[comp.sys.tandy] CompuServe is closing down Orchestra-90 SIG

wchao@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (William Chao <Wchao@topaz.rutgers.edu>) (01/06/87)

   Upon recently gotten CompuServe account, I have found out that
they will very likely be closing down the ORCH90 Sig due to the
lack of access.  I have sent to Customer Service a note asking
about the status of over 500?? Orchestra 80/85/90 songs that are
on-line for people to download, and hopefully CompuServe will
keep the SIG on-line even without a sysop.  Hopefully I will
have some good news soon so stay tuned.......
  People have accounts there and have Orchestra 80/85/90s,
start downloading songs before they are wiped-out CLEAN!!
It's due to go off sometime this MONTH(January, 1987).

William Chao
wchao@topaz.rutgers.edu

bowdidge@iris.berkeley.edu (R.Bowdidge) (01/11/87)

Any chance some kind soul could send a few of the best of
the Orchestra-90 SIG to me? I never had a CompuServe
account, and so my Orchestra-90 board tends to sit around
and do nothing a lot...

Also, a question for all the TRSDOS wizards. I recently
found a copy of Microsoft's muMath mathematics program (for
the Model I) and the patches (from the Dec. 82 80 Micro) to
get it on a Model III.  Unfortunately, for some really
strange reason, such as the way the disk controller
formatted these disks makes it impossible to read them with
convert, super utility, or practically anything else on a
Model III.  Right now, I'm trying to find some old friends
with I's with disks to get the programs on a disk that I can
read, but until then, can anyone tell me what ezzactly
causes the problem? I was told it was that the 1771 disk
controller marks sectors with a different set of bytes,
making the 1791 ignore it all, and as such is a hardware
problem.
                                  Thanks in advance,

                                                 Robert Bowdidge
ucbvax!iris!bowdidge
bowdidge@ucbiris.BERKELEY.EDU
203 Griffiths 2650 Haste Berkeley CA 94720

--- In a rock concert, no one can hear you scream...

news@umnd-cs.UUCP (news) (01/13/87)

In article <2156@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> bowdidge@iris.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Robert Bowdidge) writes:

>Also, a question for all the TRSDOS wizards. I recently
>found a copy of Microsoft's muMath mathematics program (for
>the Model I) and the patches (from the Dec. 82 80 Micro) to
>get it on a Model III.  Unfortunately, for some really
>strange reason, such as the way the disk controller
>formatted these disks makes it impossible to read them with
>convert, super utility, or practically anything else on a
>Model III.  Right now, I'm trying to find some old friends
>with I's with disks to get the programs on a disk that I can
>read, but until then, can anyone tell me what ezzactly
>causes the problem? I was told it was that the 1771 disk
>controller marks sectors with a different set of bytes,
>making the 1791 ignore it all, and as such is a hardware
>problem.

	The problem is in what is called a Data Address Marker (DAM). The
   model 1 used a marker that is immpossible for the controller in the 3/4
   to read on a sector basis. The only way you could read the disk is to use
   the Read Track command in SU and then manually edit the markers to something
   that the model 3/4 can digest. I would say try to find a model 1 buddy with
   LDOS 5.1.4 for the model 1, it'll be much easier that way. Sorry I couldn't
   solve your problem for you but I hope you have a better idea about why it's
   not working. If you can find a copy the book "TRS-80 disk & other mysterys"
   might help you, the title is close and IJG published it. The book is VERY
   rare so you probably won't be able to find a copy. If you have any other
   questions let me know. As a side, how many people read this group? I've
   never seen much activity on it so I decided I'd start talking. I've had
   various Tandy Z-80 systems since 1980 and have quite a bit of experience
   with the machines. Does anyone out there have a 1/3/4 question they'd
   like to ask? I might be able to help. Let's see if we can get some
   action in this group, it's way too quiet. How 'bout some, legitimate,
   sources being posted? I have a model 3 terminal program that works
   with vi and unix, even news. Would anybody be interested in it? Well,
   enough of me for today,

			-Rob Healey
			University of Minnesota, Duluth

cc1@locus.ucla.edu (Michael Gersten) (01/14/87)

If you want to get a model 3 to read a model 1 disk, there are two ways to
fix the DAM problem:

1. Under NeWDOS80 on the 3, type 'wrdirp n' to convert drive n

2. Under LDOS on the 3, you have something similar

3. Under NeWDOS80 on the 1, you can set a system option, and then do
'wrdirp n'

4. Under LDOS on the one, the same as 2

(Ldos (I belive) uses the same DAM for both 1 and 3. Trsdos on the one
doesn't like that. I use NeWDOS.)
      Views expressed here may not be those of the Computer Club, UCLA, or
  anyone in their left OR right mind.  And that's the name o' that tune.