03/02/91)

All,
	I'm about to upgrade the COCO III I just bought from 128K to
512K.  What thoughts do people have regarding Tandy upgrade kits, other
company's kits, "Bare" boards ("Owl" for instance), etc..  What
chips do they use in the "piggy-back" kits?  INthanksADVANCE.

G. Mark Stewart
IX1g266
ihlpq!gms

session@uncw.UUCP (Zack C. Sessions) (03/03/91)

gmark@cbnewse.att.com (gilbert.m.stewart) writes:

>All,
>	I'm about to upgrade the COCO III I just bought from 128K to
>512K.  What thoughts do people have regarding Tandy upgrade kits, other
>company's kits, "Bare" boards ("Owl" for instance), etc..  What
>chips do they use in the "piggy-back" kits?  INthanksADVANCE.

>G. Mark Stewart

I would personally NOT recommend the Tandy 512K upgradde for
two reasons. 1) It is overpriced. 2) The chips are mounted on the
bottom of the board rather than the top, which can lead to
overheating problems, especially if you upgrade to 1Meg.
I like the Performance Peripherals (sp?) upgrade myself, and
they can be gotten for as little as $69.95.

Zack Sessions
session@uncw.UUCP

SJS132@psuvm.psu.edu (Steve Shimatzki) (03/04/91)

Someone mentioned the PP Upgrade... out of Couriosity, are they still
around?  When I recieved my upgrade from them, it was when memory was
REAL expensive... .Thanks to Mr. Reagan.... and I had a problem getting
it.. Went to them, They took my order, then said they couldnt do it at
the price they advertised.... They went looking for some cheaper chips,
and eventually found some that I could afford... GREAT service.  Do they
perhaps adveritse in a differnt mag?  I know that rainBLOW doesnt have
them in it... isnt there another Mag?  It was mainly a OS9 mag, and
printed on regular white paper... about 25 pages or so I think in the
issue I had.... Anyone?

-steve
 +--------------------+-----------------------------------------------------+
 |  Steven Shimatzki  |  "Grotesk: Goblin chief of the Goblinate of the     |
 |  RD#1 Box 20-A     |    Golden Horde.  Mean, even by goblin Standards."  |
 |  Dunbar, Pa 15431  |                               -Xanth Beastiary      |
 |                    +-----------------------------------------------------+
 |   [Phone Home]     | /\/\/\/\/ Internet:  SJS132@PSUVM.PSU.EDU \/\/\/\/\ |
 |--------------------+-----------------------------------------------------|
 | Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with the people I know, nor do I know   |
 |             the people I am with.  I just like the money they pay me.    |

session@uncw.UUCP (Zack C. Sessions) (03/05/91)

SJS132@psuvm.psu.edu (Steve Shimatzki) writes:

>Someone mentioned the PP Upgrade... out of Couriosity, are they still
>around?
[trimmed]
>-steve

The PP memory upgrade is the most popular brand carried by all the
third party vendors like Gimmesoft, Microcom, CoCoPRO! and others.
All their ads simply say 512K Upgrade. If you call them they'll
tell what brand it is.

Zack Sessions
session@uncw.UUCP

knudsen@cbnewsd.att.com (michael.j.knudsen) (03/07/91)

In article <1030@uncw.UUCP>, session@uncw.UUCP (Zack C. Sessions) writes:
> I would personally NOT recommend the Tandy 512K upgradde for
> two reasons. 1) It is overpriced.

Well it *was*, at $150.  But supposedly RatShack is unloading all Coco
wares at half price.  Or less.  If you could find one at a local
Shack for $75 and they sell it to you with hassle about
"installation required" then that's not a bad deal.

> 2) The chips are mounted on the
> bottom of the board rather than the top, which can lead to
> overheating problems, especially if you upgrade to 1Meg.

Depends on the chips.  I still think the finest 512K is the Hemphill,
with its "ZIP chips" mounted on edge under the board.  It runs very
cool, maybe cuz the chips are CMOS.  Or maybe that those chips were
properly attuned to the Coco3's oddball RAS/CAS timing that was
blamed for overheating most other chips, including Tandy's.
Zack is right that the Tandy chips get pretty warm.
I put a Tandy upgrade in my wife's Coco3,
but with non-Tandy chips, no fan, and have had no trouble.

I put Disto 1 Meg over my Hemphill 512K, and sure I had to build in
a fan, but that was the Disto's fault.  1 Meg turns your Coco into
a Commie-64, heatwise -- either add a fan or leave the case top off.

Admittedly I'd kept a little fan on top of my Coco3 before the 1 Meg,
but I also had a Puppo Eagle PC keyboard adapter in there that was
adding heat and heating up the power supply too.
--
"What America needs is A Thousand Points When Lit..."

	knudsen@iceland.att.com

halkoD@batman.moravian.EDU (David Halko) (03/15/91)

In article <1991Mar2.063830.7791@cbnewse.att.com>, gmark@cbnewse.att.com (gilbert.m.stewart) writes:

> All,
> 	I'm about to upgrade the COCO III I just bought from 128K to
> 512K.  What thoughts do people have regarding Tandy upgrade kits, other
> company's kits, "Bare" boards ("Owl" for instance), etc..  What
> chips do they use in the "piggy-back" kits?  INthanksADVANCE.
>
> G. Mark Stewart
> IX1g266
> ihlpq!gms

Most of the upgrades which I have seen for 512K use plug-in boards which
recommend the chopping of a capacitor on the motherboard, and that is
about all... no piggy-backing... (heck, the CoCo3 runs with 128K just
fine with the Cap clipped, too!)

There is a B&B 256K upgrade which uses piggybacking to get the extra
512K... that upgrade uses 64K x 4Bit chips...

Dave Halko