[comp.sys.tandy] Anyone got a Tandy 1000?

mdharding@watmath.UUCP (07/15/87)

I subscribed to this newsgroup hoping to learn more about my trusty 1000,
but all I'm reading is stuff about the model 1's, etc.

So I'll ask a question - any knowledgeable person understand the differences
between a Tandy 1000 personal computer and an original IBM PC/XT? Having one
of the former, I'm interested as to why some programs don't work on my 1000
(only a few, however). Also, the new Tandy Dos makes disks not-readable on
non-Tandy machines. Why? No doubt it has to do with the BIOS or something,
I'd assume.

Anyway, thanks for listening - I'm out there waiting!

ahs@mtx5a.ATT.COM (Art Stadlin) (07/22/87)

> I subscribed to this newsgroup hoping to learn more about my trusty 1000,...
>
> ..... I'm interested as to why some programs don't work on my 1000....
> ....Also, the new Tandy Dos makes disks not-readable on
> non-Tandy machines. Why?...

You are not alone out there.  In 1986 I purchased a Tandy 1000 SX.
Since then, I do not recall any articles in this newgroup of interest
to me and my Tandy.  Maybe you and I can start the ball rolling!

On compatibility, I have found only one IBM PC-compatible program that
partially failed on my Tandy 1000 SX:  MicroSoft QuickBASIC compiler
Version 2.  The arrow keys didn't seem to work, but one can still
use the program without them.  Recently MicroSoft sent me their
version 3 upgrade package, and the arrow keys work!  Guess they
"fixed" their program. ;-)

On DOS versions, I don't know an answer to your question.  MS-DOS 3.2
came with my Tandy 1000 SX, and the disk formats are completely
compatible with IBM and AT&T machines.  I often create text files
at home using Tandy's DeskMate II software, and then bring the floppies
to my IBM PC/XT at work where I upload the .TXT files to UNIX for
high-speed letter-quality printing.

Speaking of DeskMate II, I must say that I am very impressed.  So much
so that I bought the 10 function key version for my IBM PC at work.
I really like the integrated word processing, database, and spreadsheet
capabilities, plus I use the telecom funtion to talk to UNIX, and to
top it off, I use the task-switching feature to pop out to MS-DOS
for another application, e.g., TimeLine project management software.

I would be interested in hearing some of the ways you use your Tandy 1000.
--
  \\\
   \\\\                                      Art Stadlin

scoop@aplvax.UUCP (Steve Cooper) (07/23/87)

In article <13938@watmath.UUCP> mdharding@watmath.waterloo.edu (Matt) writes:
>I subscribed to this newsgroup hoping to learn more about my trusty 1000,
>but all I'm reading is stuff about the model 1's, etc.
>
>So I'll ask a question - any knowledgeable person understand the differences
>between a Tandy 1000 personal computer and an original IBM PC/XT? Having one
>of the former, I'm interested as to why some programs don't work on my 1000
>(only a few, however). Also, the new Tandy Dos makes disks not-readable on
>non-Tandy machines. Why? No doubt it has to do with the BIOS or something,
>I'd assume.

I also have a 1000, and don't see much on the net.  I guess we don't have
much to say, huh?
As for thhe tandy vs iBM PC/XT, I think that's probably not a feasible
comparison.  The 1000 is more like a regular PC, with traits like the PC JR!
I'm not sure about the specifics, because I don't have docs in front of me,
but I think the PC and 1000 hcev different cpu's too.
Anyway, a Tandy catalog has the major similarities and differences mapped out.

--

			Steve Cooper
			scoop@aplvax.arpa

hank@well.UUCP (Hank Roberts) (07/23/87)

I bought my brother's family a Tandy 1000, and would also like very much to
hear from anyone who knows abut these machines -- trying to teach an
impoverished minister's family over the phone from 3000 miles away is tough
enough, and any incompatibilites with PCs will make things worse.  Is it true
that as someone said the *Tandy dos makes it impossible  to read disks on
my home IBM, should I ever get them to send me some?
    fortunately the 7 year old is able to follow my instructions and ask
questions, in which capacity he is wiser than his parents ...
HR

tim@ur-cvsvax.UUCP (Tim Takahashi) (07/23/87)

