[comp.sys.tandy] Current LDOS version

news@umnd-cs.UUCP (news) (12/28/86)

	The current version of LDOS is 5.3. The previous version was 5.1.4. The
   new version is being shipped now. To get a copy send $24.95 + $2 (S&H in US)
		MISOSYS, Inc.
		P.O. box 239
		Sterling, VA 22170-0239
		703-450-4181 MC & VISA

	 They just started shipping the new release this month, January. It
   solves the date problem and all sorts of new stuff has been added. LSI
   has released the Model 4 counter-part for Model 4's, check a recent issue of
   80-Micro if you have a model 4 and need the 6.3 operating system. It appears
   Tandy is going to stay out of the upgrades so you'll have to order from
   Misosys or LSI directly. When you order LDOS 5.3 ask for Misosys's catalog,
   Misosys has the best utility and language/os software for the Model 3/4
   bar none. I've gotten disassemblers, assemblers, compilers and utilitys
   from them and have had no problems at all; they maintain their software
   and keep improving it as well. Misosys is one of the few companys that
   didn't abandon the 1/3/4 line when Tandy decided to drop the Z80 line.

		-Rob Healey
		University of Minnesota, Duluth

One of the last surviving Model 1/3/4 hardcores.

paul@devon.UUCP (Paul Sutcliffe Jr.) (01/08/87)

In article <347@umnd-cs-gw.umnd-cs.UUCP>, news@umnd-cs.UUCP (news) writes:
>    Misosys is one of the few companys that
>    didn't abandon the 1/3/4 line when Tandy decided to drop the Z80 line.
>
> 		-Rob Healey

Huh?  Tandy dropped the Z80 line?  Well, maybe the Model 12, but they
still sell the Model 4; now better that ever with the double-sided
floppy drives.

Did I say sell?  Maybe I should have said _carry_.  I doubt very much
if they are actually *selling* any.

-paul

--
Paul Sutcliffe, Jr.	 UUCP: {seismo,ihnp4,allegra,rutgers}!cbmvax!devon!paul
Devon Computer Services  COMPUSERVE: 76176,502

news@umnd-cs.UUCP (news) (01/11/87)

In article <199@devon.UUCP> paul@devon.UUCP (Paul Sutcliffe Jr.) writes:
>In article <347@umnd-cs-gw.umnd-cs.UUCP>, news@umnd-cs.UUCP (news) writes:
>>    Misosys is one of the few companys that
>>    didn't abandon the 1/3/4 line when Tandy decided to drop the Z80 line.
>>
>> 		-Rob Healey
>
>Huh?  Tandy dropped the Z80 line?  Well, maybe the Model 12, but they
>still sell the Model 4; now better that ever with the double-sided
>floppy drives.
>
>Did I say sell?  Maybe I should have said _carry_.  I doubt very much
>if they are actually *selling* any.
>
>-paul

	I guess I should have phrased that ABANDONED. The model 4 series
   had alot of promise left in it, still does. Take a look at the xler8er(sp)
   board and other options that third partys have come out with. Tandy has
   chosen to follow IBM and drop the 8 bit market, I'm sure the Coco's
   days are numbered as well. I think that 8 bit computers could still
   represent a reasonably good market if the computers were priced right.
   A 4D should sell for $600 at most, not $1199. I have CP/M for my 4 and
   there are alot of the same PD programs for the 8 bit machines as there
   are for the 16 bit ones. I'm starting to feel windy B^) so I'll finish
   up before I get too windy; if priced and marketed properly, 8 bit machines
   like the model 4 could be sold, Tandy chose not to do that. I love my 4 and
   can do some things on it that I haven't been able to do on the 8088/86 series
   machines, I just have to bank switch a little more than 8088's have to.

			-Rob Healey
			University of Minnesota, Duluth

p.s.
	Could the wonderful person who offered the terminal package post it
	or tell me where I can get my greedy little hands on it?
					Thank-you.

p.p.s
	I just got LS-DOS 6.3, it looks great! Upgrading my files was easy,
	now all I's gots to do is write a make program for pro-mc and I'll
	be in business, who needs 8088's when a z80 can do the job at a better
	price! ( I'll add that I think the 4D should be ~$500).

V3R@PSUVMA.BITNET (01/14/87)

How can you say the CoCo's days are numbered when Tandy just released the new
CoCo III?

Victor Ricker

news@umnd-cs.UUCP (01/17/87)

In article <9601V3R@PSUVMA> V3R@PSUVMA.BITNET writes:
>How can you say the CoCo's days are numbered when Tandy just released the new
>CoCo III?
>
>Victor Ricker

	My roomate has a coco 2, I think it's a great machine. Don't
      misinterpret my comments as meaning I have something against the machines.
      The CoCo 3 should have been more, better Disk I/O, printer interface, and
      a REAL RS232 interface. If Tandy was serious about their 8 bit
      line I think they would have come out with a better CoCo 3 and an upgraded
      4.

	Unfortunately, like many other companys, Tandy has taken the position
      of PC all the way and give them a stop gap till they buy a PC. My main
      point is that 8 bitters like the CoCo and the 4 should not be back seat
      to the Intel junk, they fullfill a need. How much PR have you heard from
      Tandy on the CoCo 3? All the Stores/Centers I've been in have the CoCo's
      stashed in the corner and the PC compatables on prominant display.
      If Tandy was 100% behind the CoCo why are they shoved in the corner and
      not as well advertised as the PC gang? Tandy just had 1/2 price sales
      on CoCo hardware and software; we all know what THAT means.

	I say the CoCo's days are numbered because of the lack of advertisement
      space given to CoCo's and the fact that they are being stuffed in the
      corner.  Walk into a Computer center and ask to see a home computer, what
      computer will they show you first? I don't think the salesperson will
      first show you a CoCo, they should.

	By the way, I'm planning on buying a CoCo 3 later this year, a much
      better deal in my eyes. OS9 L2, high res graphics, base < $200; my kind of
      deal!