[comp.sys.tandy] TANDY 1000 SX or TX

mitch@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Gerdisch) (10/01/87)

I see a decent amount of griping about the Tandy 2000 computers.
What about the 1000 series.
Has anyone out there used any of these PC clones?
If so how has it performed?
How is Tandy's support?
Can it run any IBM PC software or are there some incompatibilities?

I would appreciate any input since I am currently shopping for a computer
and the Tandy 1000 SX (and possibly TX) are in the running.

Thanks,

Mitch Gerdisch
ihnp4!ihlpl!mitch

sciacca@masscomp.UUCP (Gary Sciacca) (10/02/87)

Distribution:usa

In article <2778@ihlpl.ATT.COM> mitch@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Gerdisch) writes:
>I see a decent amount of griping about the Tandy 2000 computers.
>What about the 1000 series.
>Has anyone out there used any of these PC clones?

Yes, I've owned a Tandy 1000 for about 2 years !!

>If so how has it performed?

If you mean actual compute performance, 1.1 on the Norton scale is all you get!!

>How is Tandy's support?

The only time I needed their support was to set up a modem. I asked for
prices of their options and compared against non-Tandy options. I bought
all non-Tandy add ons such as memory, serial port, Hard disk controller.
Had no problems adding any PC/XT compatable hardware options.

>Can it run any IBM PC software or are there some incompatibilities?

I have a 120 MB Maxtor on my Tandy with about 32MB of software from Public
Domain stuff to off the shelf application packages. I have never run into
a piece of software that doesn't work !!! Of course there is always a first
time.

>I would appreciate any input since I am currently shopping for a computer
>and the Tandy 1000 SX (and possibly TX) are in the running.

I would go with the TX instead of the SX for the performance, Get the
5 1/4 inch floppy option for sanity sake.

japplega@csm9a.UUCP (Joe Applegate) (10/05/87)

>I see a decent amount of griping about the Tandy 2000 computers.
>What about the 1000 series.
>Has anyone out there used any of these PC clones?
>If so how has it performed?
>How is Tandy's support?
>Can it run any IBM PC software or are there some incompatibilities?
>
>I would appreciate any input since I am currently shopping for a computer
>and the Tandy 1000 SX (and possibly TX) are in the running.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Mitch Gerdisch

From my experiance I would recommend you avoid Tandy like the plague!!!
First of all the 1000 series are fairly hardware INcompatible with the IBM!
Tandy appears to have designed them to work with ONLY Tandy peripherals and
boards.... not only are the slots limited to 10" in length but their brackets
are shorter than the industry standard and feature a "bent" end... the few
boards that work in my Tandy (most conflict with the motherboard) have required
a hacksaw and pliers to install... I would love to see the results of sending
in a board for warentee work after modifying it to work on Tandy's so-called
"Compatible"!!!

Furthermore, the monitor uses a non-standard scan line.... Tandy provides a
fix with software for standard monitors (which ARE FAR less expensive!)...
The printer connection is also non-standard requiring a Tandy cable that cost
more than any of the local PC stores in my area... it also does not work
properly with non-Tandy printers (such as EPSON's)... in order to use an
industry standard printer (which costs less and is supported by PC software)
I had to cover pin 14 of the cable with tape.  The joysticks are also non
standard and will not work with some games!

The biggest problem is the keyboard,  Though is has more keys than the old
IBM keyboard it is missing several keys that are required by certain programs
(Framework, Multimate, What's Best, Minix)... software patches have been
developed by several users to remap some of the other keys for these programs,
but why by a computer that is advertised as IBM compatible... gets no support
from it's vendor, and requires you to hunt on BBS' for patches to make it work!

Our user group has documented 37 hardware and software incompatiblities in
the 1000 series computer.  13 of them were improved in the SX, but 8 new ones
were introduced.  Tandy has repeatedly ignored us and refused to provide
service or answers... they have also refused to provide patches and fixes
for these problems to their customers or to allow posting of our 1000 support
group in their stores (which I view as the only 1000 support in the Denver
area!)