In article <720@aplvax.UUCP>, scoop@aplvax.UUCP (Steve Cooper) writes:
> In article <13938@watmath.UUCP> mdharding@watmath.waterloo.edu (Matt) writes:
> >I subscribed to this newsgroup hoping to learn more about my trusty 1000,
> >but all I'm reading is stuff about the model 1's, etc.
> >
> >So I'll ask a question - any knowledgeable person understand the differences
> >between a Tandy 1000 personal computer and an original IBM PC/XT? Having one
> >of the former, I'm interested as to why some programs don't work on my 1000
> >(only a few, however). Also, the new Tandy Dos makes disks not-readable on
> >non-Tandy machines. Why? No doubt it has to do with the BIOS or something,
> >I'd assume.

The Tandy 1000 family, 1000, 1000A, 1000SX and 1000EX are IBM PC
 Software Compatible Machines - there are a lot of hardware differences
 as follows

 ----------------------- Processor Speed 8087? DMA  Expansion Slots
 IBM PC, PC/XT             8088   4.77MHz Opt.  Yes     7
 Tandy 1000                8088   4.77MHz NO    Opt.    3 (short)
 Tandy 1000A               8088   4.77MHz Opt.  Opt.    3 (short)
 Tandy 1000EX             8088-2  7.16MHz NO    Opt.    Proprietary
 Tandy 1000SX             8088-2  7.16MHz Opt.  Yes!    5 (short)

 In addition, all 1000's feature a PCjr compatible sound chip,
  and a CGA board conforming to PCjr specs. (more colors, video
  memory is part of user memory).

  All 1000's use Phoenix Compatibility BIOS roms for as much PC
  compatibility
  as their hardware differences will allow.

  Tim

  )

tim@ur-cvsvax.UUCP (Tim Takahashi) (07/24/87)

In article <3605@well.UUCP>, hank@well.UUCP (Hank Roberts) writes:
> Is it true that as someone said the *Tandy dos makes it impossible
> to read disks on
> my home IBM, should I ever get them to send me some?

The great Tandy Disk Drive Format debate........

Tandy Disk Drive Formats.....

  MSDOS 360k (40tk DSDD)  - IBM Standard Format for "PC,XT"
   - Can read/write --> Tandy 1000, 1200, 3000HL
   - Can read --------> Tandy 2000, 3000

  MSDOS 1.2mb (96tk DSDD) - IBM Standard Format for "AT"
   - Can read/write --> Tandy 3000

  The "black sheep" that gives Tandy Disk Drive formats a bad name
   is the Tandy 2000 which supports an 80tk DSDD format (it was
   announced as an AT level machine long before the AT existed)
   which gives us 768k per disk. This was also before MSDOS 3.x
   appeared - this allows machines to support multiple disk formats.

Also I have it that Tandy will be introducing the following products in
 the very near future.....

 <$500  Tandy 1000 BX (?) - 8088, MSDOS and DESKMATE in ROM!
			    Built in CGA, 3 1/2" floppy

 >$1100 Tandy 1000 TX (?) - 80286 at 8 MHz, but with the Model 1000's
				short chassis. (not sure of disk type)
				but likely to be a PS/50 killer.

 >$3000 Tandy 4000 (?) ---- an 80386 Killer Machine

 a laser printer, and other goodies, etc.

 Tim Takahashi

mdharding@watmath.UUCP (07/24/87)

In article <1908@mtx5a.ATT.COM> ahs@mtx5a.ATT.COM (Art Stadlin) writes:
>> I subscribed to this newsgroup hoping to learn more about my trusty 1000,...
>>
>> ..... I'm interested as to why some programs don't work on my 1000....
>> ....Also, the new Tandy Dos makes disks not-readable on
>> non-Tandy machines. Why?...
>
>You are not alone out there.  In 1986 I purchased a Tandy 1000 SX.
>Since then, I do not recall any articles in this newgroup of interest
>to me and my Tandy.  Maybe you and I can start the ball rolling!

           Right on!!!

