[comp.sys.tandy] Terminal emulators for Model III

marty1@houem.UUCP (01/14/87)

In article <359@umnd-cs-gw.umnd-cs.UUCP>, news@umnd-cs.UUCP (news), a.k.a.
rhealey@umn-d-ub.UUCP (Rob Healey), writes:
>    ..... Let's see if we can get some
>    action in this group, it's way too quiet. How 'bout some, legitimate,
>    sources being posted? I have a model 3 terminal program that works
>    with vi and unix, even news. Would anybody be interested in it? Well,
>    enough of me for today,

Should sources be posted to this newsgroup, or is there another place
to put machine-readable (rather than people-readable) messages?

Anyway, three TRS-80's owned by a non-profit organization are sitting
in my basement: (1) a Model III with 48K, limping disks, and RS232,
(2) a Model III with 48K, no disks, and RS232, and (3) a Model 4 with
64K, no disks, no RS232.  I also have a program that makes the 80x24
screen in the 4 accessible to a Model III disk OS, but it doesn't work
reliably with the cassette OS in ROM, and I can't fix it because I
don't have the source.  So I can't use the VT132 terminal emulator,
even if I knew how to move the RS232 hardware from the III to the 4.

The III's run a terminal emulator based on one copyrighted by Ron Bemis
(somewhere in Oregon).  I added the ability to send DEL and BREAK and a
cursor-addressing capability.  I also changed the disk file transfer
capabilities to cassette capabilities (because I didn't get the disks
until later, and haven't had time to put the disk capability back).  I
use it for UNIX(tm) systems and for TSO (yechhh!).  It works with vi
and curses on all the UNIX machines I use, but it can't emulate any
well known terminal because of its 64x16 screen, so I had to write
termcap and terminfo entries for it.

Do I have anything anybody else wants?  Does anybody else have anything
I can use?

M. B. Brilliant					Marty
AT&T-BL HO 3D-520	(201)-949-1858
Holmdel, NJ 07733	ihnp4!houem!marty1

msl5864@ritcv.UUCP (Michael S. Leibow) (01/16/87)

In article <779@houem.UUCP> marty1@houem.UUCP writes:
>In article <359@umnd-cs-gw.umnd-cs.UUCP>, news@umnd-cs.UUCP (news), a.k.a.
>rhealey@umn-d-ub.UUCP (Rob Healey), writes:
>>    ..... Let's see if we can get some
>>    action in this group, it's way too quiet. How 'bout some, legitimate,
>>    sources being posted? I have a model 3 terminal program that works
>>    with vi and unix, even news. Would anybody be interested in it? Well,
>>    enough of me for today,
>
>Should sources be posted to this newsgroup, or is there another place
>to put machine-readable (rather than people-readable) messages?
>
>Anyway, three TRS-80's owned by a non-profit organization are sitting
>in my basement: (1) a Model III with 48K, limping disks, and RS232,
>(2) a Model III with 48K, no disks, and RS232, and (3) a Model 4 with
>64K, no disks, no RS232.  I also have a program that makes the 80x24
>screen in the 4 accessible to a Model III disk OS, but it doesn't work
>reliably with the cassette OS in ROM, and I can't fix it because I
>don't have the source.  So I can't use the VT132 terminal emulator,
>even if I knew how to move the RS232 hardware from the III to the 4.
>
>The III's run a terminal emulator based on one copyrighted by Ron Bemis
>(somewhere in Oregon).  I added the ability to send DEL and BREAK and a
>cursor-addressing capability.  I also changed the disk file transfer
>capabilities to cassette capabilities (because I didn't get the disks
>until later, and haven't had time to put the disk capability back).  I
>use it for UNIX(tm) systems and for TSO (yechhh!).  It works with vi
>and curses on all the UNIX machines I use, but it can't emulate any
>well known terminal because of its 64x16 screen, so I had to write
>termcap and terminfo entries for it.
>
>Do I have anything anybody else wants?  Does anybody else have anything
>I can use?
>
>M. B. Brilliant					Marty
>AT&T-BL HO 3D-520	(201)-949-1858
>Holmdel, NJ 07733	ihnp4!houem!marty1

I got a model three version that puts the computer in model IV mode,
but it's got a lot of bugs in it and I am not sure where it is.  BUt if
anyone is interested, I could post that too.....

--
Michael S. Leibow
UUCP:		{allegra,seismo}!rochester!ritcv!msl5864

news@umnd-cs.UUCP (01/17/87)

>Should sources be posted to this newsgroup, or is there another place
>to put machine-readable (rather than people-readable) messages?

	Good question, with comp.sources/net.sources in limbo where would
   it go? By posting it here we could "keep it in the family" so-to-speak.
   I'll need some definite I want its before I burdon USENET with my code.

>Anyway, three TRS-80's owned by a non-profit organization are sitting
>in my basement: (1) a Model III with 48K, limping disks, and RS232,
>(2) a Model III with 48K, no disks, and RS232, and (3) a Model 4 with
>64K, no disks, no RS232.  I also have a program that makes the 80x24
>screen in the 4 accessible to a Model III disk OS, but it doesn't work
>reliably with the cassette OS in ROM, and I can't fix it because I
>don't have the source.  So I can't use the VT132 terminal emulator,
>even if I knew how to move the RS232 hardware from the III to the 4.

	If you have a cassette based four the model 3 disk interface might
   work in it as well as the RS232. Email me if you think you might like
   to look into this. Your best bet might be to upgrade the disk based 3
   to a four or buy a disk/memory upgrade kit for the 4.

>The III's run a terminal emulator based on one copyrighted by Ron Bemis
>(somewhere in Oregon).  I added the ability to send DEL and BREAK and a
>cursor-addressing capability.  I also changed the disk file transfer
>capabilities to cassette capabilities (because I didn't get the disks
>until later, and haven't had time to put the disk capability back).  I
>use it for UNIX(tm) systems and for TSO (yechhh!).  It works with vi
>and curses on all the UNIX machines I use, but it can't emulate any
>well known terminal because of its 64x16 screen, so I had to write
>termcap and terminfo entries for it.

	My terminal program allows disk only I/O. I spent 6 months totally
   rewriting the terminal program for a lousy PD one I found. My terminal
   program has to run under LDOS 5.x in order to work properly. I have
   termcap and terminfo files for it. If anyone is REALLY interested I'll
   write a whole article on it.

>Do I have anything anybody else wants?  Does anybody else have anything
>I can use?

	What kind of programs are you looking for? My only other original
   work is a disk zapper that uses it's own I/O routines; It doesn't do
   any error checking so you can wipe out disks as fast as you can fix 'em.
   I have a double sided version for zapping IBM PC disks on a 3/4. Anybody
   interested?

>M. B. Brilliant					Marty
>AT&T-BL HO 3D-520	(201)-949-1858
>Holmdel, NJ 07733	ihnp4!houem!marty1

		-Rob Healey
		University of Minnesota, Duluth

		rhealey@umn-d-ub.d.umn.edu
	ihnp4!rosevax!umd-cs!umn-d-ub!rhealey (I wouldn't trust this one)
	Sorry I can't give and accurate UUCP address but the University's
	mailing system is in a state of flux, try the address given in the
	header of this article.