[comp.sys.tandy] A Matter Of Taste

7GMADISO@vu-vlsi.UUCP (12/19/87)

A point of order:  It is considered to be in extremely poor
taste to use the term 'Trash-80' or 'TrashDOS'.  I will concede
that the early versions of TRSDOS weren't anything to rave
about, but we in the TRS-80 user community have taken this
B.S. from people (predominantly CrApple (:-) users...) for
over 10 years now, and it's time to call a HALT.

                    ---- George Madison

--------------------
''Your logic is impeccable, Captain; we are in grave danger.''
                           -- Mr. Spock ('The Changeling')

''Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
 Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.''
                           -- Groucho Marx

''Shut off that light, Stella; I won't be looked at in this
  merciless glare!''
                           -- Donald (from 'Brothers')
--------------------
BITNET: 7gmadiso@pomona
UUCP:   psuvax1!pomona.bitnet!7gmadiso

dpz@athos.rutgers.edu (David P. Zimmerman) (12/22/87)

In article <1250@vu-vlsi.UUCP> cbmvax!uunet!mcvax!POMONA.bitnet!7GMADISO@vu-vlsi.UUCP writes:

> A point of order: It is considered to be in extremely poor taste to
> use the term 'Trash-80' or 'TrashDOS'.

By you, perhaps.  Not by me.  What's the big deal?  I've had 6-7
TRS-80 computers over the last 5 years, and the terms TRaSh-80 and
TRaShDOS have never bothered me.  It's almost become a term of
endearment, if not nostalgia.  It's like someone laughing at a
Countach :-).

						dpz
--
Internet: dpz@rutgers.edu   UUCP: rutgers!dpz   Bitnet: zimmerman@zodiac

conklin@eecae.UUCP (Terry Conklin) (12/23/87)

Indeed, George is correct. The reference "trashdos" is highly
inaccurate, since A.) FEW Mod I/III owners use real RS-TRSDOS and B.)
Most TRSDOS replacements (notably Multidos, Newdos80, etc.) were
terribly sophisticated and were very much more advanced than for example
PC-DOS 3.0 (3.3 is getting pretty involved in it's own right.) TRS-DOS
(even the original!) Provides for multitasking through interrupt service
tables, variable length records, and mainframe-style multiple-level
multiple password protection for files. Very useful features,
none of which are in other micro doses. (Not counting Amiga's.)
Execute only runtime protection even extended into BASIC programs, which
would not list or run. (EITHER from DOS or BASIC.)

wcf@psuhcx (William C. Fenner) (12/24/87)

In article <485@athos.rutgers.edu> dpz@athos.rutgers.edu (David P. Zimmerman) writes:
>In article <1250@vu-vlsi.UUCP> cbmvax!uunet!mcvax!POMONA.bitnet!7GMADISO@vu-vlsi.UUCP writes:
>
>> A point of order: It is considered to be in extremely poor taste to
>> use the term 'Trash-80' or 'TrashDOS'.
>
>By you, perhaps.  Not by me.  What's the big deal?  I've had 6-7
>TRS-80 computers over the last 5 years, and the terms TRaSh-80 and
>TRaShDOS have never bothered me.  It's almost become a term of
>endearment, if not nostalgia.  It's like someone laughing at a
>Countach :-).
Not to me.  I always hated it when people call my computer a Trash-80, and
I still do.  I have never used that term in reference to my equipment, and
never shall. I'm proud of my ol' model I!  It's been running a BBS for the
past 4 years and hasn't had any major troubles.  It's a faithful word processor
and has helped me through countless term papers, etc.  Although I have caved
in and am getting an IBM compatible in the near future, I plan on still using
my TRS-80.  I'm not going to throw it out until it stops working.

   __      _  _      _____   Bill Fenner      WCF @ PSUHCX.BITNET
  /  )    // //       /  '                    wcf @ hcx.psu.edu