>On compatibility, I have found only one IBM PC-compatible program that
>partially failed on my Tandy 1000 SX:  MicroSoft QuickBASIC compiler
>Version 2.  The arrow keys didn't seem to work, but one can still
>use the program without them.  Recently MicroSoft sent me their
>version 3 upgrade package, and the arrow keys work!  Guess they
>"fixed" their program. ;-)
>
>On DOS versions, I don't know an answer to your question.  MS-DOS 3.2
>came with my Tandy 1000 SX, and the disk formats are completely
>compatible with IBM and AT&T machines.  I often create text files
>at home using Tandy's DeskMate II software, and then bring the floppies
>to my IBM PC/XT at work where I upload the .TXT files to UNIX for
>high-speed letter-quality printing.

BTW, thanx for responding.

First: I guess I should have been more specific. I own an original Tandy 1000
(we didn't get any EX or SX letters with ours), bought way back when they first
came out. It came with DOS 2.11, which was compatible with IBM PC's.

However, when I received an upgrade to DOS 3.2, I found that if you format disks/s (i.e. make them bootable), they refuse to boot up on non-1000's.  ('Diskette
only bootable on a Tandy 1000'). Not only is this strange but as far as I am
aware, my old versions didn't do that. Everything else works fine, of course -
just a Tandy quirk. (Maybe they are jealous of _their_ DOS).

As to compatibility, I have found several things that barf on my 1000. The
majority of them are graphics/game programs that some knowledgeable person told
me use different memory scan routines, and also look for a DMA on the mother-
board. (Thanks Tom, if you're out there). But also to my surprise, I purchased
a couple of games from Radio Shack stores designed especially for the 1000 (the
more notable of the two being Demon Attack) which presumably are optimized for a1000, yet don't even want to begin to work on IBM PC's. My opinion is that Tandyare stressing the idea that their 1000's (and others) are not just PC compat.'s,but a whole different breed, so to speak.

As to Deskmate software - no phlames intended, but I personally found it to be
practically worthless. About the only redeeming quality it has is that it fits
on a single disk, as opposed to integrated packages that need megs of space.

My next question: does anyone have a good explanation of what the HOLD key does on the 1000? Does it freeze output, or halt the cpu, or am I not even close?
As far as I'm concerned it's just great. I have been able to stop every single
program I've ever run (bar _one_ exception) instantaneously, frozen. It's great
for real-time games (of which I'm a real fan), the programs don't even know
about it and therefore can't protect against it when writing the code.

Let's hear from the Tandy 1000 owners amongst us!!!!!!!!

Matt. (mdharding@watmath.UUCP, I think)

bailey@elrond.CalComp.COM (Dave Bailey) (07/24/87)

I am considering a 1000sx but was somewhat turned off by the quality of
the characters. The character generator doesn't appear to be of the same
quality as some of the other clones. Any comments?

dave bailey
bailey@elrond.CalComp.COM or decvax!elrond!bailey

toma@tekgvs.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (07/25/87)

In article <648@ur-cvsvax.UUCP> tim@ur-cvsvax.UUCP (Tim Takahashi) writes:

> In addition, all 1000's feature a PCjr compatible sound chip,
>  and a CGA board conforming to PCjr specs. (more colors, video
>  memory is part of user memory).

Well I tried a program that I wrote to use the 1000 graphics abilities on
a 1000 SX and it bombed royally!  In fact, the EX and SX no longer advertise
Jr compatible graphics.  They do have some new advanced graphics modes that
are compatible with nobody.

Tom Almy
Tandy 1000 (early version) Owner

tim@ur-cvsvax.UUCP (Tim Takahashi) (07/26/87)

In article <1074@elrond.CalComp.COM>, bailey@elrond.CalComp.COM (Dave Bailey) writes:
> I am considering a 1000sx but was somewhat turned off by the quality of
> the characters. The character generator doesn't appear to be of the same
> quality as some of the other clones. Any comments?

Question # 1 - did you look at a 1000sx connected to the Shack's cheap
 RGB monitor (which is quite a bad buy) or did you look at it with the
 CM-11 monitor (which means you are really picky and want an NEC multisync
 with an EGA board - which costs as much as a 1000 :-) ).

 Suggestion # 1 -
 One thing to note is that the 1000sx video doesn't flicker when scrolling
 in the text
 mode (like some of the clones :-) ).

 Cheers!

