[comp.sys.tandy] TRS-80 MOD I. How do I...

cenkl@linus.UUCP (01/10/88)

I have two 5-1/4 disk drives, a fully populated expansion interface as
well as the cpu and a monitor.

My question is: In what manner do I connect the disk drives to the
expansion interface in order to be able to boot the system.
I was given this system with a wealth of software but minimal
documentation and I can't figure out how to connect the disk drives!

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-mike cenkl%linus@mitre-bedford.arpa  or <back-bone-site>!linus!cenkl

wcf@psuhcx (William C. Fenner) (01/12/88)

In article <21505@linus.UUCP> cenkl@linus.UUCP (Michael Cenkl) writes:
>I have two 5-1/4 disk drives, a fully populated expansion interface as
           ^^^^ do you know if they're double-sided? double density?
                This doesn't matter from an installation point of view,
                just from a storage point of view.

>My question is: In what manner do I connect the disk drives to the
>expansion interface in order to be able to boot the system.
>I was given this system with a wealth of software but minimal
>documentation and I can't figure out how to connect the disk drives!

The drives should be connected by a ribbon cable, with an edge card connector
on the end.  You have to plug this edge card connector onto an edge card on
the back of the Expansion Interface. Sorry I can't get more specific than
that, but I have a non-Tandy EI.  You will need a DOS, if you don't have one.
My suggestion is Newdos/80.  It's one of the most popular operating systems
for the TRS80.  Another is Multidos.  I'm not sure if you can get multidos
any more though.

If you need any more help, feel free to send me mail.

   __      _  _      _____   Bill Fenner      wcf @ psuhcx.bitnet
  /  )    // //       /  '                    wcf @ hcx.psu.edu
 /--<  o // //     ,-/-, _  __  __  _  __     ihnp4!psuvax1!psuhcx.bitnet!wcf
/___/_<_</_</_    (_/   </_/ <_/ <_</_/ (_

root@coxeng1.UUCP (John R. Petersen) (01/15/88)

In article <3208@psuvax1.psu.edu> wcf@psuhcx (William C. Fenner) writes:
>The drives should be connected by a ribbon cable, with an edge card connector
>on the end.  You have to plug this edge card connector onto an edge card on
>the back of the Expansion Interface. Sorry I can't get more specific than
>that, but I have a non-Tandy EI.  You will need a DOS, if you don't have one.
>My suggestion is Newdos/80.  It's one of the most popular operating systems
>for the TRS80.

NEWDOS/80 is no longer sold or supported by Apparat Inc.  You may still'
find some vendors that have it available tho'

perl@step.dwr.com (Robert Perlberg) (01/16/88)

The ribbon cable has one connector at one end and a series of 4
connectors at the other end.  The end with the single connector goes
into the EI.  The other four connectors are for the disk drives.  The
connector closest to the EI is the boot drive (drive 0).  Drive numbers
increase with distance along the cable from the EI.  This is done by
having some of the pins missing from some of the connectors.

Robert Perlberg
Dean Witter Reynolds Inc., New York
philabs!step!perl

danielw@wybbs.UUCP (Daniel Wynalda SYSOP) (01/17/88)

In article <32@coxeng1.UUCP>, root@coxeng1.UUCP (John R. Petersen) writes:
> In article <3208@psuvax1.psu.edu> wcf@psuhcx (William C. Fenner) writes:
> >My suggestion is Newdos/80.  It's one of the most popular operating systems
> >for the TRS80.
>
> NEWDOS/80 is no longer sold or supported by Apparat Inc.  You may still'
> find some vendors that have it available tho'

I have a legal question here.  Say you purchase a new Model 4, and have
200 in your plant (this is hypothetical).  Of which you purchased newdos
80 for and are running production information on that Operating system.

You want to add one more machine, but can't find the O/S.  Since Aparrat
will no longer support/work with anyone on the old TRS/80's, but will
only work with MS-DOS stuff, do they therefore forfeit the right to keep
you from using it on more machines than purchased for?   Just a question
as I used to run a 4, but no longer use it.

--
danielw@wybbs.UUCP           |	Daniel Wynalda - SYSOP
..ihnp4!killer!wybbs!danielw |	Consultants Connection  (616) 457-1964

cyrill@scicom.alphacdc.com (Cyro Lord) (01/22/88)

For the information of all, Apparat Inc doesn't seem to be in selling
anything. The phones are disconnected and I hear they went under. If
some one has more info, please let all us old m1/3 user of NewDos know.
--
Cyro Lord	Alpha Comm. Dev. Corp.  2570 Sky Ranch Rd. Aurora, CO. 80011
UUCP/DOMAIN	{boulder,hao,isis}!scicom!cyrill / cyrill@scicom.alphacdc.com

gardner@kodak.UUCP (dick gardner) (01/26/88)

In article <1500@scicom.alphacdc.com> cyrill@scicom.UUCP (Cyro Lord) writes:
>For the information of all, Apparat Inc doesn't seem to be in selling
>anything. The phones are disconnected and I hear they went under. If
>some one has more info, please let all us old m1/3 user of NewDos know.
>--
>Cyro Lord	Alpha Comm. Dev. Corp.  2570 Sky Ranch Rd. Aurora, CO. 80011
>UUCP/DOMAIN	{boulder,hao,isis}!scicom!cyrill / cyrill@scicom.alphacdc.com
>		"Endeaver to Persevere"

	You might try LDOS. It is still supported by Logical Systems
and Misosys.  Don't have the addresses here at work, but will get them
to you if you want.  I've up-graded to LDOS 5.3 for my MAX-80, and find
it to be rather painless. Gained some new features, and some existing
utilities were improved.  All files are now time-stamped.  The directory
structure was changed (eliminated the ACCESS password) to allow using
dates to 1999.  A directory conversion utility is supplied, which is
easy to use, and it doesn't take a whole lot of effort to make all of
your old disks 5.3 compatible.  Cost is $34.95.

   Dick Gardner -- Eastman Kodak Co.  Rochester, New York  14650
                   Phone: (716) 477-1002
                   UUCP: {allegra,rutgers}!rochester!kodak!gardner
  "Oh yeah?!? Well, MY computer is SOOOOO FAST, it executes an infinite
     						loop in 6 seconds!!!"