[comp.sys.m6809] UNIX-C to 6800 Code

rogere@ogicse.cse.ogi.edu (Roger Ellingson) (06/22/91)

My apologies if redundant (new to this newsgroup excuse):

Is this newsgroup archived anywhere within the public's reach?

I just splurged and invested $50 in new batteries for an elderly Heathkit
Hero 1 robot.   Although the robot has a Basic interpreter on board,
I would just as soon hack `C' (or maybe Modula-2??) code on a UNIX
workstation and compile it into 680x instructions for the robot.

Does anyone know of C compilation tools or schemes suitable for generating
such 680x code on a generic UNIX workstation?

I have collected the source for some 680x cross-assemblers, are there
such things as generic (possibly small) `C' compilers that crank out
680x assembly/intermediate code?

Thank you.
Roger Ellingson
rogere@cse.ogi.edu

s891961@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Peter David Cupit) (06/25/91)

rogere@ogicse.cse.ogi.edu (Roger Ellingson) writes:

>Does anyone know of C compilation tools or schemes suitable for generating
>such 680x code on a generic UNIX workstation?

>I have collected the source for some 680x cross-assemblers, are there
>such things as generic (possibly small) `C' compilers that crank out
>680x assembly/intermediate code?

Hello,

   I recently recieved from a guy in Finland a package of stuff which includes
   a small C compiler which can <is reputed to>! produce 6809 out, among other
   things.   Have yet to manage to compile the thing under coherent 3.1.0,
   would be glad to send you the thing/s  (theres 1MB of it tar'd).  Was
   sent to me in 20 bits in btoa in mail.

   If you work out how to compile the compiler I'd be very grateful if you'd
   let me know how too, cause I don't understand it (esp Makefile, wierd).

   Let me know if you'd like me to send the stuff and in what format cause
   I have most tools available for packing/compressing etc.

   See u,
   Peter Cupit,
   ps  There is also floating point stuff for 6809, upgraded assist09, and
   some 68xx assemblers which are fast!

mcr@Sandelman.OCUnix.on.ca (Michael Richardson) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun25.014449.18008@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au> s891961@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Peter David Cupit) writes:
>>Does anyone know of C compilation tools or schemes suitable for generating
>>such 680x code on a generic UNIX workstation?

  I have a whole bunch of stuff here available for anonuucp. (It might
not help those of you in Oz though)

  Dial +16132370792, login as 'anonuucp' and ask for
latour!~nuucp/README.Z for an ls-lR, or just grab
~nuucp/archive/6809/README (which I reproduce below). There is a T2500
on that line.

latour Any ACU 19200 "" \r ogin: anonuucp

  There is also a guest account.
  Comments from Lawrence King, the hacker from whom I inherited my zoo
of '09 boards from:

6502asm	- this directory contains an assembler for the 6502 micro-
	processor. The executable command is as6502 and the man
	pages are also as6502.

6809asm	- this directory contains an assembler for the 6809 micro-
	processor. The executable command is as6809 and the man
	pages are also as6809. I ran the test programs which come
	with the assembler but I haven't actually written any code
	and tried to run it in a 6809 yet.

6809asm.pascal	- this is yet another assembler for 6809 this time
	written in pascal. I don't have a pascal compiler therefore
	this package is here for archival only.

asm_library	- this directory contains the source code for the
	library routines written in assembler which came with the Introl
	C compiler for 6809 on OS9 operating system. The code is probably
	all copyright of Introl and I am not sure where I managed to get
	this copy from. If you use it, use it with caution.

c_library	- this directory contains the source code for the
	library routines written in 'C' which came with the Introl
	C compiler for 6809 on OS9 operating system. The code is probably
	all copyright of Introl and I am not sure where I managed to get
	this copy from. If you use it, use it with caution. The
	transendental routines (sin, cos, tan ...) were written by
	Lawrence King and Mark Roberts in 1983, you are free to do what you
	like with them as long as you don't sell them for profit without
	giving Mark or Lawrence some of the profit (royalties).

c6809	- this is the source code for Preston Gurds C compiler for 6809.
	The compiler generates good code without too many stupids.

dis88	- this directory contains a disassembler for Intel 8088
	processors. I have not compiled and installed this package
	since it was intended for the PC/IX enviroment and knows
	how to disassemble PC/IX object files and executables, but
	there are no suck files on this system, hence this package
	is only usefull as an archive for anybody either 1) foolish
	enough to port this to the ICM or 2) anyone who wants to
	bring dis88 up on their own system.

kernel	- this directory contains 3 monitors for the 6809. Psymon is
	the monitor published by Percom Systems. Bert is a monitor
	written at the University of Waterloo. SmallC.os is a very
	simple operating system (monitor) which came with the Dr. Dobbs
	small c compiler for 6809.

rtx	- this directory contains a multi-tasking real time executive
	written by Lawrence King at the University of Waterloo for his
	fourth year project course. There are two versions of the monitor
	one for systems with memory management (DATs) and one for systems
	without.

smallc	- this is a port of the Dr. Dobbs small C compiler for 6809, 8080,
	68000, and vax. The 4 compilers are installed as sccas09, scc8080,
	sccm68k and sccvax. There are no man pages, Sorry, you will have to
	look through the directory and determine how it works as best you
	can.

smallc.old	- this contains a very old small C compiler. This version
	is supposed to be able to bootstrap itself, but it had dozens of
	compile errors in the first pass so I didn't bother bringing it
	up. Stored for archival purposes only.

zmac	- This directory contains a Z80 macro assembler, installed as zmac.
	There is also a Z80 disassembler called zdis.

--
   :!mcr!:            |  The postmaster never | So much mail,
   Michael Richardson |    resolves twice.    |  so little time.

s891961@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Peter David Cupit) (06/27/91)

Hello,

    This is a message to all those people who mailed me re the C cross compiler,
    (there were a few!).

    As I am busy, (exams),  will be mailing out the stuff on Saturday.
    Anyone who knows of an ftp site for the software, please mail me.

    Will answer all the mail, hang on. :)

    Peter Cupit.

s891961@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Peter David Cupit) (06/28/91)

I have sent all 20 parts which make up the smallc and assembler stuff to
these people:
mcrw@hobbit.gandalf.ca
mopar@pmax1.cis.pitt.edu
stephenm@project4.computer-science.manchester.ac.uk
djimenez@ringer.cs.utsa.edu

Could not send mail to Anthony Leccese?  Please send me a different email
address and I will try again.

for i in `cat mailing_list`
do
  echo "Mailing to id -> " $i