[comp.sys.tandy] Munging OS's for Treed Directories

UUCP@vu-vlsi.UUCP (05/27/87)

Rob Healey writes:

>>So what's the rudest thing you ever did to a TRSDOS 1.3 diskette?
>>
>>Give TRSDOS 1.3 a tree-structured directory just like UNIX.
>>
>>Any discussion?  Someone's GOT to have tried this before! How many hav
>>taken a good Operating Systems class?
>
>    If your going to hack up directorys at least do it on a DECENT OS. S:
>
>    One of the LDOS's would prove nice. By the way, it's not as
>    outrageous as you might think. I have an idea of how to add
>    directorys by adding a high memory driver but Roy Soltoff never
>    responded to my inquiry about how much kernal munging would need   d
>    to be done. Oh well....

I have to agree.  If you are working on a Model 3, get LDOS 5.3, and
mung that!  LDOS is CHEEP now, and it's an excellent OS.  There is also
the fact that any directory perversion you come up with will also most
likely work under LSI-DOS 6.3 for the Model *4*.  I would LOVE to have
a tree directory structure; it's one of the exceedinly few things that
Mess-DOS does better than LSI-DOS.

                    ---- George Madison

--------------------
'Your logic is impeccable, Captain; we are in grave danger.'
--------------------
BITNET: 7gmadiso@pomona
UUCP:   psuvax1!pomona.bitnet!7gmadiso
ARPA:   7gmadiso%pomona@wiscvm.wisc.edu

oolidjr@hubcap.UUCP (Joseph L Moll) (05/27/87)

Hi guys ...

     I have used LDOS 5.1.x on my Model 3, but I use DOSPLUS more.
Anyone out there using DOSPLUS 3.5??  I believe it is easier to work
with than LDOS.  I don't do much with the ole grey box anymore, but I
still play with it now and again.

     I also have a graphics board on my machine.  Anyone out there have
any interesting graphics applications that are public domain??

     Send any replies to:

** Joe Moll        **  UUCP { }!gatech!hubcap!oolidjr
** Clemson Univ    **  Internet  oolidjr@hubcap.clemson.edu
************************************************************************s

bowdidge@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Robert Bowdidge) (05/28/87)

In article <861@vu-vlsi.UUCP> psuvax1!7GMADISO@POMONA.BITNET writes:
>Rob Healey writes:
>>>So what's the rudest thing you ever did to a TRSDOS 1.3 diskette?
>>>
>>>Give TRSDOS 1.3 a tree-structured directory just like UNIX.
>>>
>>>Any discussion?  Someone's GOT to have tried this before! How many hav
>>>taken a good Operating Systems class?
>>    If your going to hack up directorys at least do it on a DECENT OS. S:
>>    One of the LDOS's would prove nice. By the way, it's not as
>>    outrageous as you might think. I have an idea of how to add
>>    directorys by adding a high memory driver but Roy Soltoff never
>I have to agree.  If you are working on a Model 3, get LDOS 5.3, and
>mung that!  LDOS is CHEEP now, and it's an excellent OS.  There is also
>the fact that any directory perversion you come up with will also most
>likely work under LSI-DOS 6.3 for the Model *4*.
>                    ---- George Madison

The only reason I wanted to use TRSDOS in the first place was since I had the
sources to it but not to LDOS.  I didn't think I'd be using a Model 4 very much,
so compatibility wasn't an issue and I was thinking of MAJOR changes (ie get
rid of passwords, for example -- it's a waste of memory for me)
In short, I want a baby UNIX.  Now, with that 768K memory board I keep
hearing about, it might just be possible :-)
Of course, if you're talking compatibility, that wasn't a priority...
So use LDOS if you're into filters or major disassembly, but I'll stick with
s known quantity.  Besides, think of all the WONDERFUL changes you could make
to fix the problems it's got!
--Robert
                                                           Robert Bowdidge
   ..ucbvax!cory!bowdidge       |        bowdidge%cory@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU
                                |        or     bowdidge@cory.BERKELEY.EDU
E2A Cloyne Court  2600 Ridge Road  Berkeley CA  94709-1099  (415) 549-6367
            o                   o                    o
"Neil, the bathroom's free... unlike this country under the Thatcher Junta!"
					  --- Ric the Radical Poet