[comp.sys.m6809] 6809 emulator on the IBM-pc

kevin@latcs1.lat.oz.au (Kevin James Bertram) (06/04/91)

> In article <1991May31.165903.6336@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au> ded@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au (Matt Curtis) writes:
>>I'm studying first year computer tech. at Footscray Institute of
>> Technology. Cananyone please tell me where I might be able to find a
>> 6809 emulator for the PC? As i'm only a poor student (sob) I'm looking
>> for a PD one.. if there is one available..
>>
>>Regards,
>>Matt R. Curtis
>

> I second this.  I've been looking for a 6809 emulator for a while, too,
> and all I've found is a 6809 cross-assembler.  I've considered writing
> one myself, but (laziness prevails) if anyone knows of a freely-available
> one, I'd appreciate any info.
>
> Thanks,
>   Don Loflin
>   dll@emx.utexas.edu

Yes I have one, well almost. Just pumped some code through it last
night. The Emulator is an adaption of the 6801 emu that runs on the
IBM-pc to run 6809 code. Actually this is not hard as the 6809 will
execute the 6801's binary code. The 6801 is an adaption of the 6800
emulator that I wrote too.
I say that it is almost finished because I want to make sure that there
are very few bugs in it. IT can run 6800/6801 code alright but I'm
not sure yet on the 6809 stuff. That's using all the other new instructions
that makes a 6809 a 6809. The emulator supports all the software interupts
and the hardware interupts: NMI, IRQ, and FIRQ. So you can set up
a reasonably real evironment for your programs under test. I had a multi-
tasking OS running in the 6800 emu that did the lot including the
context switching. I have been developing software for the 6800 using
the 6800 emu for the last year and I recon it's pretty solid now.

The emulator is written in 8086 (for upward compatibility) assembler
and the critical parts optimised for speed. On a 386-33 it processes
about 130,000   m6800 instruction per second.

The 6809 emulator will be public domain when I'm happy with it as
are the 6800 and 6801 emu's. Incidently the 6800 emu will appear
on comp.binaries.ibm.pc really soon. If you want any of these let
me know and I'll post them to you. As for the 6809emu. If you
could express your interest and be willing to wait a week or two
I could send you a copy. This is assuming you have not found
another source.

	-Kevin Bertram (kevin@latcs1.oz)