"Why buy Tandy, when there are so many better values"

    Joe Applegate - Colorado School of Mines Computing Center
        President of the Denver Metro MSDOS Users Group
            {seismo, hplabs}!hao!isis!csm9a!japplega
                              or
 SYSOP @ M.O.M. AI BBS - (303) 273-3989 - 300/1200/2400 8-N-1 24 hrs.

WPW@PSUVM.BITNET (10/06/87)

I own a Tandy 1000 SX and have found that all PC-Compatible software
will run on it.  As far as the TX, the two machines are basically the
same with the exception of the extra memory and the 286 processor.
My recommendation is to go with the TX and add a 5 1/4 inch drive
in the open area, that way you get the best of both worlds.  For the money
you cant be product.  In reference to the negative comments about the
Tandy 2000,  for specific purposes the 2000 when it was being closed
out at $599.00 was absolutely untouchable.  The speed and capacity
was unmatched by anything in that price catagory.

As far as support goes, is there anywhere in the country that you
can go without a Radio Shack nearby, not that I know of.  Tandy's
prices on support contracts are much more reasonable than any compeditor
and if you did not know,  any Tandy CPU purchased comes with a 30 day
free telephone support contract.

d1h@psuvm.bitnet.UUCP (10/07/87)

has several slots for the long cards that are used by the IBM PC.  As far
as a card being sent in for repair, Tandy has started a policy within the
last two years which in effect prevents warranty problems with the cards.
  If the card is damaged which is unlikely as they are fairly easy to install
even to a novice, Radio Shack will replace the card with a NEW one and they
will take care of the repair of the card.
  The Tandy 1000's are 99.9% compatible with the IBM PC the .1% is the case
in which Tandy software does not run on the IBM PC, but with all of the
software available for the PC who cares.

   I have been in the market for a PC for some time and when the  time
comes to purchase one it will be a Tandy, because you can not beat the
price or the support/service that Radio Shack/Tandy gives you with a local
Area Training and Support Center within driving distance.  They also offer
classes for the beginner to get started with the package which is included
 DESKMATE , which is seven packages in one (filer,spreadsheet,telecom,calendar,
text editor, etc.)

 Daryl R. Hoffman
-------
D1H@PSUVM.BITNET

jvc@prism.UUCP (10/08/87)

Remember that Joe generalizes too much.  Maybe his info about the
1000s are correct but Tandy's other clones (the real clones,
1200,3000,4000 series) are reliable and 100% compatible [I either own
or have owned a model from each series].  There have been several
reviews in PC Tech Journal and other computer magazines.  It would be
a good idea to look them up.

Since Joe does not have first and has not claimed he has second hand
knowledge on these clones (1200, 3000, 4000 series) then it would be
best to take anything he says (or implies) about them with a grain of
salt (maybe the whole shaker).

[I will not discuss compatibility of the 1000's since I don't have
first hand info on the subject]

jvc@mirror.tmc.com

root@ozdaltx.UUCP (root) (10/08/87)

Some years ago whilst I was surviving as a member of the
local Tandy ATSO (Area Training and Support) group, I
happened to catch a part of a memo from someone in the
"towers" to whoever in R & D.   <Alright, so I'm nosey>

Basicly, it said, (paraphrased) "in order to protect future
Tandy accessory sales and investments, the board discouraged
*total* MSDOS/IBM compatibility and that R&D should follow
the established independent line of thinking as evidenced by
the model 2000."

This has been an "inside" joke among Tandy-ites for years,
that certain incompatibilitys were automatically built-in to
some products. I know! I just found my IBM compatable
printer - isn't!

Can you spell 'Class-action suit" or say David Horowitz? ;-)

| Scotty                     |  Adapt - Enjoy - Survive    |
| ihnp4!killer!ozdaltx!sysop |  "Ad Venerem Securiorem"    |