 Tim

root@meowqat.UUCP (07/27/87)

well, i'm not sure that i count as knowledgable, but i'll give it a try.

if you open your Tandy 1000 and compare it to your PC, you will see a lot of
difference - LSI's all over the place. for the most part, though, they funtion
identically to the PC's discrete stuff.

the major differences (read: stuff you may actually notice in operation) are in
the video and RAM areas.

the Tandy 1000 does not have separate video RAM, but instead uses a portion
of the system RAM for video. this won't cause trouble with most programs,
since the BIOS will 'translate' IBM video addresses into something the 1000 can
use. occasionally, however, an IBM program that requires N RAM may require N
plus one more bank on the 1000 (since some of the RAM is used up for video).

also, the Tandy 1000 supports some additional video modes (also found in the
PC jr). this allows some really nice graphics that you can't get on a standard
PC. one quirk here: the PC jr video modes require the use of interrupt 5 for
vertical sync. on the PC, this was used for hard disk. the 1000 uses interrupt
2 for hard disk instead.

as for the DOS being bootable only on the 1000, well, IBM never said the PC was
Tandy compatible. Some of the neat extra features the 1000 uses might cause a
PC to choke.

finally, if you have a newer version of the 1000, (1000EX or 1000SX) you may
also have a selectable clock speed - 4.77 or 7(and change) MHz. on the 1000SX
the interrupts discussed above are switch selectable - you can have a PC
hard disk board, or expanded video modes, but not both.

hope that helps some.

		larri@meowqat
(i'd give a more complete path, but i'm not sure what it is today)

[the opinions expressed above are my own and in no way reflect those of my
employer. if my employer has opinions, let 'em post them themselves.]

jjc@sdiris1.UUCP (Jim J. Carter) (07/28/87)

in article <14046@watmath.waterloo.edu>, mdharding@watmath.UUCP says:

> As to compatibility, I have found several things that barf on my 1000. The
> majority of them are graphics/game programs that some knowledgeable person
> told me use different memory scan routines, and also look for a DMA on the
> mother- board. (Thanks Tom, if you're out there). But also to my
> surprise, I purchased a couple of games from Radio Shack stores
> designed especially for the 1000 (the more notable of the two being
> Demon Attack) which presumably are optimized for a1000, yet don't even
> want to begin to work on IBM PC's.  My opinion is that Tandyare
> stressing the idea that their 1000's (and others) are not just PC
> compat.'s,but a whole different breed, so to speak.

I just purchased a Tech. ref manual on the tandy 1000A (the old 1000) .
I have also been trying to play with MINIX on the 1000.  That has
opened up a whole can of worms.  The tandy 1000A as far as I can tell
is a pc-jr.

MINIX (A unix Version-7 for pc-compats) doesn't use the BIOS, and as a result
shows just how compatible each pc is.  Anyway, its fun to figure out the
differences and fix up an opperating system.

> As to Deskmate software - no phlames intended, but I personally found it to be
> practically worthless. About the only redeeming quality it has is that it fits
> on a single disk, as opposed to integrated packages that need megs of space.

I must agree.  The software is slow(in my opinion). Although deskmate
is a nice integrated package, it lacks features I can get from single
programs which I would not sacrifice for the integrated package.

> My next question: does anyone have a good explanation of what the
> HOLD key does on the 1000? Does it freeze output, or halt the cpu, or
> am I not even close? As far as I'm concerned it's just great. I have
> been able to stop every single program I've ever run (bar _one_
> exception) instantaneously, frozen. It's great for real-time games (of
> which I'm a real fan), the programs don't even know about it and
> therefore can't protect against it when writing the code.

I looked in the ref manual under Keyboard section and found that the
key number = 48 and the scan code = 0x46.  as far as the hardware goes,
there is nothing special about the HOLD key.  It must be handled in the
BIOS.  Also, I noticed that the HOLD key doesn't have the same effect
when MINIX is running.  From these two observations, I would have to
conclude that the bios does something special when you press <HOLD>

My question,
I purchased a multi function board from Advanced Transducer Devices
(alias Zucker boards), and I have been trying to figure out how to
set/get the time from the clock chip from assembly.

If someone had a program that did this, it would be nice if you could
mail me a copy, or I would send a disk.
Every time I call ATD they say :
  I don't even know how to program the clock, ... We don't even have
  the source for that program.

A real cop-out as far as service goes.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

> Let's hear from the Tandy 1000 owners amongst us!!!!!!!!

