[comp.sys.tandy] VGA on PC?

c60b-ia@buddy.Berkeley.EDU (Sugih Jamin) (10/02/87)

Hello,

I have an old Tandy 1000HD, which is supposed to be PC compatible, I wonder
if it is possible to add a VGA compatible graphics controller to my box?

If yes, could anybody suggest any good board?  The one from Video7 is
supposed to be able to coexist with another grahics board--the Tandy's
graphics controller comes with the motherboard.

Thank's.

sugih jamin
(c60b-ia.berkeley.edu)

aja@i.cc.purdue.edu (Mike Rowan) (10/03/87)

In article <4110@zen.berkeley.edu>, c60b-ia@buddy.Berkeley.EDU (Sugih Jamin) writes:
> Hello,
> I have an old Tandy 1000HD, which is supposed to be PC compatible, I wonder
> if it is possible to add a VGA compatible graphics controller to my box?
>
> If yes, could anybody suggest any good board?  The one from Video7 is
> supposed to be able to coexist with another grahics board--the Tandy's
> graphics controller comes with the motherboard.

I just got info from STB systems about thier new VGA card.  It looks
  to be a "real" vga clone.  But I would think a 3-4 month wait would
  be wise, so that alot of clones hit the market, and the price/performance
will be better.

mike

toma@tekgvs.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (10/05/87)

In article <4110@zen.berkeley.edu> c60b-ia@buddy.Berkeley.EDU (Sugih Jamin) writes:
>Hello,
>
>I have an old Tandy 1000HD, which is supposed to be PC compatible, I wonder
>if it is possible to add a VGA compatible graphics controller to my box?

No, you cannot add another display adapter because you cannot disable the one
built into the system, and they share the same addresses.

Tom Almy
Owner of a Tandy 1000.