[comp.sys.tandy] Model 4 in Model III mode

jeffs@wjvax.UUCP (03/27/87)

   I was wondering if anybody out there is familiar about running a Model 4
in the Model 3 mode. I've heard that all you had to do is boot up the
Model 4 with a Model III system disk. Is this correct?
   Another thing is which Model 3 operating system should I use that's the
best or most compatible. I've read in Micro 80 that Miosys(sp?) offers
a LDOS 5.3 operating system. Is this any good? Is this all I need or is this
LDOS 5.3 purely an upgrade meaning I need a disk previous to this to use
this LDOS 5.3? I'm confused. Any help offered greatly appreciated.

  One more thing any used the new LDOS 6.3(upgrade for TRSDOS 6.2)  that is
also available?

Thanks in advance.

            Don't lose your head to gain a minute,
            You need your head your brains are in it.
                                              Burma Shave
--------
jeffery siou
...!{ ucbvax!decwrl!qubix, mordor!turtlevax, ihnp4!pesnta}!wjvax!jeffs

the above opinion's expressed are solely those of mine and is not at
all that of wj's or in any way related to wj's(they don't have one).

--

glass@okstate.UUCP (03/30/87)

Jeffery Siou writes:

>    I was wondering if anybody out there is familiar about running a Model 4
> in the Model 3 mode. I've heard that all you had to do is boot up the
> Model 4 with a Model III system disk. Is this correct? ...

In order to use a Model 4 in the Model 3 mode, you need to have the file
"MODELA/III" present on the model 3 diskette.  When the 4 boots, it will
look for this file on your diskette and go into the appropriate mode.  The
"MODELA/III" file should be supplied along with the DOS disk from Radio Shack.

Donnie Glass

Disclaimer:

          I didn't do it.

glass@a.cs.okstate.edu

johnw@reed.UUCP (03/31/87)

A model 4 contains all the rom that the original three had. (excluding 4p's)
That is how they made the model 4 64k instead of 48.  The model three used
the rest of the space for basic rom.  So using basic on a 4 uses up ram, so you
end of with less user memory than the 3 had in the first place.
As for a model 3 operating system, borrow a copy of trs-dos 1.3.
It may not be as elegant as many others, but it works just fine, does what you
tell it to do, quickly and efficiently without many glitches. Actually I have
yet to see any.  And because the machine was sold with trs-dos it ends up
being the most used operating system. Thus the most suported.  Remember
to Press reset whenever you switch operating systems!

msl5864@ritcv.UUCP (03/31/87)

In article <1802@a.cs.okstate.edu> glass@a.cs.okstate.edu (Donnie Glass) writes:
>Jeffery Siou writes:
>>
>>    I was wondering if anybody out there is familiar about running a Model 4
>> in the Model 3 mode. I've heard that all you had to do is boot up the
>> Model 4 with a Model III system disk. Is this correct? ...
>
>In order to use a Model 4 in the Model 3 mode, you need to have the file
>"MODELA/III" present on the model 3 diskette.  When the 4 boots, it will
>look for this file on your diskette and go into the appropriate mode.  The
>"MODELA/III" file should be supplied along with the DOS disk from Radio Shack.
>
>Donnie Glass

This is totally wrong.  Might be true or similar for a 4P, but not for a IV.

--
Michael S. Leibow
UUCP:		{allegra,seismo}!rochester!ritcv!msl5864

rhealey@umnd-cs.UUCP (03/31/87)

In article <855@wjvax.wjvax.UUCP> jeffs@wjvax.UUCP (Jeffery Siou) writes:
>   I was wondering if anybody out there is familiar about running a Model 4
>in the Model 3 mode. I've heard that all you had to do is boot up the
>Model 4 with a Model III system disk. Is this correct?

	Sure is correct, in fact, I play some model 1 games in model 3 mode
   on my model 4; say that 10 times fast :^).
   The 4 defaults to being 100% Model 3, you have to tickle a few ports in
   order for it to realise its a model 4! Any model 3 software will work
   on a 4.

>   Another thing is which Model 3 operating system should I use that's the
>best or most compatible. I've read in Micro 80 that Miosys(sp?) offers
>a LDOS 5.3 operating system. Is this any good? Is this all I need or is this
>LDOS 5.3 purely an upgrade meaning I need a disk previous to this to use
>this LDOS 5.3? I'm confused. Any help offered greatly appreciated.

	LDOS 5.3 is all you need, it would help if you could get ahold of
   an old Radio Shack Hard Disk System Manual, an LDOS manual by any other
   name. Also, if you already have the TRSDOS 6.x manual you basically have
   the LDOS 5.3 manual. 5.3 comes with EXTENSIVE help built in so the manual
   isn't 100% neccessary. LDOS 5.3 has alot of nice features so if you have
   to be in model 3 mode, LDOS 5.3 is the only way to go. As a side, Misosys
   makes THE best software for the models 1/3/4, its owner, Roy Soltoff,
   wrote most of LDOS 5.x and a good majority of TRSDOS 6.x. Get a catalog
   if you order LDOS 5.3 from them, I think you'll get one automatically but
   it doesn't hurt to ask.

>  One more thing any used the new LDOS 6.3(upgrade for TRSDOS 6.2)  that is
>also available?

	YOU BET, It's a GREAT system and I have yet to find a bug. The
   timestamps are nice to have. I'm currently trying to figure out a
   clean way of manipulating time/dates in Misosys' C. I recommend 6.3
   100%.

>Thanks in advance.

