[comp.sys.tandy] Model 16 memory

michael@stb.UUCP (Michael) (11/23/86)

Can a model 16 be upgraded by plugging in 256K chips? If not, is there
a simple mod (not too much soldering) that can be done? If not, can I
use a model 6000 memory board? I need a meg in this, and the extra slot
being free is a nice side benefit.
--
Michael Gersten		ihnp4!ucla-cs!cepu!ucla-an!remsit!stb!michael
"But you can't go to war for not liking the same jokes"

wmf@chinet.UUCP (William M. Fischer) (12/07/86)

In article <791@stb.UUCP> michael@stb.UUCP writes:

>Can a model 16 be upgraded by plugging in 256K chips? If not, is there
Depending upon when your Model 6000 was made, up to either 768k or 1 meg
of RAM can be had by just filling in the empty slots on the memory board(s).

             |    Fortiter in re,       ||     Bill Fischer     |
             |       suaviter in modo.  ||  ...ihnp4!chinet!wmf |

pmk@prometheus.UUCP (Paul M Koloc) (12/08/86)

In article <855@chinet.UUCP> wmf@chinet.UUCP (William M. Fischer) writes:
>Depending upon when your Model 6000 was made, up to either 768k or 1 meg
>of RAM can be had by just filling in the empty slots on the memory board(s).

Of course, if it is truely a trs16 then it must be upgraded to a
6000 and that requires replacing the 68000 and mmu  with a kit
including a PAL chip.  The other change that is needed is that
the mem board should be changed, but the chips can be purchased
separately.  For a small additional fee at the time of purchase
of the upgrade the Tandy repair shop will do the job and you can
provide them the chips, purchased elsewhere for a "cheap" price.

But check into that first because tandy has been getting "edgy"
about their  "built in ripoffs".   Unfortunately for all, it
looks as if the "6000" is the "end of the road" at 1meg ram, and
can't be upgraded with the 68020/30 tower hardware coming out in
"new model" in the relatively near future.  Anybody knows anything
different, I would like to hear about it.

You should obtain the 3.0 software with the "deal" and it is well
worth it because of the added speed.

| Paul M. Koloc, President: (301) 445-1075                | FUSION |
| Prometheus II, Ltd.; College Park, MD 20740-0222        |  this  |
| {mimsy | seismo}!prometheus!pmk; pmk@prometheus.UUCP    | decade |