[comp.sys.tandy] Ram disk on Tandy 1000's

840411s@aucs.UUCP (01/23/87)

  I am using MS-DOS 3.20 on a Tandy 1000, and I want to use the Ram disk
capability, but can find no information on how to accomplish this.
Could someone please tell me the steps and procedures to accomplish
this.  Thanks in advance.

ma168a@sdcc3.UUCP (02/08/87)

In article <250@aucs.UUCP>, 840411s@aucs.UUCP (Black Widow) writes:

>   I am using MS-DOS 3.20 on a Tandy 1000, and I want to use the Ram disk
> capability, but can find no information on how to accomplish this.
> Could someone please tell me the steps and procedures to accomplish

I assume the manual for the Tandy 1000 is isomorphic to the one for the Tandy
3000.  If so, the information is in Appendix D which deals with Installable
Device Drivers.	 You must place the following line in a CONFIG.SYS file:

	DEVICE=VDISK.SYS [storage sector-size dir /E]

The information in square brackets is optional. "storage" is the size in
kilobytes for the RAMDISK area -- it defaults to 64k.  "sector-size" is
the sector size of the virtual disk -- choices are 15, 256, 128 bytes with
the default 128. "dir" is the number of entries in a virtual disk's directory
(allowable choices are 2 to 512 -- default is 64). "/E" will only be applicable
for the "3000" -- it specifies that the RAMDISK be in "expansion memory" above
the 1Meg standard address space [the 80286 has extended addressing capability
but, of course, you need the chips!].
   The defaults are well chosen. The new disk will be accessed by the letter
one higher than the highest current drive (if you have two disks "A" and "B"
the RAMDISK becomes "C").  It works well for certain applications -- the main
problem being the time it takes to read files to the RAMDISK at startup and
to save them at the end [plus the worry that a power interruption could wipe
out the whole thing].