[comp.sys.tandy] 3 1/2" floppy considerations

reyn@trsvax.UUCP (09/01/87)

As a matter of personal curiousity, I am interested to hear from Tandy users
concerning Tandy's move to 3 1/2" floppies on all of the new machines.  I
personally feel that the increased storage and more reliable packaging of
the floppies more than compensate for the increased costs of the media and
the inconvenience of copying existing 5 1/4" disks to the new media.

My guess is that most people will opt for one drive of each variety, a 3 1/2"
for new stuff and a 5 1/4" for what's already paid for.

Concerning your existing software base, what if any legal issues are raised
by copying your bought and payed for 5 1/4" software to a 3 1/2" for personal
use only.  Is it legal for a third party to do this for you (for a price)?

Any thoughts?

						John Reynolds

<The information contained in this note reflects my own personal views and
 should in no way be contrued as representing the views of Tandy/Radio Shack.
 Tandy/Radio Shack is under no obligation to support any position reflected
 by my ramblings>

trost@reed.UUCP (09/17/87)

In article <193300024@trsvax> reyn@trsvax.UUCP writes:
>Concerning your existing software base, what if any legal issues are raised
>by copying your bought and payed for 5 1/4" software to a 3 1/2" for personal
>use only.  Is it legal for a third party to do this for you (for a price)?
>
>Any thoughts?
>
>						John Reynolds

My understanding is that it is your definite right to be able to make
copies of all your software, the purpose being to allow you to make
backups of the programs.  Therefore, there is nothing at all wrong
with copying between different sized media; and personally, I would
find it quite convenient to be able to hide the original 5 1/4 in a
safe place and carry around the more protected 3 1/nth disk with me.

--
...!(ogcvax|tektronix)!reed!trost @ All characters @ My opinions may or
"Ooh ick!" -- Penfold, anonymous  @ are ficticious @ may not represent