[comp.sys.tandy] Need a terminal emulator for TRS-80/4

theatr01@oswego.UUCP (Timothy Squitieri) (01/26/88)

I am using a TRS-80 model 4 computer with my local UNIX system and would
appreciate it if anyone could recommend a terminal emulation program.
that supports vt100, vt52 or any other reasonable form of terminal.

I am currently using Deskmate and find it difficult to work in vi
using "open mode".

If there aren't any better emulators available, can someone send me a
termcap entry for Deskmate?

Thanks in advance!

-Tim Squitieri

INTERNET: theatr01@oswego.oswego.edu

jon@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Jon George Seidl) (02/07/88)

In article <626@oswego.UUCP> theatr01@oswego.UUCP (Timothy Squitieri) writes:
>I am using a TRS-80 model 4 computer with my local UNIX system and would
>appreciate it if anyone could recommend a terminal emulation program.
>that supports vt100, vt52 or any other reasonable form of terminal.
>
>-Tim Squitieri

We're using a Kermit program (version 5.2, I think) for the TRS-80 4/4ps
at work. It came with a filter that allows it to emulate an 'h19' quite
effectively (haven't had any problems with the full-screen games, ELM
or vi/emacs features of this UNIX system). We've ran it at 9600+
but it has a tendency to lose characters at these speeds (could be noise
in our wire, too). Anyway, 4800 is fast enough for most applications.

It has a KERMIT/INI file that allows automatic dial-out, login, etc.
which is a nice feature. It is missing metakeys but we found that the
Key-stroke multiplier feature of LS-DOS fills-in just fine in this area.

							Jon

    \_/ \/\/ - /\/\ilwaukee      "Sure it's a gigantic, hideous insect.
				     but it may be a gigantic, hideous insect
 Internet: jon@csd4.milw.wisc.edu	            in need of help."
   bitnet: jon%csd4.milw.wisc.edu@wiscmac3.bitnet
     Uucp: uwvax!uwmcsd1!uwmcsd4!jon