[comp.sys.tandy] Double-sided disk for LDOS 5.3

wchao@topaz.rutgers.edu (William Chao) (05/19/87)

   Can someone tell me how to make double-sided LDOS 5.3 boot-disks
from a single-sided LDOS 5.3 master disk.  I tried first by formatting
double-sided and then issue a BACKUP :0 :1 (S,I) to get the system
files copied over, but it will not boot, I'll get a DISK-ERROR message
on the screen.  I have successfully made double-sided boot-disks
for LS-DOS 6.3 by doing exactly the same thing and it works fine.
   What's going on here?????

William Chao
wchao@topaz.rutgers.edu

gardner@kodak.UUCP (dick gardner) (05/20/87)

In article <12082@topaz.rutgers.edu> wchao@topaz.rutgers.edu (William Chao) writes:

>   Can someone tell me how to make double-sided LDOS 5.3 boot-disks
>from a single-sided LDOS 5.3 master disk.  I tried first by formatting
>double-sided and then issue a BACKUP :0 :1 (S,I) to get the system
>files copied over, but it will not boot, I'll get a DISK-ERROR message
>on the screen.  I have successfully made double-sided boot-disks
>for LS-DOS 6.3 by doing exactly the same thing and it works fine.
>   What's going on here?????

If I remember correctly, BACKUP creates a mirror image copy.  You should
be able to COPY files from an SD diskette to a DD without problem.

Also, the QFB utility will do a conversion when backing up, (I think).

=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#
   Dick Gardner -- Eastman Kodak Co.  Rochester, New York  14650
                   Phone: (716) 477-1002
                   UUCP: {allegra,seismo}!rochester!kodak!gardner
   "Research is what I do when I don't know what I'm doing"
=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#

karld@chinet.UUCP (05/21/87)

In article <858@kodak.UUCP> gardner@kodak.UUCP (dick gardner) writes:
>In article <12082@topaz.rutgers.edu> wchao@topaz.rutgers.edu (William Chao) writes:
>>
>>   Can someone tell me how to make double-sided LDOS 5.3 boot-disks
>>from a single-sided LDOS 5.3 master disk.  I tried first by formatting
>>double-sided and then issue a BACKUP :0 :1 (S,I) to get the system
>>files copied over, but it will not boot, I'll get a DISK-ERROR message
>>on the screen.  I have successfully made double-sided boot-disks
>>for LS-DOS 6.3 by doing exactly the same thing and it works fine.
>>   What's going on here?????
>>
>If I remember correctly, BACKUP creates a mirror image copy.  You should
>be able to COPY files from an SD diskette to a DD without problem.
>
>Also, the QFB utility will do a conversion when backing up, (I think).

(Note: I have not investigated the boot program to insure that this is the
actual sequence of events, but from observation it seems to be the right
explanation).

Not quite. There is a subtle problem at work here. The file SYS0/SYS *MUST*
be on side (1) of the disk, or it will not boot. If you do a simple
"Backup" command, you flip a coin -- and usually lose. The proper way to
make a double-sided boot disk is to perform this:

FORMAT the diskette that is the target.
BACKUP SYS0/SYS:0 :1 (S,I)   [Make sure SYS0 is findable by BOOT/SYS]
BACKUP /SYS:0 :1 (S,I)       [Copy the rest of the system files]

I've used this procedure myself to make 80 track boot disks and it works
fine. I believe that TRSDOS 6.2/6.3 just gets lucky -- it all depends on
where the next free space is on the disk when SYS0/SYS copies.

--

Karl Denninger				UUCP : ...ihnp4!ddsw1!karl
Macro Computer Solutions		Dial : +1 (312) 566-8912 (300-2400)

uhclem@trsvax.UUCP (05/22/87)

<restor "madadv.sav">$			how i miss MDL...

To get a LDOS (5 series) to boot from double sided disk requires
a bit of trickery.  The boot sector is the same for single and
double-sided disks (it even gets written on hard disks) and it does
not know about double-sided media in the early stages of
booting.

Therefore, SYS0/SYS MUST reside on side 0 if you want to boot on that disk.

The way to arrange this on double-sided media is to format a floppy, then
backup SYS0/SYS by itself.  This puts the full boot track on as well, and
places SYS0/SYS starting at cylinder 1, side 0.  Then use backup (by class) to
copy the remainder of the system over to the disk.  Be sure to use
the NEW parameter when copying the remaining files, or you may recopy
SYS0 and not get it where you expect it.  Once you have built a double-sided
boot disk, you can use normal mirror-image copying to make duplicates.

<This information is provided by an individual and is not nor should be
 construed  as  being  provided  by  Radio  Shack or Tandy Corp.  Radio
 Shack/Tandy Corp has no obligation to support the information provided
 in  any  way.  If  it had  a 286  or 386  in  it,  I bet  it would  be
 supported so well it would get tea every day at 4.>

						"Thank you, Uh Clem."
						Frank Durda IV
						@ <trsvax!uhclem>
					...decvax!microsoft!trsvax!uhclem
					...convex!infoswx!trsvax!uhclem
					I was here first, you imposter!

"How many Intel 386 processors does it take to do a 32 bit multiply?
 One, but it takes two more to confirm it got it right."

kdf@nott-cs.UUCP (06/03/87)

Ahh! This does bring back happy memories! I haven't hacked LDOS for 18
months now!

As my memory serves me, there is a problem in the boot disk driver (the one
that has to load SYS0/SYS et. al.) which makes it impossible to boot
a DS disk....

However, a little sneaky fiddling can sort it out, this is the way I used to
do it on my Mod. 1:
format your DS disk.
Manually (i.e. with a sector editor) lock out the 2nd side of the disk for the
first few tracks (this involves editing the GAT table to make LDOS think the
space is allocated)
Now you can copy SYS0/SYS onto the disk.. also anything else you are liable to
need at boot time, like CONFIG/SYS etc.
Copy the rest of the system on
Your disk should now boot (I'd advise keeping one as a master - and copying it
from thence!)

I hope that info came out of the back of my mind OK - I definitely managed to get my
Mod. 1 booting DS/DD disks!

Ken Farnen.
If you want to E-mail me use ...!mcvax!ukc!matr-a!ken NOT the address at the
top of this message - THANKS :-)

wchao@topaz.rutgers.edu.UUCP (06/14/87)

  The correct way of generating a double-sided LDOS 5.3 boot-disk
is first format the disk using SIDES=2 option. then issue the
command: BACKUP SYS0/SYS:s :d (SYS)  and this will properly
put the SYS0/SYS file on the front side of the disk, now
do a full disk backup using BACKUP :s :d (SYS,INV).
  This is the way Roy Soltoff said to use in issue 3 of TMQ.

William Chao
wchao@topaz.rutgers.edu
seismo!rutgers!topaz!wchao

rhealey@ub.D.UMN.EDU.UUCP (06/17/87)

In article <5337@robin.cs.nott.ac.uk> kdf@cs.nott.ac.uk (Ken Farnen) writes:

>As my memory serves me, there is a problem in the boot disk driver (the one
>that has to load SYS0/SYS et. al.) which makes it impossible to boot
>a DS disk....

	Only with Model 1's, 3's and 4's handle it just fine! Has to do
	with the bootstrap code in ROM. Model 1 ROM's don't enable DD
	while 3's and 4's do

		-Rob

		rhealey@ub.d.umn.edu