O.K. let's here from someone else !!!

> Matt. (mdharding@watmath.UUCP, I think)

UUCP: ...!hp-sdd!crash!sdiris1!jim     |  Jim Carter
 or:  ...!sdcsvax!jack!man!sdiris1!jim |  Control Data Corporation (CIM)
Work : +1 619 450 6516                 |  4455 Eastgate Mall,
Home : +1 619 455 0607                 |  San Diego, CA  92121

mdharding@watmath.UUCP (07/28/87)

In article <649@ur-cvsvax.UUCP> tim@ur-cvsvax.UUCP (Tim Takahashi) writes:
>In article <3605@well.UUCP>, hank@well.UUCP (Hank Roberts) writes:
>> Is it true that as someone said the *Tandy dos makes it impossible
>> to read disks on
>> my home IBM, should I ever get them to send me some?
>
>The great Tandy Disk Drive Format debate........

_I_ didn't say that Tandy disks are unreadable, just that formatted disks
with the system (i.e. /s) don't boot on IBM's. The data is still readable.

:-)

kevin@iisat.UUCP (07/30/87)

In article <1074@elrond.CalComp.COM>, bailey@elrond.CalComp.COM (Dave Bailey) writes:
> I am considering a 1000sx but was somewhat turned off by the quality of
> the characters. The character generator doesn't appear to be of the same
> quality as some of the other clones. Any comments?
>
> dave bailey
> bailey@elrond.CalComp.COM or decvax!elrond!bailey

If I remember rightly, that's only because of the video board (built in?).
I'm using a CGA board (doubles as mono-board) and I find the
character quality execellent. I have seen the 1000SX screen, and it's
only because of the resolution which is around 300x128 (or so) as apposed
to 640x340 which is what I'm using. Get someone at the store where
you saw the machine to put in a higher resolution video board
(not necessarily colour).

Tandy also has a short board out which emulates CGA,Hercules, and EGA
for around $500 (300-400 US)... that would give you better definition
but you'd have to check to see if it would work in a 1000.

Hope this helps you some...
Cheers...
--
Kevin Davies		International Information Service (IIS)
UUCP:  {seismo|utai|watmath|garfield} !dalcs!iisat!kevin

beattie@netxcom.UUCP (Brian Beattie) (08/03/87)

In article <277@iisat.UUCP> kevin@iisat.UUCP (Kevin Davies) writes:
>In article <1074@elrond.CalComp.COM>, bailey@elrond.CalComp.COM (Dave Bailey) writes:
>> I am considering a 1000sx but was somewhat turned off by the quality of
>> the characters.
>>
>> dave bailey
>> bailey@elrond.CalComp.COM or decvax!elrond!bailey
>
>If I remember rightly, that's only because of the video board (built in?).
yes
>I'm using a CGA board (doubles as mono-board) and I find the
the builtin video is a CGA type display.
>character quality execellent. I have seen the 1000SX screen, and it's
>only because of the resolution which is around 300x128 (or so) as apposed
It may well be the monitor.  I use a BW monitor and the display is quite
satisfactory.
>to 640x340 which is what I'm using. Get someone at the store where
        240 (if it is a CGA)
>you saw the machine to put in a higher resolution video board
try a better (or BW) monitor.
>--
>Kevin Davies		International Information Service (IIS)
>UUCP:  {seismo|utai|watmath|garfield} !dalcs!iisat!kevin

Check before you post.
Brian Beattie			| Phone: (703)749-2365
NetExpress Communications, Inc.	| uucp: seismo!sundc!netxcom!beattie
1953 Gallows Road, Suite 300	|
Vienna,VA 22180			|

sciacca@masscomp.UUCP (Gary Sciacca) (08/12/87)

I bought a Tandy 1000 just before the EX and SX came out. I have been
very pleased with everything since. I added a WD HD controller with a
Maxtor 140MB drive with little problems. I also bought the Dr. Dr. Zucker
add in memory with DMA chip. I still have not run across any programs,
bought or Public Domain, that don't run on the Tandy. I recently purchased
a $25 dual comm board that worked perfectly when I installed it. I'm now
able to run Procomm and having fun dialing to various BBS across the country.
I guess I really have nothing but good things to say about the 1000. I wonder
if the EX and SX models are the same ??