[comp.sys.tandy] Info on the Model 100

sidoroff@umn-cs.UUCP (02/08/87)

A friend and I recently got into playing with the Model 100's innards.  Much
to our despair, the technical reference guide leaves much to be desired.  Are
there any books, articles, ANYTHING that tells more about the inside workings
of this beast.  A memory map for example, what ports do what, entry points to
the routines in the ROMs.  We also have a portable disk drive and any info on
that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Don Sidoroff and Ross Schmidt

perry@vu-vlsi.UUCP (02/09/87)

The best place for Model 100 information that I know of is the M100 SIG
on Compuserve, LOTS of programs (including TDD stuff), informative files,
and interesting people.  It is worth getting a CIS account just for the
M100 SIG access. (I don't use it myself anymore since I traded the M100
in for a Pyramid 90x :-)

A good book on inside workings is:

	Hidden Powers of the TRS-80 Model 100
	by Christopher L. Morgan,
	The Waite Group, Plume/Waite 1984

oster@lapis.berkeley.edu.UUCP (02/09/87)

I asked this same question (details on the Model 100) just last month.
Here is a sumary of what I was told.
You might want to try _Inside the Model 100_ by Carl Oppendahl.  It is a
very well-written text on the inner workings.  It is oriented more toward
the hardware aspects of the machine, but it has lots of ROM openings, too.

You could hook a machine language program
to the "very often" routine (a hook out of the background task) described in
_Hidden Powers of the TRS-80 Model 100_ by the Waite Group.  It may also be
described in _Inside the..._, but I haven't looked.

From @eddie.mit.edu:T.MOORE@DEEP-THOUGHT.MIT.EDU Mon Jan 26 18:55:15 1987
Date: Sun 25 Jan 87 20:14:32-EST
From: Andrew Moore <@eddie.mit.edu:T.MOORE@DEEP-THOUGHT.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Re: M100 bbs
To: oster@lapis

   I got a lot of technical information on the Model 100 from Carl
Oppedahl's "Inside the Model 100"rn{, published by Weber Systems,
$19.95, 8437 Mayfield Rd., Chesterland, OHIO 44026 (I can get the number
if you want it).  Excellent book.  It's the most complete tech book on
the M100 that I've seen.

-drew
-------