	Your Welcome,

		-Rob Healey
		rhealey@ub.d.umn.edu

stein@rocksanne.UUCP (03/31/87)

>In order to use a Model 4 in the Model 3 mode, you need to have the file
>"MODELA/III" present on the model 3 diskette.  When the 4 boots, it will
>look for this file on your diskette and go into the appropriate mode.  The
>"MODELA/III" file should be supplied along with the DOS disk from Radio Shack.

The file MODELA/III is only needed if running on a 4p.  If you are running
a regular 4, all you need do it boot up using a model 3 disk.

						Adam

harris@dg_rtp.UUCP (03/31/87)

In article <1802@a.cs.okstate.edu> glass@a.cs.okstate.edu (Donnie Glass) writes:
>Jeffery Siou writes:
>>
>>    I was wondering if anybody out there is familiar about running a Model 4
>> in the Model 3 mode. I've heard that all you had to do is boot up the
>> Model 4 with a Model III system disk. Is this correct? ...
>
>In order to use a Model 4 in the Model 3 mode, you need to have the file
>"MODELA/III" present on the model 3 diskette.  When the 4 boots, it will
>look for this file on your diskette and go into the appropriate mode.  The
>"MODELA/III" file should be supplied along with the DOS disk from Radio Shack.
>
>Donnie Glass

That's not right. (I think.)  The model IV has model III roms inside the
machine.  The model IVP does not have these roms and therefore needs to
read the rom image (MODELA/III) off the disk.

By the way, hold down the break key when powering on the IV and
you will go into model III "cassette" mode.

Mark

harris@dg_rtp.UUCP (03/31/87)

Yes, I have LS-DOS 6.3 for the Model IV.  Works fine.

One doesn't need any prior DOS release to use LDOS 5.3 for the Model III.
Go for it.

Mark

ma016614@cisunx.UUCP (04/01/87)

In article <1802@a.cs.okstate.edu> glass@a.cs.okstate.edu (Donnie Glass) writes:

>In order to use a Model 4 in the Model 3 mode, you need to have the file
>"MODELA/III" present on the model 3 diskette.  When the 4 boots, it will

No, thats only for a Model 4P.  On a regular Model 4, you just boot up the
model III diskette as if it were a model III.  In fact, if you hold break
and press Reset, it will put you in Model III Basic (non-disk).

--
Andy "Noise" Andrews                  Disclaimer:  The opinons expressed above
                                      are mine.  Nobody else around here is

harris@dg_rtp.UUCP (04/01/87)

In article <498@umnd-cs.D.UMN.EDU> rhealey@ub.UUCP (Rob Healey) writes:
>   I'm currently trying to figure out a
>   clean way of manipulating time/dates in Misosys' C.
>
>		-Rob Healey
>		rhealey@ub.d.umn.edu

If you come up with something neat and you're willing to share, I'd
like to see it.

Mark

jnp@calmasd.UUCP (04/01/87)

(Donnie Glass) writes:
> Jeffery Siou writes:
> >
> >    I was wondering if anybody out there is familiar about running a Model 4
> > in the Model 3 mode. ...
>
> In order to use a Model 4 in the Model 3 mode, you need to have the file
> "MODELA/III" present on the model 3 diskette.

	This is only true for the 4P - my mod 4 boots a Mod 3 disk all by
itself - just fine.  The 4P apparently doesn't have some of the ROM in the
vanilla 4.
--
These opinions are solely mine and in no way reflect those of my employer.
John M. Pantone @ GE/Calma R&D, Data Management Group, San Diego

rhealey@umnd-cs.UUCP (04/04/87)

In article <1540@dg_rtp.UUCP> harris@dg_rtp.UUCP (Mark Harris) writes:
>>   I'm currently trying to figure out a
>>   clean way of manipulating time/dates in Misosys' C.
>>		-Rob Healey
>If you come up with something neat and you're willing to share, I'd
>like to see it.
>Mark

	Roy Soltoff might beat me too it, I here rumors that he is
   fixing up the library for mc, the misosys C compiler, so that
   the stat function call returns a properly formatted time field. It
   would be REAL nice if he did this so that I wouldn't have to figure
   out a way to convert from LS-DOS<=>Unix. Sigh.....

	If I do manage to write these routines, school keeps me busy,
   they definitly will be released to the public domain. Another back-
   burner project is adding a directory system, a 'la unix sort of, to
   LS-DOS. I'm wondering if it's worth my time to unbury my notes I
   scribbled down last summer about the directory system. The directorys
   would only work for non-SYS files. The overlays would still have to
   remain in the "root" directory. mkdir, cd and company would be seperate
   utilities to maintain directorys. Directorys files would use the DAM as
   the root directory so that one could ID a directory file just by doing
   a check of the DAM, look ma..no bits used to indicated a file is a directory!
   The directory system would install as a high memory module and intercept
   open,close,read,write,etc calls via the SVC table. The current working
   directory would have a drive and pathname associated with it so only
   one directory plus all root directorys could be accessed at any one time.
   I don't know if catching the SVC's would do the trick as far as insuring
   that the system would trash a disk. Any input from the net? Anybody know
   if my theory would work? I have very detailed ideas for this system sitting
   somewhere at home but they are burried deep inside my closet; where no
   human has gone before ......

	Enough rambling for today,

		-Rob

		rhealey@ub.d.umn.edu

johnw@reed.UUCP (04/04/87)

MODELA/III is needed only by the 4p which is not equiped with the proper
built in roms.