[comp.sys.tandy] VT-100 for Model 4

7GMADISO@vu-vlsi.UUCP (01/29/88)

Date: 28 January 1988, 16:47:55 PST
From: 7GMADISO at POMONA
To:   COMP-SYS-TANDY at VU-VLSI

There is a ShareWare terminal program for the Model 4 called FastTerm
which does a respectable VT-100 emulation; I don't know if it's as
complete as you need, but in any event you will wind up with a MUCH
better terminal program than (shudder!) DeskMate!!  If you don't have
access to a BBS with TRS-80 software, or GEnie or PLink or CI$, EMail
me and we'll work something out.

                    ---- George Madison

--------------------
''Your logic is impeccable, Captain; we are in grave danger.''
                           -- Mr. Spock ('The Changeling')

''Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
 Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.''
                           -- Groucho Marx

''Shut off that light, Stella; I won't be looked at in this
  merciless glare!''
                           -- Donald (from 'Brothers')
--------------------
BITNET: 7gmadiso@pomona
UUCP:   psuvax1!pomona.bitnet!7gmadiso

karl@ddsw1.UUCP (Karl Denninger) (01/31/88)

In article <1321@vu-vlsi.UUCP> mcvax!POMONA.bitnet!7GMADISO@vu-vlsi.UUCP writes:
>There is a ShareWare terminal program for the Model 4 called FastTerm
>which does a respectable VT-100 emulation; I don't know if it's as
>complete as you need, but in any event you will wind up with a MUCH
>better terminal program than (shudder!) DeskMate!!  If you don't have
>access to a BBS with TRS-80 software, or GEnie or PLink or CI$, EMail
>me and we'll work something out.

We have a killer package available called DTERM PLUS; this used to be a
commercial thing but now is freely available (we're not even asking for
donations, but will take what's given :-)  Besides being ungodly powerful
and programmable, it's capable of running at 19.2Kbaud, emulates ANSI or
anything else you want to define (utility to make the definition files
included), dials off a directory, and does all kinds of other neat things.
The iterative/intelligent response capability is especially nice (ie:
program it to download all your mail from CIS at 3AM, regardless of how much
mail you might have; it can branch in a program depending on what's
received).

It will be posted here as soon as I can get everything into the right place
and figure out the best way to get it out on the net....

Two caveats:
1) The package is in a .ess file.  This is a special archive that we
   developed because ARC4 and ARCHIVE both trash the LRL of files; this is
   unacceptable in this case as DTERM *needs* those intact.  Thus, the .ess
   file needs to be unpacked after reception with a short utility (which I
   will include, of course).

2) The only way I can figure to post it is to uuencode the whole mess.
   Is this workable for people out there? (how many of you simply could
   not unpack such an archive?)

Those who can't wait can find it on our BBS, dial the modem number below in
the .signature.  If you're truly lost, call the voice line (voice of
course)....

Note that we have *source* to this thing as well as source and executables
to our ERACS V8.0 bbs/remote access system.  ERACS V8 includes DTERM PLUS as
well, so if you grab the bbs files (warning: SIX single-sided disks worth!)
you get the whole shooting match.  The BBS/remote access package is in wide
use in the Tandy world; we have about 200 copies out in the US.  ERACS V8
also was once a commercial product now turned 'freeware'....

I am also considering posting the ERACS V8 distribution.  This would be one
ungodly monster of a posting, perhaps in as many as 18 parts.  Is there any
interest in such a huge (but verrrry useful) package?

--
Karl Denninger		       |  Data: +1 312 566-8912
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc. | Voice: +1 312 566-8910